Reccomend best tube amp for Les Paul Studio under $ 500

cc999

• Members

I have been looking into getting a small all tube amp as well. So, I will be watching this thread to see what suggestions people provide you. A problem I have is that I live in a condo where I can't get very loud. I often use headphones so I can crank up the volume, so a headphone jack is almost a neccessity for me. Tube amps are expensive compared to solid state ones and there are only a few under $500 as I see it.

Fender Blues Jr. (15 watt - approx $400 new)

Ampeg J12T (15 watt - $500 new)

Crate V1512T (15 watt - $500 new)

Peavey Valveking 112 (15 watt - $400 new)

Crate V16 Palomino (15 watt - $400 new)

Epiphone Blues Custom (30 watt - $400 new)

Fender Pro Jr. (15 watt - $300 new but doesn't have reverb)

These are the majority of the big brand name amps I see out there too choose from. I haven't tried them, as I am probably sticking with my Marshall MG15DFX amp for now. I would like to upgrade someday, but I am hindered by the fact I live in a condo/apartment and it wouldn't do me much good to get a larger amp that I have to set the volume on 2 or 3 all of the time. Unless, the amp has a headphone jack. If I did get a new tube amp, I would want it to sound good with humbuckers and single coils and from a clean jazzy sound to a crunchy blues tone to a distorted classic rock sound. I would want reverb built in, but could use pedals for any other effects.

• Members

I've had a Peavey Classic 30, gigged with it for several years in an original band that was based in classic rock. Our other guitarist used a 50 watt Marshall and the Classic 30 had no problems keeping up with it. I paired it with the matching Peavey 1-12 closed back cab an it sounded incredible.:cool:

• Members

I have a Peavey Classic 50 4x10. You can find one used for less than $500 and it's a fantastic amp. I haven't played an LP Studio through it but I have played another mahogany set neck guitar with dual humbuckers through it and it sounded great. You really can't go wrong with a Classic 50 or Classic 30.

• Members

I'd look for something with more of a Marshall type tone for a Les Paul.

My fave amps are Fenders, but their thick resonant tone, combined with the thick tone of a Les Paul can be a bit muddy and rumbly.

I'd investigate something along the lines of the Peavey Valve King or a Crate.

At that price you might want to skip the all tube idea and look at some hybrid (tube/SS) modeling amps instead.

• Members

without a bad ass pedal like mine, i think my fender would suck for classic rock.

i remember back when i had the peavey classic, it was classic rock city.

that thing that had some raunchy dirty tones depending on the guitar. you can get lenny kravitz stuff going as well as santana on the neck pick up.

and that thing is powerful. but im more into cleans so ive stuck with my fender deluxe reverb. it just sounds so good compared to almost any amp.

• Members

let me tell you what

youd have to play my new guitar though the tubescreamer setting on my pedal into my DRRI and youd crap your pants.

im pretty much the mostest santana expert here and i thought it was santana in my living room this weekend.

its dead on. all the little nuances to his tone. the screams, the whimpers. when he slides 2 frets up and back really quickly.

its got all that.

• Members

Originally posted by Benson

let me tell you what

youd have to play my new guitar though the tubescreamer setting on my pedal into my DRRI and youd crap your pants.

im pretty much the mostest santana expert here and i thought it was santana in my living room this weekend.

its dead on. all the little nuances to his tone. the screams, the whimpers. when he slides 2 frets up and back really quickly.

its got all that.

Ya know, I've got all that equipment, but right now my DRRI craps when I put my TS9 in front of it (turns into a static-y transistor radio sound. Must be a bad tube somewhere. I've got some bad juice running through my house, so I've been confused as to whether the problem was the juice or the amp. So I missed my return window.) But I've also got a '65 Twin and yeah, the TS9 sounds great in front of it.

Most of the time I'm playing through a Vox ToneLab and into a JC120. The JC120 is not my favorite, but it's friggin bullet proof. No worries mate.

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

Ya know, I've got all that equipment, but right now my DRRI craps when I put my TS9 in front of it (turns into a static-y transistor radio sound. Must be a bad tube somewhere. I've got some bad juice running through my house, so I've been confused as to whether the problem was the juice or the amp. So I missed my return window. But I've also got a '65 Twin and yeah, the TS9 sounds great in front of it.

Most of the time I'm playing through a Vox ToneLab and into a JC120. The JC120 is not my favorite, but it's friggin bullet proof. Now worries mate.

its not a flaw. you have to take out a C22, better known as the bright cap in the vibrato channel.

i had the same problem. researched it and fixed it. itll happen with any pedal until you take out that cap.

i got rid of my ts9 long time ago. upgraded to a fulldrive II which has a really stellar tubescreamer setting. among other things.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Get a used Traynor YCV. I think the Peavey classic sounds better for single coils, but the YCV come alive with medium-hot humbuckers like in the les paul studio.

:)

+1...The Traynor 50Blue loves singles and buckers, and rocks with P90s too. Get one and thank me in the morning;)

products_photos.asp?name=ycv50blue.png

• Members
Originally posted by guitar-fish

See thew review in my sig. The Crate (sold at GC as "Palomino:). It absolutely OWNS the Blues Jr. for the price. Lots of people discovering these great amps.

The Blues Jr is at the very bottom and the Crate V-series/Palominos close to the top as far as tone goes,IMO. Lots of other good choices though, especially if you add the used market to it.

• Members

i've got a c30, and it does a good job with the mahogany/humbucker combo.

the classic 30 isn't the best amp out there, but it is far from the worst and is classic rock all the way. a boost/od in front really tightens things up.

you should check out some SS as someone else suggested.

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/ would be where i'd be looking if i was in the market for another amp.

Archived