What's in a name? The origins of various audio and music equipment company names

I was just surfing around the net and ran into this interesting page on Rane's site that goes into the origins of various professional recording equipment and musical instrument company names. Ever wonder where those company initials came from? So have I. Many of these I already knew, but a few of them surprised me. For example, I enjoyed reading Eric Smith (Auralex founder) describe how he came up with their company name. I find it rather interesting that several companies (Fostex, Ampex, Auralex) incorporated the "ex" into their names from the word "excellence."

I thought some of you might find the list an interesting read, so I'm passing it along. I certainly enjoyed reading it and I hope you do too.

Enjoy! :wave:

http://www.rane.com/pronames.html

PS Kudos and props to Rane for providing this kind of information to their customers and the pro audio community at large. :cool: :phil:

• Members

Very Cool!

But what about:

AR--Acoustic Research, where Henry Kloss designed the breakthrough AR-3a loudspeaker

McIntosh Labs--Founded by Frank McIntosh. Apple had to change their computers' spelling to MacIntosh because of it.

Didn't see Scott or Rek-o-Kut in there. Both were Pro grade.

What about Pioneer?

Good suggestions! You should drop them an email and maybe they'll consider adding them to the next revision. :) According to the site, they revise it bi-annually; in February and in August. It was just revised, so it won't be changed again until August. But if you scroll down to the very bottom, it says "Compiled by Dennis A. Bohn, CTO, Rane Corporation" - right next to that is an email link where you can contact him.

What about Pioneer?

Check under "TAD Pioneer" :)

• Members

Ampeg = Comes from micing a bass guitar at the peg, thus the term amplified peg. An acoustic bass can have fine tuning pegs

attatched to the tail piece so micing the bass at the tuning peg was coined amp the tuning peg or ampeg for short.

• Moderators

PIGNOSE The origin of the name remains a mystery, although it was patented by Wayne Kimbell and Richard Edlund (U.S. Patent 3,860,755 Novel Portable Amplifier and Speaker), but the name, Pignose, was not mentioned

I always assumed the nose knob was created first on some homebrew mad scientist hippie amp creation. Like maybe the knob was originally some melted plastic knob and everyone joked that it looked like a...

TANNOY A term coined by founder Guy Fountain in 1926 based on the metals "tantalum" plus "lead allow" which he used to create a better electrolytic rectifier.

I always liked the fact the term "Tannoys", in Great Britain, is a generic term for loudspeakers. As in "They'll call our lunch order number over the Tannoys when it's ready."

Archived