Epi Les Paul Custom or Agile AL-3100?

Pied

• Members

I want to pick up a guitar to haul around when I visit relatives, go camping, etc. I have been wanting a real Les Paul Custom for years and have a "thing" for Alpine White. So, based on your own experiences would you recommend an Epi Custom or the AL-3100??

The Epi: - imagine this in white

47_01.jpg

The Agile:

al3100white1.jpg

At the moment i'm leaning toward the Agile....

• Members

Thanks for the input so far. Yeah, the pickups should be fine, considering i'll be playing either thru my Fender micro amp (9 volt powered toy) or thru my pc :) - and since the Agile is so much cheaper, it seems like the way to go. Plus, then I can post in Zero's thread!

• Members

One thing you should consider is that they are probably about the same as far as quality goes.

I think an Agile may be a little cheaper.

If you think it's something you think you may want to sell you should consider the Epi becasue it will be easier to sell becasue more people off HC know the brand

• Members

I've never owned an Agile.

However, right now, honestly, I would like to try one out, cause my Epi's days are numbered, even with the SD Alnico V I have in the bridge.

It served me quite well for a long time, but only because I didnt have a good instrument until earlier this year. When I play the Epi now, I really hear and feel the difference in a bhig way. Tuners, neck feel, overall sound, everything.

One thing I think you really should keep in mind...a lot of Epis are mahogany and alder with a maple top. The agile is all mahogany with a maple cap. A full mahogany body makes a big difference in sound, man.

To be fair, my Epi plays REALLY nicely. Like BUTTAH, as they say, and I will never deny that. Plays better than any guitar its price has any right to. It served me well for a long time. I've recorded with it, gigged with it, and practiced with it as my main for a long time.

But it really just doesnt cut it anymore, and at least on paper, that Agile blows mine away. Of course, there is always that subjective part of it..."mojo"...and that, you will have to judge for yourself.

• Members

Originally posted by ChihliDog

One thing I think you really should keep in mind...a lot of Epis are mahogany and alder with a maple top. The agile is all mahogany with a maple cap. A full mahogany body makes a big difference in sound, man.

Keep in mind that the term Mahagony is used very loosely especially when it comes to budget guitars.

I have an al2000 the low end Agile LP copy.

Acccording to the specs from Rondo the al models all have Mahogany bodies just two pieces for the higher end models vs 3

or 4 for the 2000.

The grain of the body wood on my Agile looks nothing like the Mahogany on my 05 Carvin,84 Gibby or old Mahogany desk at home.

I doubt the wood makes much difference in sound between the Agile or Epiphone.

Nevermind the color but look at the grain.

My 2 cents.

05 Carvin ct.

HPIM0789.jpg

05 Agile al2000.

HPIM1060.jpg

• Members

I've owned both too, and sold the Agile and bought an Epi LP plain top. To be fair, the Agile was the AL2000 which is considerably cheaper than the Epi. I liked the Epi better, feels better and looks better IMO. But the Agile isn't bad. I recently played some of their AL3000 models in the store and was impressed. I liked the ebony boards. In the end, I ended up getting the Harm.

But between the Epi Custom and the the Agile 3100 it is a close call. If budget dictates, the Agile wins. If you want the real shape, the Epi wins. Probably slightly better materials on the Epi, but it's close. My resale on my Agile was good, but then again I only paid $150 for it new. If you can get the Epi for less than the current asking price of $599, I would choose Epi first.

• Members

I own an Epi LP Custom that I put 500T/496R Gibson pups into -- and of this motley crew of guitars, it is my number one and has been for years. The SG is moving up the food chain quickly though! Thing is just freaking rock solid, been used, abused, gigged, and played daily for like 7 years. Great guitar -- mine will never go, permanent member of the family.

jamrooma.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by warriorpoet

curse, that second pic looks really bad. I see better lumber at Home Depot... What's up with the sloppiness around the binding; is that just a camera issue, or a real, visible mess?

I only have one picture and its from far away?? My binding is perfect.

• Members

Originally posted by warriorpoet

curse, that second pic looks really bad. I see better lumber at Home Depot... What's up with the sloppiness around the binding; is that just a camera issue, or a real, visible mess?

Yeah, it's a real visible mess.

I wasn't going to compain because I got it on a 99 buck blowout

plus it plays good.

• Members

And the Epi pulls into the lead :)

Thanks all for the help! Now I have to figure out which color! I want white, but that burst and wine red are calling my name too. I think I need a sedative, and more money.

(scans garage for saleable items to list on ebay...)

• Members

Originally posted by Pied

And the Epi pulls into the lead
:)

Thanks all for the help! Now I have to figure out which color! I want white, but that burst and wine red are calling my name too. I think I need a sedative, and more money.

(scans garage for saleable items to list on ebay...)

I know you would like an Alpine White one..... and who can blame you........

But there is an extremely good deal on a Black Beauty... only $399 with FREE shipping:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Black-Beauty-Electric-Guitar?sku=518340V

274851.jpg

• Members

Seriously, if your willing to spend $600 on the Epi, you may want to consider holding out for a little longer and getting the

Edwards ELP-85.

elp85cd_vw.jpg

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/esp/edwards/elp85cd_vw.htm

BODY : (Top)Hard Maple

(Back) Mahogany

NECK : Mahogany

FINGERBOARD : Ebony , 22frets

SCALE : 628mm (24.75 inch) / Medium

JOINT : Set-Neck

PICKUPS : (Front) Seymour Duncan SH-1n(BK,VW), SH-6n(JS)

(Rear) Seymour Duncan SH-4(BK), SH-6b(VW,JS)

CONTROL : Front & Rear Volume

Front & Rear Tone

Toggle PU Selector

BRIDGE : Tune-Matic / Stop Tailpiece

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/esp/edwards/elp85cd_vw.htm

"E-LP-85CD VW manufacturer desired retail price 89,250 (List Price 89,250yen) including tax selling price 71,400 itself selling price 68,000 (w/5%tax71,400yen/WebShop Price 68,000yen) "

That would roughly be:

71,000 yen = $602 usa

68,000 yen = $577 usa

Then you'll also have to consider in shipping from Japan.

Email Ishibashi for actual quote.

That's going to get you closer to a real LP Custom than the Agile or Epi ever will.

Archived