New Greg Bennet Guitars!

dilin

• Members

Originally posted by Inspector 71

what's the deal with the headstock?

they are tiny and seem to have a pretty hard angle

the guitarist in my band has OFG's old Bennett Cobra - it really is a great feeling and playing guitar, and a bit kooky looking :D

• Members

I've got an AV-6 and love it to death. When it comes to playability from the day that I bought it I have never had a guitar that was setup so well that I didn't want to tweak on it even just a little bit. It is so perfect that I am afraid I would mess it up.

It is probably my #1 in most cases, but I did just buy a new guitar last week so of course that is getting the brunt of the action right now.

The frickin headstocks are great IMO. Decent design when they could have just went either Gibson ripoff or really gay. Atleast it has some semblence of style.

I also have a UM-3 but I haven't played it in ages. It plays really similar to a PRS and even sounds a little bit like it which really isn't as good as an LP style to me.

I've got a MIA strat that hasn't been played in almost a year now just because it isn't half as fun or as inspirational to play as the Samicks.

• Members

Originally posted by ashasha

I've got an AV-6 and love it to death. When it comes to playability from the day that I bought it I have never had a guitar that was setup so well that I didn't want to tweak on it even just a little bit. It is so perfect that I am afraid I would mess it up.

It is probably my #1 in most cases, but I did just buy a new guitar last week so of course that is getting the brunt of the action right now.

The frickin headstocks are great IMO. Decent design when they could have just went either Gibson ripoff or really gay. Atleast it has some semblence of style.

I also have a UM-3 but I haven't played it in ages. It plays really similar to a PRS and even sounds a little bit like it which really isn't as good as an LP style to me.

I've got a MIA strat that hasn't been played in almost a year now just because it isn't half as fun or as inspirational to play as the Samicks.

well personally i've the av3 which i want to upgrade the pups, ashasha is your av6 a full maple cap? cos mine's just a veneer...

• Members

the problem is samick is that the info in their website is dodgy.

it doesn't mention the inlays on the av6ltd are better than the plain ones in the series. only upon closer inspection of the picture did i notice it.

another thing is, too few dealers carry the greg bennett line..

• Members
Originally posted by dilin

well personally i've the av3 which i want to upgrade the pups, ashasha is your av6 a full maple cap? cos mine's just a veneer...

I believe that it is, though it is hard to tell with the binding. It is supposed to AFAIK, but the only real reason why I went with this over the AV3 was because I got a smokin deal on it. I also think that the pups are supposed to be a little better, I do know that they sound different than on the UM-3.

• Members

I have the avion 3. It's from 2005 and it's photo flame but who cares. It plays ok and the pickups are ok. I can live with it though just turn the tone down alittle. Overall good for the price. Will keep going for along time. The spalted looks great. The head stocks are neat . I think it's because it's their design and not trying to copy a acutual lp

• Members

Originally posted by ashasha

I believe that it is, though it is hard to tell with the binding. It is supposed to AFAIK, but the only real reason why I went with this over the AV3 was because I got a smokin deal on it. I also think that the pups are supposed to be a little better, I do know that they sound different than on the UM-3.

hi ashasha, i actually pmed u, quite some time ago. :)

anyway, no real difference between the av3 and av6, except the maple cap, and av6 is made in korea compared to av3 which is in indonsesia. i opened up my av3, has shielding paint on it, and the electronics are korean hardware.

thinking of putting sd59's on it, and it'll be smoking!

• Members

My band has a Greg Bennet endorsement and we got the spalted Avion but we sent it back. It was a great sounding guitar and looked killer but there were others that they sent that were nicer players and more our style. The top on the one we got was spalted AND had a flame to it. It's kind of hard to tell from the photo but it looked outstanding in person. We've gotten some very nice guitars from them and I would recommend checking them out even if they weren't giving me free stuff. ;)

AV.jpg

AVbody.jpg

The other guitarist in my band plays them stock but I've replaced the pickups on all of the ones I've gotten. My favorite is a Rockwell (Explorer copy) but they got sued over it and it's no longer available. Another really cool guitar they make and one that we use is the solid body Blackbird acoustic. It honestly sounds better than any electric acoustic I've ever heard live.

Here's some more we got. I need to take photos of some of the others.

Royale.jpg

Bass.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by dilin

hi ashasha, i actually pmed u, quite some time ago.
:)

anyway, no real difference between the av3 and av6, except the maple cap, and av6 is made in korea compared to av3 which is in indonsesia. i opened up my av3, has shielding paint on it, and the electronics are korean hardware.

thinking of putting sd59's on it, and it'll be smoking!

Sorry about that. :( I don't check my PM's very often (master of the obvious here) because the truth is that no one seems to ever PM me. I've never used it personally to contact someone so it isn't something I keep tabs on. I'll keep an eye out for the next time. :thu:

• Members

There's one thing you wont' ever see me playing, and that's a spalted guitar.

What is it?

Spalting is a by-product of the rotting process that is carried out by a vast array of stain, mold and decay fungi, that are found naturally on the forest floor. When the temperature and humidity are right, spalting can cause many different and beautiful patterns in rotting wood. The unusual colouration may be due to chemically induced reactions between the wood, fungi and insect deposits, often resulting in black, pink, grey and multicoloured streaked wood.

I'll take my tonewood from trees that haven't been scavenged from the rotting remains of a forest, thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by ratkent

My band has a Greg Bennet endorsement and we got the spalted Avion but we sent it back. It was a great sounding guitar and looked killer but there were others that they sent that were nicer players and more our style. The top on the one we got was spalted AND had a flame to it. It's kind of hard to tell from the photo but it looked outstanding in person. We've gotten some very nice guitars from them and I would recommend checking them out even if they weren't giving me free stuff.
;)

AV.jpg
AVbody.jpg

The other guitarist in my band plays them stock but I've replaced the pickups on all of the ones I've gotten. My favorite is a Rockwell (Explorer copy) but they got sued over it and it's no longer available. Another really cool guitar they make and one that we use is the solid body Blackbird acoustic. It honestly sounds better than any electric acoustic I've ever heard live.

Here's some more we got. I need to take photos of some of the others.

Royale.jpg
Bass.jpg

703-605-7890.....I WANT THAT WHITE GUITAR....BADLY !!!!!!

Archived