New Greg Bennet Guitars!

dilin

• Members

the malibu1 is old, while the 3 is discontinued. the 30 and 50, however, i believe is new cos they were added about 2 weeks ago i think to the website. too bad the 30 and 50 don't have wilkinson bridges as the 3.. :(

• Members

Originally posted by silverfacechamp

What do you think of that Royale?

except for the gold hardware, i'm lusting after it... badly. they also have the wine red verison. double body and headstock binding, can't get better than this

as for ratkent's RL4, i think its a new one, the old ones on the website have milky plastic blocks on the fretboard. ratkent's looks like MOP to me.

• Members

What do you think of that Royale?

First of all we received alot of guitars to try out and kept the really sweet ones so all of the ones we have are nice and have been set up by a great guitar tech here in Houston. The Royale was the best playing out of the box and is still one of my favorites. I've removed the pickguard and installed Seymour Duncan pickups (Custom Custom and Jazz) since the photo and it looks more "Nugenty" now and sounds fat as hell. I also added a Tone Pros bridge with graphite saddles. To me the tone is somewhere between a really fat Les Paul and a 335. It was more focused and solid body sounding than most 335s I've played but it's got a nice fat tone and lots of meat to every note.

My only problem with the guitar, and it's more of my problem than the guitar's, is that the frets are a little low for my taste. I still play it but I will most likely have the guitar refretted next year some time. Like I said before, it played better out of the box than any other we received. I'm just really used to big meaty frets and the Royale has more of that smooth Gibson fretless wonder feel.

Before anyone gets too judgemental on all of the things I've changed on a guitar I am recommending it's important to know that swapping pickups, refretting and adding Tone Pros bridges are things that I end doing to almost all of my guitars including some that cost over $2000. Maybe crazy but I know what I like.

• Members

Originally posted by ratkent

First of all we received alot of guitars to try out and kept the really sweet ones so all of the ones we have are nice and have been set up by a great guitar tech here in Houston. The Royale was the best playing out of the box and is still one of my favorites. I've removed the pickguard and installed Seymour Duncan pickups (Custom Custom and Jazz) since the photo and it looks more "Nugenty" now and sounds fat as hell. I also added a Tone Pros bridge with graphite saddles. To me the tone is somewhere between a really fat Les Paul and a 335. It was more focused and solid body sounding than most 335s I've played but it's got a nice fat tone and lots of meat to every note.

My only problem with the guitar, and it's more of my problem than the guitar's, is that the frets are a little low for my taste. I still play it but I will most likely have the guitar refretted next year some time. Like I said before, it played better out of the box than any other we received. I'm just really used to big meaty frets and the Royale has more of that smooth Gibson fretless wonder feel.

Before anyone gets too judgemental on all of the things I've changed on a guitar I am recommending it's important to know that swapping pickups, refretting and adding Tone Pros bridges are things that I end doing to almost all of my guitars including some that cost over $2000. Maybe crazy but I know what I like.

Hmmmm. A bit like a 335, you say? Have you tried one with PAF clones at all? Just curious how that would sound. I need a decent semihollow for some of the stuff we're doing, but I don't feel like dropping $2000 on a Gibby.

• Members

Hmmmm. A bit like a 335, you say? Have you tried one with PAF clones at all? Just curious how that would sound. I need a decent semihollow for some of the stuff we're doing, but I don't feel like dropping $2000 on a Gibby.

I am hesitant to say the Royale will fit your hollowbody needs simply because I haven't had that much experience with 335s. I owned one many years ago and it was a great guitar that seemed to have a very mellow low-mid voicing. The Royale has a fat tone but I can't fairly compare it to a guitar I haven't played in years. I can say that it may be worth it to find one and play it for yourself. The Duncan Designed pickups that come in it are based on Duncan 59s which I am not that familiar with those either. Sorry I can't be more help.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

Eek.

3-a-side headstocks on Tele bodies=wrong.

I know, it's my problem, but yuck.

I don't care for headstocks, but they did that for a reason.

Whatever works ;)

details_angl.jpg

"The angled back headstock produces greater string bearing pressure at the nut. This gives the guitar more attack and sustain."

Archived