It's Amazing how much Leo Squier got right the 1st Time! ('51 Content)

GAS Man

• Members

Yeah, I know there's no Leo Squier, but I'm taking this well worn statement and twisting it to exhault the glorious $99.95 Squier '51s

I mean, don't we need more '51 Threads? !! :D

The look is cool

Squier-51-butter-sm.jpg

And I think it's a bit amazing they produce such decent sunburst models for the same price.

Squier-51-burst-sm.jpg

But I'm most impressed by the timbre of their notes. That extra vibe to the tone that's especially noticeable on the low E and A.

I'm also impressed by the relative decent quality of the pickups, having spent 4 or more times as much in the past on other guitars that had a much more urgent need for pickup upgrades. I'm especially pleased with their choice of humbucker because it blends so well with the neck pickup whether split or in the DHB mode.

Plus it's just a "comfort guitar" for me. If I'm home lazying around, it's nice to have a guitar that you don't worry about and you can just pull it on your lap and noodle around with no special pomp and circumstance. And then you have it deliver in tone and playability more than it should for the price.

I now own a blonde and a sunburst, I'm tempted to complete the set. :D It would be fun to have the 3 colors with various mods on 2 of them.

That's it,

Flame or Praise away. ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

I now own a blonde and a sunburst, I'm tempted to complete the set.
:D
It would be fun to have the 3 colors with various mods on 2 of them.

I'm thinking about selling my black one...

Mods are:
GFS lipstick in neck (drilled two holes in guard to ease height adjust)
Vintage Liverpool in bridge
fret level & recrown
saddles modded to eliminate buzz

Other than that, it's in great shape with no dings or nicks.

Love it, but I have a blonde too and (in general) more guitars than I have room to easily store...

• Members
Originally posted by Ryan Trevisol

I'd probably have one if they had a Strat headstock. I know that's part of the charm but I really dislike Tele headstocks.

That's not a disadvantage, that's an OPPORTUNITY!

Buy one then swap out the neck and you're then a Custom Squier '51 disciple. ;)

I've seen that done here on the boards and it starts to look a lot more like a conventional strat with that simple mod.

• Members

I got mine yesterday from MF and only ordered it becasue I heard about it here and had never bought a budget guitar (my first electric was a Gibson Les Paul).

I think the humbucker is kind of lame but the single coil through my Vibrolux is clean and twangy and perfect.

I had bought a Gibson 498T fom Music 123 (they are only $30.00 if you buy them in nickel yet are 100.00 in chrome)

I am going to put that it there.

I was planning on stripping it and painting it but the finish is as nice as any Fender I have seen. The wood looks nice too.

• Members

I am trying so hard to like them and wanting to buy one for 99 bucks, but I can't get past the pick guard! It messes up the whole guitar for me.

Other than that, I like everything about them. Any replacments that will fit?

"of course, I don't "NEED" another guitar..."

• Members
Originally posted by 360

I got mine yesterday from MF and only ordered it becasue I heard about it here and had never bought a budget guitar (my first electric was a Gibson Les Paul).

I think the humbucker is kind of lame but the single coil through my Vibrolux is clean and twangy and perfect.

I had bought a Gibson 498T fom Music 123 (they are only $30.00 if you buy them in nickel yet are 100.00 in chrome)

I am going to put that it there.

I was planning on stripping it and painting it but the finish is as nice as any Fender I have seen. The wood looks nice too.

Yeah, the humbucker on the Squier, (although I personally like it) is definitely more along the Fender tone than on the PAF side of the spectrum. The 498 will give you more punch from the bridge. I like the Squier's HB since it blends well with the neck pup whether split or not. But on one of my two, I'm thinking of putting in a Duncan Alnico Pro II in the neck and an SH-3 Stag Mag in the bridge. I think those would preserve the character of the guitar while just boosting the quality and definition of the tone.

That's an amazing story that M123 is selling nickel 498s for that price. :eek:

Nickel is supposed to cost more!

Nickel will definitely add a vintage look unless you are into polish.

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

I plan on adding a bigsby trem to one in the not too distant future.

Modding them is part of the fun.

Are you insane, man? That's more than the cost of the axe on a single part! Outrage, outrage I say! Harumph harumph harumph...

OTOH, I think Frets99 found a source of low- cost Bigsby clones... maybe if we ask him nicely he'll share with the rest of the clas. :o

• Members

I love my Squier '51.

I kept it completely stock except for replacing the strap buttons and the volume and to.... oops, I mean pickup selector knobs with dice.

Thing sounds great, especially for the oldies and classic rock that are my mainstay.

Only problem I have is I keep forgetting that it's not a tone knob, it's a pickup selector knob, dammit!!!

• Members
Originally posted by Suspicious Mail

Are you insane, man? That's more than the cost of the axe on a single part! Outrage, outrage I say! Harumph harumph harumph...

OTOH, I think Frets99 found a source of low- cost Bigsby clones... maybe if we ask him nicely he'll share with the rest of the clas.
:o

Yeah, it is kinda nuts ain't it?

But shouldn't everyone have at least one Fender style axe with an overpriced disfunctional Bigsby trem on it? :D

The one's I've been eyeing would be at least $140 including a rocker bridge. $110 w/o the bridge.

• Members
Originally posted by MDLMUSIC

I love my Squier '51.

I kept it completely stock except for replacing the strap buttons and the volume and to.... oops, I mean pickup selector knobs with dice.

Thing sounds great, especially for the oldies and classic rock that are my mainstay.

Only problem I have is I keep forgetting that it's not a tone knob, it's a pickup selector knob, dammit!!!

I've thought I'd like to put a chicken head knob on it like the black one on the left for that pickup selector knob.

knobs.jpg

• Members

I enjoy my black 51. I didn't mean to buy it. I was in Guitar center testing out an amp (a blacface deluxe reverb) and I grabbed a 51 because it was close by. it sounded so good! So I tried some other gutars, a tele, an sg, but the 51 sounded the best.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedddy

I enjoy my black 51. I didn't mean to buy it. I was in Guitar center testing out an amp (a blacface deluxe reverb) and I grabbed a 51 because it was close by. it sounded so good! So I tried some other gutars, a tele, an sg, but the 51 sounded the best.

Right on! They are a bit of a surprise aren't they.

I keep saying it and don't know how else to express it, but there's this "vibe" to their tone that really works for me. It's something that I like to hear in an electric guitar. Maybe it comes from some cheap hardware, who knows, but I like it.

It's kinda strat-like but with even a bit more jangle to the vibe.

Anybody else get that reaction?

Archived