It's Amazing how much Leo Squier got right the 1st Time! ('51 Content)

GAS Man

• Members

Originally posted by weatherboy

So any pickguard mods available??

Well, I've seen some posts from some folks here that got new ones from http://www.pickguards.com/

But they are a little pricey since they do everything as a custom job. But you could inquire on their pricing.

Some folks here have been trying to talk Guitar Fetish into making a cheap run of after market pg's as well.

I'm thinking about something diffferent for my sunburst. I had a spare black pg I was thinking about using, but after I finally removed the film after a year, I realized they are a flat black and I think something else (a pearloid or a B/W/B) might be better.

Anybody find a cheap source yet?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've always thought how badly they blew it with the Squier 51.

First, are there REALLY those who can live without a tone control on a guitar? The mod is easy for most of us, but no doubt scares away some beginners from an otherwise excellent first guitar.

Second, the color choices. For a guitar as obviously retro, only one color, the Butterscotch, really IS a retro color.

Me, I'd have LOVED a Daphne Blue 51. Or a surf Green, or even a Red one.

• Members

Originally posted by Joe Bones

First, are there REALLY those who can live without a tone control on a guitar? The mod is easy for most of us, but no doubt scares away some beginners from an otherwise excellent first guitar.

Second, the color choices. For a guitar as obviously retro, only one color, the Butterscotch, really IS a retro color.

Good points.

It's interesting though that the brightness of the tone backs off a good chunk with just a slight roll off of the volume. That sort of equals "idiosyncracy" which equals "character" to a lot of us. And then of course a lot of us are fine with just tweaking our amp or pedal tone controls.

But ya know, they probably had to build some annoyances into this product to protect some of their other pricier product sales. So providing a cheaper alternative product with surf green or daphne blue might be great for you and me, but not so great for their 50's strat sales.

I did see a post a while back where a couple different colors were available somewhere in Asia. Might have been in Japan.

• Members
Originally posted by thefuryone

Yeah, that's half the price of the guitar.

No effing way.

The shiny black at $39.99 might be nice though.

It was funny that I'd left my plastic film on my first '51 for at least a year and didn't realize it was flat black until I recently took off the film during a string and bridge change. :freak:

I was a little disappointed that it was flat black.

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

YI mean, don't we need more '51 Threads? !!
:D

Part of my mission as a very bad troll is to undermine and subvert all societies of good folk who are trying to pursue a common interest. So, yes -- we DO need more '51 threads!

The Squier '51 is the guitar for everyman. It is the guitar we'd all have in a perfect world; a world free of GAS, gear envy, cork-sniffing and one-upsmanship. If we all had '51's, we'd have to focus on our guitar playing, rather than our gear.

And a place like HC would be unnecessary if we all had '51's. So we would not waste time reading stuff here or elsewhere on the Internet. We would play our guitars or watch TV, the way God probably wishes we would.

In conclusion, let me say that your non-'51 guitars are a WASTE OF MONEY. Yes, that includes Agiles and anything else that's not a Squier '51.

------(troll ends)-----------

• Members

Originally posted by lowbrow

I'm thinking about selling my black one...

Mods are:

GFS lipstick in neck (drilled two holes in guard to ease height adjust)

Vintage Liverpool in bridge

fret level & recrown

saddles modded to eliminate buzz

Other than that, it's in great shape with no dings or nicks.

Love it, but I have a blonde too and (in general) more guitars than I have room to easily store...

Tell me about the GFS liptick in the neck. Which one is it (5K 6K 8K)? How does it sound? What kind of flavor?

• Members

One thing you always hear people commenting about is how good the pickups are for an inexpensive guitar.

To be fair, they really aren't bad at all, and the lipstick is actually decent, but those who say that humbucker is "good" probably really haven't played much in the way of good humbuckers to compare it too.

So far, the only mod I've done to mine over the last year was a tone pot, but next week I'm trying out a Gibson 498T in my 51.

Much as I enjoy the 51, I haven't been able to find "it" with the existing humbucker.

• Members

I was at a GC store last Friday and they didn't have them on this sale price. But bring a print out from any of the on-line boyz and I'm sure GC will price match them in a heart-beat.

Use the AMS site to get that extra 4 cents off. :D

• Members

Hey Gas Man, I got the shiny black 'guard from pickguardian, I got the thinner one as opposed to the thicker one they offer. I'm not sure if I'm going to pop in on my sunburst. I swapped all the hardware to black and popped in some GFS pickups. The White 'guard looks pretty cool with the black screws. I have a Dream 180 at the bridge and a Alnico Fatboy at the neck. After a setup, the guitar plays great and sound better than the $220 I invested. It was a real fun project. I can't believe how versitile it is too. BTW, i bought a 50's Classic Player strat at the same time I bought the '51. Right now the '51 is getting all the playing time.

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

Right on! They are a bit of a surprise aren't they.

I keep saying it and don't know how else to express it, but there's this "vibe" to their tone that really works for me. It's something that I like to hear in an electric guitar. Maybe it comes from some cheap hardware, who knows, but I like it.

It's kinda strat-like but with even a bit more jangle to the vibe.

Anybody else get that reaction?

I know exactly what you're talking about and completely agree- it definitely has its own unique sound- somewhere between a Strat and Tele is how I would describe it, but w/ more balls. I don't know what exactly those pups are, but they sound great alone or together. The bucker still retains the Fender sound somehow, and the SC in the neck is nice and bluesy. Notes seem to pop off the fretboard of the '51- very alive sounding. This is really the best thing Fender (oops, did I say Fender?), has put out since the Tele and Strat came out. If Fender had put it out, it would've cost $500-$600. Lucky for us they {censored}ed up and had Squier put it out :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by 360

I got mine yesterday from MF and only ordered it becasue I heard about it here and had never bought a budget guitar (my first electric was a Gibson Les Paul).

I think the humbucker is kind of lame but the single coil through my Vibrolux is clean and twangy and perfect.

I had bought a Gibson 498T fom Music 123 (they are only $30.00 if you buy them in nickel yet are 100.00 in chrome)

I am going to put that it there.

I was planning on stripping it and painting it but the finish is as nice as any Fender I have seen. The wood looks nice too.

I have a feeling that the combination of the thin body, light wood and bright attack of the basswood will work well with that 498T. You must post clips! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by citizens_X

definitely a great guitar for the money.

ricky51003.jpg
ricky51002.jpg
I'm probably gonna just keep mine stock

:thu:

Ditto here. I got the same vintage yellow one a couple of weeks ago - how can you go wrong for $99 - and I'm ready to buy a stable of them. The '51 is an amazing guitar at $99 - if you get a good one. Mine had slightly high action, and I didn't want to adjust the saddles to correct it since they were already set parallel and I didn't want to reduce the break angle. So, I made a quick shim from one of my business cards and now I have perfect action. I've had $1,000+ Fenders with more action problems than that ( the worst was an '98 American Deluxe). I bought the guitar thinking I'd want to mod the pup's, but now that I have it, no way: they sound great. I have virtually no hum from the SC. I love the simplicity: three-way selector with a push-pull volume for coil-splitting. What is not to like about this guitar (assuming you get a good one)? I'm probably going to get black and SB models this week.

I do wish someone made alternative pickguards so I could swap out the ones that are gonna come on the black and SB ones (I'm happy with the black one on my vintage yellow model). I'd like a black pearl for the black one I'm planning to get, and white or cream pearl for the SB one.

• Members

Originally posted by Joe Bones

Well, they certainly "blew it" in marketing to you, if those things really bother you. However, the guitar is undeniably immensely popular, so I don't think they're sitting in a room somewhere lamenting the bad choices they made when the things are selling like hotcakes.

Personally, I don't use the tone control on any of my guitars, but I do agree that most people find them invaluable and the '51 would have been better if it had been included.

More colors would make things all the sweeter, but I believe the sunburst also qualifies as a 'retro' color.

Archived