Epiphone is to Gibson as Toyota is to Lexus

Dr.Scumbucket

• Members
Originally posted by dcooper830

Especially now that I've got Burstbucker PROs and '57 Classic pickups in 'em!!
:love:

]

Based on your photo, that's like $1500 just in replacement pups! Would you really rather have those 6 Epi LP's (with the Gibby pups) instead of 3 real ones?
:freak:

• Members

I think Toyota has almost perfected the car in terms of quality, I don't think Lexus is that much better, basically the same car, just more options, different styling and luxury stuff. I don't think Epiphone has perfected guitar making.

• Members
Originally posted by jmf

Based on your photo, that's like $1500 just in replacement pups! Would you really rather have those 6 Epi LP's (with the Gibby pups) instead of 3 real ones?

:freak:

Yes.

I play out EVERY Friday and Saturday, and a lot of times during the week too.

I need to rotate guitars to slow down the fretwear.

I have 2 nice PRSs but after using them for 2 years.... they need new frets cause I wore them completely out.

• Members

Originally posted by dcooper830

Yes.

I play out EVERY Friday and Saturday, and a lot of times during the week too.

I need to rotate guitars to slow down the fretwear.

I have 2 nice PRSs but after using them for 2 years.... they need new frets cause I wore them completely out.

You should look into that adamantium fretwire...

• Members

Originally posted by jmf

You should look into that adamantium fretwire...

Agreed, and learn a lighter touch on the strings. My Charvel was bought new in 1993, and I played the crap out of it for 2 years, then sold it to a guy I know did the same thing to it for the next 10 years, then I eventually got it back and have played it a LOT.. The frets are still going strong, no need for anything more than a crowning. Wearing down frets that fast is more a problem with your technique than the guitar (unless of course you have soft fret wire, which my Epi LP has never shown a sign of either..)

• Members

I think Gibson is more like Cadillac. Some name brand that used to be the best in the world when there was no competition from Asia back in the 50's...As time went on you got better value and craftsmenship out of Asia...but there are still some old farts out there who buy Cadillac because they are living in the past and think it's the best.

• Members

Originally posted by cogdog

I think Toyota has almost perfected the car in terms of quality, I don't think Lexus is that much better, basically the same car, just more options, different styling and luxury stuff. I don't think Epiphone has perfected guitar making.

I unload Toyotas and Lexus's from auto carrier ships and they are all good except for the small Echo's w/automatic transmissions (now discontinued and replaced with the new Yaris model.)

Lexus's are a whole lot better. Not one of them is junk. Lots of luxury and power.

I suppose I agree with the original post. And a bit of yours as well.

• Members

I disagree with most of what has been said. Gibsons are generally better quality than Epiphone (unless we are talking about Elitists).

This is not the case for Toyotas. They are are basically identical in build quality to Lexus. Lexus just has more options, and offers a "better" ride. They are both built with the same basic parts and (I believe) in the same factories.

Archived