fav instrumental electric guitar song

rockraccoon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with Sleepwalk - both versions - Santo & Johnny, and Satch. Haunting tune. Satch has some nice little embellishments, and the "Frippertronics" are cool, but S&J's (original version) is almost archetypal. Absolutely Beautiful!

Strangely, as much as I dislike Vai, "Tender Surrender" is my favourite guitar instrumental tune of all time. It pretty much sums up everything I like about Vai, without going too overboard. It's also a wonderful musical story. Most of the time, I think Vai goes all virtuoso for no other reason than "just because he can". In this tune there seems to be a genuine point, though. His weird trills and legato make sense. No note seems too much. It just falls into place.

I'm also a sucker for Santana's "Samba Pa Ti". Almost too simple. Right to the point...

• Members

Larry Carlton: Room 335

Larry Carlton: It Was Only Yesterday

Robben Ford: Magic Sam

George Benson: Most anything off the Breezin album, but esp Breezin and Affirmation.

John Scofield: Science and Religion

Is the James Bond Theme a guitar song??

• Members

Originally posted by Muddslide

Link Wray- Rumble

Duane Eddy- Stalkin'

Dick Dale- Misirlou

Ventures- The Bat

Santo & Johnny- Sleep Walk

more recently: "Green Man" by Bardo Pond.

Fine list... other than Green Man which I've never heard.

For the more recent stuff, Icarus Dream Suite my Malmsteen. I used to be quite into Vai and Satch etc... Now, other than the very Zappa-like Flex Able album, I find it pretty hard to listen to most of it for an extended period but still quite like For The Love Of God, Crush Of Love, Always Witn You etc...

Archived