OT - My old boss's neighbor just shot down a police chopper!

Mr. Botch

• Members

Damn! I worked for a Lieutenant Colonel in my nuclear weapon days down in Albuquerque, his neighbor shot a police helicopter out of the sky because "it was botherin' his dog"!!

http://www.thenewmexicochannel.com/video/4861230/detail.html

My old boss is Jack Stayton, the first guy you see interviewed, in the white shirt. Get to live by all types in New Mexico! :eek:

• Members

Hey, isn't that where Greg Anderson lives now?

Did it make any mention about the pilot? The only time i heard anything was when they talked about "bullet fragments in the pilot's leg".

How's he/she doing?

Talk about one of the dumbest things you could ever do.....

• Members

An Air Corps plane flew low over our town today and everybody thought it was going to crash. Then they flew back the other way so we all decided that they knew what they were doing after all. the only crib that I have is that I thought that we can't afford to fly planes that big.:confused:

• Members

My dad once shot a Mountain Lion, severly wounded it, broke it's back.

Couldn't track it as it crawled over a steep ridge onto federal land.

The range's here in So Cal are amoung the oldest and steepest on the planet.

I went back the next day, the area haden't burned for eons so crawling the underbrush to track a blood trail was formidable.

We did not find it and my dad, was ashamed he had done that shot, till he died.

I think it was eventually coyote meal, but must have died of thirst as the temp was over 100 degrees at that time.

I thought that was the stupidists rile error I'd ever heard, until this idiot.

WTF was he thinking.

R

Originally posted by Tedster

Definitely an idiot...but what a shot!!! Even if the target was hovering...

Depends on how you look at it Tedster. If it is slowly circling, and all you're trying to do is hit it someplace, it's difficult but not un-doable; hovering is obviously going to make a pilot even more susceptible to groundfire.

Be that as it may, a single shot from a 30-06, at that range, taking down a helicopter, well, I would classify that as a "lucky shot".

I was half-tempted to say something (half in jest) long the lines of "as a person, I think the guy is scum... but as a rifleman, the guy impressed the heck out of me - *I* couldn't make that one shot and guarantee dropping the bird - could YOU make that shot?" :eek:;) ...but I didn't want any of the HC old timers (or new members who might not know me very well) to take it the wrong way.

Again, "the magic BB". The idiot just got lucky. He would have been luckier if he had missed and the guys in the helo never saw or noticed the muzzle flash... fortunately for society, he didn't miss, and he can be dealt with to the full extent of the law. :mad: Thank goodness no one got killed!

• Members

Maybe the guy will get off like the person in Lousiana who shot the foreign exchange student who knocked on the wrong door looking for a Halloween party. That guy was considered a local hero. Maybe New Mexicans feel threatened by police helicopters and will elevate this guy to Davey Crocket status. Stranger things have happened.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

No, it's more like people reporting in some places that they hear strange hums coming from the ground. I'm not hearing any where I am. Some people think it's related to Los Alamos, but hey, who knows>

The NEW Area 51 :confused::D :D :D:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

No, it's more like people reporting in some places that they hear strange hums coming from the ground. I'm not hearing any where I am. Some people think it's related to Los Alamos, but hey, who knows>

I believe in life on other planets.

I believe aliens exist.

Billions of stars; millions (if not billions) of galaxies.

Think about that for a moment.

We are not alone.

We will go to Mars...

and find that others have been there before us...

Or, maybe that we were once there...

And are now here.

We are still infants in this universe.

First, to crawl...

Then, walk...

Run...

Finally, fly.

But not with fueled rockets...

Einstein and others believed wormholes exist.

Great intergalaxien tunnels;

Immense distances traveled in a heartbeat.

We are only just beginning to understand...

that we know nothing yet.

The true wealth of the universe...knowledge.

Live Long and Prosper

• Members

Phil...

Reminds me of the classic R. Lee scene in "Full Metal Jacket".../

"Any of you ladies know who Charles Whitman is?"

Craig...

This is the first I've heard of "hums coming from the ground"...

Cooool...

Did you see that old movie, "Them"?

Or, how close to Roswell are you?

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

...Be that as it may, a single shot from a 30-06, at that range, taking down a helicopter, well, I would classify that as a "lucky shot"...

Just supposition, but it appears the shot breached the "bubble", then ripped through a footpedal and the pilot's foot. From what little I know about helicopter controls (VERY little, indeed!), losing control of a foot pedal would affect either steering or power, either of which could've caused him to crash before he had a chance to recover, given the low level flight.

All supposition, but... ;)

• Members

Craig said:

...cattle mutilations, hum...

Is the hum sporadic, or constant? I'm curious.

As far as cattle mutilations, i think it's someone who started it as a prank and now there's a bunch of copycats. I mean, why would aliens take the time to mutilate cattle? That's high-profile and risky. Swooping down and taking a whole cow all sneaky-like is much safer, i'd think.

• Members

Originally posted by Deef

LWHereComeTheChoppers_C.jpg

Ironic you should post that album cover!

M*A*S*H returned to local, late-night tv in Nashville a few months ago. They've been playing early episodes, several of which have Louden Wainright III as a captain. He's a background character, but occassionally, in those early episodes, he would sing a song that fit whatever issue the episode dealt with. IIRC, the idea was a holdover from the movie that didn't quite fit, so they stopped doing it. Exit LW III. :(

Originally posted by fantasticsound

Just supposition, but it appears the shot breached the "bubble", then ripped through a footpedal and the pilot's foot.

Yes, I saw that too.

From what little I know about helicopter controls (VERY little, indeed!), losing control of a foot pedal would affect either steering or power, either of which could've caused him to crash before he had a chance to recover, given the low level flight.

Steering. Specifically, tail rotor control. Power and "lift" are controlled by a hand operated control (the "collective"), and so what probably caused the crash was not the actual injury, or direct damage to the aircraft, but the reaction to his physical injury causing the pilot to lose control of the aircraft.

You can read more about helicopter controls
right here.
:)

All supposition, but...
;)

As are my comments. I'd like to hear what the pilot has to say about the incident, but I have not seen that posted anyplace yet.

Archived