Mighty Mite VS Warmoth

RoboPimp

• Members

With Warmoth you're paying a little extra for the fact that it's customizable (whether you opt to have custom features or not, the base price will be higher because they are tooled for the other options). Warmoth offers a lot more options than Mighty Mite. You have to pay for that.

You may very well get a nice neck from MM. I've never played one to say for sure. But I know for sure that the stuff that Warmoth sells is as good as or better than anything else you'll find.

• Moderators

Warmoth necks are pretty much the best you can get, the finish and detail is unpeered. Mighty Mite are OK and decent standard, but not really in the same league. Warmoths fretwork is phenomanal. I've had two neck with stainless frets and with low action they dont need dressing.....and they havent been crowned, dressed or anything, just pressed in and the end are amazing. I couldn't recommend Warmoth enough for their quality.....although I don't like their lack of flexibility with some things, ie charging you $15 for NOT drilling the neck screw holes.....but hey.

• Members

Mighty Mite are very good quality and are made under the same Fender licensing agreement that Warmoth has, which covers headstock shape AND quality.

MM are made in Korea and therefore cheaper and not available custom made, and Warmoth is MIA and have customizable options, and therefore are more expensive.

If you are looking to build a guitar on a budget, go for the MM. If you are looking to build your dream guitar, get a Warmoth.

• Members

hmm, I didn't know the MM was korean made... {censored} they should be even cheaper then. I thought they were US too for some reason.

What's the compound 10" - 16" radius all about on the warmoth? And "standard thin" profile?

Mighty Mite started out making MIA replacement parts in california around the same time as Charvel and Schecter back in the late 70s early 80s. The newer stuff though is all MIK.

The compound radius is rounder towards the nut for easier chording and flatter towards the heel for easier bending. Check out the Warmoth neck page and they give you diagrams of the neck shapes comparing them to a standard shape to make it easier to tell what to expect.

• Members

Mighty Mite are very good quality and are made under the same Fender licensing agreement that Warmoth has, which covers headstock shape AND quality.

MM are made in Korea and therefore cheaper and not available custom made, and Warmoth is MIA and have customizable options, and therefore are more expensive.

If you are looking to build a guitar on a budget, go for the MM. If you are looking to build your dream guitar, get a Warmoth.

+1

I have one guitar with a MM neck and it's nice. The frets only needed a light polishing. I got lucky and snagged it brand new off Ebay for $65.

One of these days I'm gonna build a nice Strat from Warmoth parts though.

• Members

what about the tuners... what does "drilled for klusons" mean?

thanks for all the help so far guys...
:thu:

It means the headstock is drilled to fit Klusion tuners, which are generally about the smallest of the common tuners. That means that if you want to use Schallers or Grovers or Sperzels or anything else, you'll have to ream the hole out a little in order for them to fit.

Also, if you're ordering from Warmoth, even from the Showcase, you can have them ream the tuner holes for whatever tuners you're using at no extra charge.

• Moderators

what about the tuners... what does "drilled for klusons" mean?

thanks for all the help so far guys...
:thu:

Just the tuner hole drilling diameter. The Klusosn are the smallets size, so you can open the holes up to whatever size you want if you're unsure which tuners you will use.

This page has everything you need to know.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=back_profiles

• Members

I have used both Mighty Mite and Warmoth in several guitar builds. While the Mighty Mite necks are not bad they are just average. The warmoth necks I have gotten have been great necks. To me the quality of materials and workmanship is much higher in the warmoth product.

Max

• Members

Like others have replied I have a tele with a MM neck that is really a nice neck. I also have a Strat with a Warmoth neck, vintage style frets that is again very nice. I think that MM is a bit of a gamble, you may get a lemon where as with Warmoth your assured quality. I just happened to get a very nice neck from MM.

• Members

There are some paddle head necks sold by Stew Mac that are I believe of very fine quality, better than MM, but not quite Warmoth. Somebody on here has used a few.

Their regular necks with the strat and tele headstocks are made by MM. Wouldn't be surprised if the paddle heads were as well...

Another great neck maker is AllParts. The necks are Made In Japan and are Warmoth quality, at least the one I have is. Retail they are up there in price with Warmoth, but you can get great deals on them on eBay.

• Members

I've heard that the MM necks have gotten to be very good quality in the last few years. Many ebay vendors also sell them with the frets having been leveled by techs, supposedly. The only complaint that I hear is that the finish on them is a little crappy (a very thin, cheap feeling satin finish). I suppose that'd make it easy to strip the finish and put something nice on. I looked at many necks in many auctions very carefully when looking for a budget replacement neck a while back, and they all looked pretty darn nice. I ended up getting an Allparts for really cheap on a forum though.

That being said, I'd also look into Allparts necks. You can score new ones with nitro finishes (I think) for under $200 (I think I saw a few for $175). They're MIJ and are made very well.

• Members

I'm looking at a replacement neck for my strat, anyone have an opinion on which of these is better? The cheapest warmoth neck I see is $157 (+ shipping I imagine) and I see some mighty mite necks for $89-$99+$10 shipping.

FYI. The Warmoth neck for $157 is not finished (no final clear coat). Warmoth warns that unfinished necks have a much higher rate of warp than coated necks. You can get a can of satin or clear gloss and do it yourself if you are careful.

And, if you decide to go with mighty mite, dancingdragonguitars.com has great prices on mighty mite parts including necks, bodies, pups, and hardware.

[EDIT] http://dancingdragonguitars.com/

Archived