How many of you own hand built custom guitars?

I was The Funk

• Members

I have a workable stable of decent guitars. Washburn KC70's, a Sheraton, and a MIM tele.

I've been playing for 18 years. I play well, and I can get by in any situation. But lately, I feel like I should take a step up in the guitar world and get a real pro "work of art" instrument. Partly to take me to the next level, and partly because I've been playing the same guitars since high school.

My preference would be for a full hollow "Trey" guitar type of instrument. Small, fully hollow, 2 humbuckers with some coil taps. Ebony board, maple top, slim taper neck. Carved tailpiece. I've checked out the Abyss site and the Languadoc site, but at $7-10,000, those seem a but out of range. I could go with a PRS hollow, but they seem steep for a production guitar.

Anyone have a custom axe? How much did you pay? How long did you wait? Was it worth it?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a workable stable of decent guitars. Washburn KC70's, a Sheraton, and a MIM tele.

I've been playing for 18 years. I play well, and I can get by in any situation. But lately, I feel like I should take a step up in the guitar world and get a real pro "work of art" instrument. Partly to take me to the next level, and partly because I've been playing the same guitars since high school.

My preference would be for a full hollow "Trey" guitar type of instrument. Small, fully hollow, 2 humbuckers with some coil taps. Ebony board, maple top, slim taper neck. Carved tailpiece. I've checked out the Abyss site and the Languadoc site, but at $7-10,000, those seem a but out of range. I could go with a PRS hollow, but they seem steep for a production guitar.

Anyone have a custom axe? How much did you pay? How long did you wait? Was it worth it?

Well, that doucheba-- er. JJ Pistols just got one made by Nevermind. Which looked awesome. You might contact AJCoholic for a custom build, but I dunno if he's taking on orders right now...

• Members

I have a custom built Les Paul clone that was built by 48th Street Custom Guitars in NYC around 20 years ago. I paid nothing for it, so I can't tell you how much it cost originally. Here's the story:

I used to be in artist management and in the late 90's we dealt with a band called Dirty Looks (kind of 80's metal in an AC/DC sort of way) that was on Atlantic records for a while and had a few minor hits. Anyway, the guy who's band it was asked me to do him a favor and do some radio promotion for this new band he was in, and as his friend, I said, "No problem!", in exchange he'd give me this ESP Strat that he had lying around. "Sounds good to me!"...So, he never sends the guitar, but I figured, "Oh well, no big deal -- besides, he's a friend of mine so I won't push the issue."

A few months later, I walk into my office and there's a beat up guitar case sitting there wrapped in duct tape with a FedEx sticker on it. I open the case, and it's his LP clone that he had built for him when he got his first big royalty check in the 80's. He wanted an exact clone of a '58 LP and had it built by 48th St. Custom Guitars (which had some ties with ESP back in the day, I think) and was his main studio and touring guitar for his entire career. Anyway, I called him up and said, "No way can I accept this guitar!", he tells me to keep it as long as I played it and didn't sell it or throw it in a closet somewhere.

Not only is it a great guitar, but he had installed real '58 PAF's which he left in for me. So, I do play it, although it needs a re-fret and a new nut at this point. Anyway, custom guitars are great and expensive, I guess...

• Members

I had two. One I sold, the other I further customized and it's finally 'right enough'

They were both in the 1500 - 2K range, and I wouldn't do it again. Of course maybe that's because my favorite guitars are several telecasters that I've assembled.

• Members

I have a custom built Les Paul clone that was built by 48th Street Custom Guitars in NYC around 20 years ago. I paid nothing for it, so I can't tell you how much it cost originally. Here's the story:

I used to be in artist management and in the late 90's we dealt with a band called Dirty Looks (kind of 80's metal in an AC/DC sort of way) that was on Atlantic records for a while and had a few minor hits. Anyway, the guy who's band it was asked me to do him a favor and do some radio promotion for this new band he was in, and as his friend, I said, "No problem!", in exchange he'd give me this ESP Strat that he had lying around. "Sounds good to me!"...So, he never sends the guitar, but I figured, "Oh well, no big deal -- besides, he's a friend of mine so I won't push the issue."

A few months later, I walk into my office and there's a beat up guitar case sitting there wrapped in duct tape with a FedEx sticker on it. I open the case, and it's his LP clone that he had built for him when he got his first big royalty check in the 80's. He wanted an exact clone of a '58 LP and had it built by 48th St. Custom Guitars (which had some ties with ESP back in the day, I think) and was his main studio and touring guitar for his entire career. Anyway, I called him up and said, "No way can I accept this guitar!", he tells me to keep it as long as I played it and didn't sell it or throw it in a closet somewhere.

Not only is it a great guitar, but he had installed real '58 PAF's which he left in for me. So, I do play it, although it needs a re-fret and a new nut at this point. Anyway, custom guitars are great and expensive, I guess...

wow was he quitting music or something? damn that must be an amazing guitar. pictures? hehe

• Members

I had a luthier in Austin build me a custom Rick. It was built from scratch and I combined the features of 3 different Ricks into one, with a smaller neck. It's pic has been posted here several times. This was 10 years ago and it was around 5K for the guitar. Was it worth it. I thought so at the time, but it was a phase, and I could afford it. My last phase was cheap imports. Kinda 180 out from a custom. I don't think a custom will make you a better player, and if it takes you to another level, well then so be it. It was a catalyst more than a reality.

• Members

wow was he quitting music or something? damn that must be an amazing guitar. pictures? hehe

Yeah, I think he was finally quitting and getting rid of that guitar was symbolic of that for him. I never asked him if that was the case, that's just my assumption. I do have a few pics of him playing it, but nothing close up, and I've never taken any of it since I've owned it. I guess I should.

index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=

index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=

• Members

I had a luthier in Austin build me a custom Rick. It was built from scratch and I combined the features of 3 different Ricks into one, with a smaller neck. It's pic has been posted here several times. This was 10 years ago and it was around 5K for the guitar. Was it worth it. I thought so at the time, but it was a phase, and I could afford it. My last phase was cheap imports. Kinda 180 out from a custom. I don't think a custom will make you a better player, and if it takes you to another level, well then so be it. It was a catalyst more than a reality.

A Smaller neck?

straw.jpg

• Members

I've owned 3 built by one person. USA Hamers are close, to me, because of how small their ops are. The first one was not worth the price tag and was only on par with the LTD I own. The other 2 were PRS quality or better. My full custom Iceman was only $1100 and my Medley copy was only $650. WELL worth the money and heads and tails above anything since, except for the Alembic's that I will always lust after. But these days cheaper guitars float my boat plenty as long as they are stable, play good and sound great.

• Members

I used to be a drummer and had a custom kit made for me back in the day (hehe). I've since come to the realisation that custom just isn't for me. It was nice for awhile, but eventually I wanted to do more with it. Adding peices was too expensive and selling it proved harded than I had hoped, so I finally decided the custom market can have itself - I'm through with it.

(PS - Same with guitars. Rather have a Fender or Gibson than Joe Awesome or whoever)

• Members

I am making an electric right now, i made a thread about it a while ago. I need to update it, but i cant get my camera to work w/ the computer for some reason.

I would recommend trying to make one if you have time. a hollowbody will be harder than a solid body, but i know people who have made them.

and its fun

• Members

:eek:

What's that thing that looks like a spring on the back?

It's just holes. The back is a kind of resonator thing, the guitar is hollow inside. Quite fun because it has more acoustic volume than solid bodies so it's nice to play even without an amp.

flaxwood_rautia-09.jpg

• Members

I am in the process right now of getting exactly what you're talking about and then much more. I took my electronics way beyond Languedoc. I ordered from a company I found, whose website is down for some reason, that's known for doing Jerry Garcia replicas. They're called Resurrection Guitars. They're legit and several people know them around here. I talked to one guy that lives in the same town and he said they have real quality stuff. The Languedoc replica will run you around $4,000. That's fully bound as well. Here are some pics he sent me when I was still thinking about it. . . they definitely persuaded me to order. These are not mine again remember. . .

This one is all Koa fully bound with flame maple/rosewood/maple neck.

DSC00014_1.jpg

DSC00002_2.jpg

This one is made of Padauk I believe.

DSC00887_1.jpg

DSC00897_1.jpg

• Members

I didn't exactly want mine to look like a Languedoc so we kind of took from a peavey wolfgang shape as well. So this is what we got. . .

1214927501_l.jpg

I also added a single coil in the middle, toggle with an on/off switch. I should be getting some more pics of it assembled right before it gets the nitro. Ohh here is my top with his Languedoc outline on it.

1214928621_l.jpg

And lastly this is the a guy a buddy of mine knows who actually has one. My friend swore up and down it was a Languedoc until I asked Resurrection if they had done one for Jackson Sneed. They of course said, "OHH! Yeah I remember that one."

Jackson Sneed

sneed.jpg

Archived