How many of you own hand built custom guitars?

I was The Funk

• Members

Here's another kiddie pic of a Ressurection Languedoc, flame maple top about to get a nitrocellulose finish.

DSC00914_1.jpg

You kids and all your pictures. Really!! I mean Really! Wow! Nice. Bet it'll be just lovely sounding. That is truly :cool: Butt .... why has it been staked out in the yard? You kids!!!! :rolleyes:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a workable stable of decent guitars. Washburn KC70's, a Sheraton, and a MIM tele.

I've been playing for 18 years. I play well, and I can get by in any situation. But lately, I feel like I should take a step up in the guitar world and get a real pro "work of art" instrument. Partly to take me to the next level, and partly because I've been playing the same guitars since high school.

My preference would be for a full hollow "Trey" guitar type of instrument. Small, fully hollow, 2 humbuckers with some coil taps. Ebony board, maple top, slim taper neck. Carved tailpiece. I've checked out the Abyss site and the Languadoc site, but at $7-10,000, those seem a but out of range. I could go with a PRS hollow, but they seem steep for a production guitar.

Anyone have a custom axe? How much did you pay? How long did you wait? Was it worth it?

I just picked up a PRS hollow w/ piezo for $2600. Steep, but not that steep.

Heck, solid body Gibsons go for more :freak:

• Members

You kids and all your pictures. Really!! I mean Really! Wow! Nice. Bet it'll be just lovely sounding. That is truly
:cool:
Butt .... why has it been staked out in the yard? You kids!!!!
:rolleyes:

I'll definately let you know how mine turns out but honestly on the market right now this is the closest thing to the real thing that is custom made. Staked out in the yard or not, it's $6,000 cheaper. Plus you make it sound like they just sat out in the yard all day long or something. I honestly can't explain it but I don't see much that could hurt it. unless of course you let them sit out all day. So wait a couple months and this "kid" will be posting "all my pictures" of my guitar. Plus what kind of place would HC be without pictures.

ohh got one of these for ya too!

:rolleyes:

• Members

I've had about six custom guitars built for me over the years. The latest is my Suhr Reb Beach-style koa guitar albeit with obvious deviations (ebony fingerboard with koa wood dot inlays, amber tuners, 2 EMGs, etc). The real thing from Suhr Guitars runs about $4800 and even then, they rarely have flamed koa tops like this. The hardest part about ordering a custom guitar...believe it or not, is the wait.

:(

akoa2.jpg

• Members

The hardest part about ordering a custom guitar...believe it or not, is the wait.

:(

Those are true words right there.

The wait is definately. . . well, it's just like when I was 5 or 6 years old at Christmas and the feeling of having to wait "all the way til' christmas" was almost too much to handle.

Moral here is if you ever decide to order a custom guitar, be prepared for the wait. All you'll have are dreams and pics but they don't help they just make it worse. I'll shut up now but this is a form of therapy I guess.;)

Archived