Squier Standard or Agile Strat?

voneville

• Members

I've been playing the snot out of my Phantom since I got it operational. It has two things I've been missing in my collection, lower output single coil pickups and a bigsby. I love the sound and it's fun to play Surf on because it sounds great. But I pretty much have to play it standing up because it's shaped like a canoe paddle.

I don't think I'm ready to go drop 400+ on a fender strat. I've never been a big fan of the looks of a strat. They're comfy and I love the sound, but they just don't do it for me visually. I had an affinity strat and liked it except that it was a strat, and it was black. I really hate black strats.

So that's why I'm looking at the lower priced ones. I know a couple of people here own agiles, how do they compare to Squiers sound wise and quality wise? I owned an SX bass and thought it was a piece of crap. It felt really cheap, and sounded just as bad. The finish was amazing however!

So help me out here.

• Members

I like both Squier products and Agile, but feel for the money, the Agile is a little better. But it isn't hugely better. Squier has improved in recent years, imo. I've had 2 Squier Tele Customs and they are a decent guitar. Which Agile model are you looking at?

• Members

I have the squier tele custom hh, I love it. I'm thinking about the Agile
ST-802
st802wrnvwh1.jpg
the strat I'm looking at is:
268224.jpg
My biggest hang up with the Squiers is the color options and the 70's headstocks. My friend just bought a double fat strat and I liked the feel.

• Members

In a city like San Diego, there has got to be TONS of used strats. Here you can get into a used MIM for under $300 pretty easily. And my two main guitars were both pretty cheap... An 83 MIJ Squier and a MIJ Alvarez strat copy. Squier was $160 and the Alvarez was about $75 and both are outstanding and have zero issues.

• Members
I have the squier tele custom hh, I love it. I'm thinking about the Agile

ST-802

st802wrnvwh1.jpg
the strat I'm looking at is:

268224.jpg
My biggest hang up with the Squiers is the color options and the 70's headstocks. My friend just bought a double fat strat and I liked the feel.

That is one of my pet peeves too about Squire. Very limited color choices, I just don't understand why. They would sell more, and it would not cost them much more, if they added a few cool color choices. I also don't like that 70s headstock. I forgot, I had a quilt top Squier strat, and never really bonded with it. Sound was average at best. Some pup replacements would help. I did try that Agile in the store one time. Actually it didn't do much for me. I recently bought an SX Ash strat, and that hasn't done much for me either. It looks cool, and sounds decent actually. It needs a setup, but otherwise it is a fine value. I just haven't bonded with strats lately, and it sounds like you haven't either. I'm not sure you really want one either. Get another Tele or a LP.

• Members

I've only played one Agile and it was a semi-hollow Tele and it was pretty impressive. Plus, if you order one and it isn't up to your expectations, you can send it back and try another one.

Of course, there's a lot to be said for trying before you buy as Cooley said.

• Members

Agile for sure! I've palyed it side by side with my friends MIM, and I like the feel of it better... so did my friend.

You won't regret it.

EDIT: the pups might need to be replaced... but since you're also thinking of getting a squier, than new pups is a must anyways.

• Members

I'm just starting to see Agile/Brice/SX guitars in videos and YouTube - mostly bass guitars - minus JJ Pistols - he plays his.

I think this is simply becuase they are still considered new and cheap guitars - I like mine but don't play anywhere but with a few folks in my area.

the ESP guitars started showing up after George Lynch endorsed. Now they're everywhere.

I suspect these will be just like Ibanez or Schecter or ESP used to be before they went mainstream.....unless no one big thinks they're good enough.

• Members

In a city like San Diego, there has got to be TONS of used strats. Here you can get into a used MIM for under $300 pretty easily. And my two main guitars were both pretty cheap... An 83 MIJ Squier and a MIJ Alvarez strat copy. Squier was $160 and the Alvarez was about $75 and both are outstanding and have zero issues.

I live in Virginia now, and there's not many used guitars out here (although there are literally hundreds of pawn shops i haven't visited). But craigslist is bust here. I really don't have time to hunt for a guitar though (as much as I love doing that!). I pretty much have to order something online or buy it at a one of the 3 local shops here.

• Members

I just haven't bonded with strats lately, and it sounds like you haven't either. I'm not sure you really want one either. Get another Tele or a LP.

Single coils and a Tremelo bar are the only reason I want another strat, but you're right, I'm not a "strat" guy. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a Tele and install a Bigsby.

• Members

I have one of the original 802's from a couple of years ago...

Very, very nice guitar, with top quality components. Graphite nut, Grover locking tuners, wilkinson bridge, medium jumbo frets (well finished), etc...

I don't know, some say the Agile's are 'hit & miss', but mine needed nothing but a normal setup, same as I do with my MIA Strat's or any other guitar I purchase.

No faults at all with this 802, and it is at least on par with any MIM Strat that I have played over the years.

802new.jpg

Archived