In Memory

Shars

• Members

Thanks, Shars, for that.

I can't believe that it's been four years already. I think that happened before you joined the SSS community, but that was the event that seemed to me to change the SSS forum from primarily an on-topic forum to one where all topics were discussed openly (of course, in some cases it became too openly, hence the political forum).

I remember waking up, I was working an afternoon shift. Going downstairs, Deb had left the radio on and the DJs were saying some airplane had hit the World Trade Center. I thought it might have been some sightseeing Cessna that got too close...but, I went upstairs and saw the rest unfold on CNN.

Solemn silence...

• Members

This is what I put on another forum today and I cant beleive people could be so small minded in the way they forget so easily! :mad: I lost 2 people that day ad many many needlessly lost loved ones for others...Todays about reflection I think not arguement....

Just that we lost 2 very dear friends in one of the Towers (a Father and Son) and thats my tribute to them.

Words cannot describe how I feel today as well as my friend who lost her son and first grandson...so out of respect for those that died, lets have some reflection and rememberance for those suffering today just like my friend.

and then after the anti americanisms...I wrote...

That image is one of the most powerfullest ones I think that many associate with 9/11.

Forget the S&S but look at the reason why its a powerful image. To me because in the backround in that mass of rubble were my 2 friends waiting to to be returned to their family

I can take it down but I won't only because it reminds me why I'm here and my friends arn't and the day the world stood still as a collective in horror and pain...

I think looking beyond the anti americanisms you have is maybe the way to go and I mean that with the deepest respect but please lets not turn this into another 'you don't care about this and that but this is my view so lets all beleive in it' thread.

This will be my last posting on this thread but I hope others will join me in remembering the men, women and children not only killed that day but also in conflicts around the world today, yesterday, last week and even tomorrow and beyond.

I do care thats why I put this posting up..It was ment as a quiet reflection of ones compassion and caring..nothing more, nothing less...

Just think we have have ran out of humilty in this world and maybe a reminder is nice once in a while be it the US flag or a Union Jack and especially on a day like today when so many were killed needlessly.

• Members

thank you Shars. *hug*

I will never forget waking up that morning and seeing the smoke outside my window all the way across the river in Brooklyn. I will never forget that day and the weeks afterwards and how it changed New York and the world. I will never forget the people we lost.

• Members

Guys

I really do beleive in us all being family be it wherever we are in this world.

That day affected my family as much as everyone else that lost loved ones.

How can we forget so quickly? We cant.

That day was momentous in showing us that we lost love in this world and with a single stroke of ill fate, we lost human kind as we knew it.

Its not a time for forgetting but remembering and being as one wherever we are and here I feel we are as one people stood united in trying to get the love back.

Luv each and everyone of you and appreciate you all for all your different qualitys and most of all as dear friends :)

Shars

x

• Members

Thanks Shars...

One never forgets the loss of loved ones no matter how long... Here's a hug for the two friends that you lost and all of the others who lost that tragic day.

I also mourn for those awaiting any word about loved ones as we speak or those that have already lost in the wake of Katrina.

• Members

9-11..........

My neighbor (the Guitar Collector) banged on my door. When I answered, he asked "have you been watching the TV?"

(I usually never do). I said no, he said "turn it on". I said "what channel?" he said " ANY CHANNEL". I did...and we saw the second tower get hit. I never want to hear him ask me if I've been watching TV again!

:(

Barry

• Members

I was in Italy, I would have been on Mount Vesuvius when it happened. A friend sent a text to my mobile when we were on the way back to the town. We found a bar with a television and just all stood round it watching it unfold. Just walking around a small town in Italy, everything was clearly different....

• Members

My condolences to all who lost loved ones. :(

I'm grateful, though, that Dan South survived. FWIW, I posted some links in response to a post by Tedster on the first anniversary of 9/11. In case they may still be of interest now, here is that post:

Originally posted
by Geoff Grace (as soapbox):

Originally posted by Tedster:

I remember the endless threads on the forum here after last 9/11...just a bunch of everyday people trying to make some sense of it all. And it really helped. We cried together, rejoiced at news of friends who were safe (Dan South for instance) together...shook our fists at the world's villains together...and began to heal together.

At some point, I believe that was the event that began to give personality to the forum, in that we opened up a bit more...revealed a bit more of ourselves than we had before. It made being "off-topic" relevant, we found that we could discuss more than "analog or digital" or "what mic pre". Not that some of that wasn't going on before 9/11, but I believe the forum became even more of a community afterwards. Hopefully, for the most part, we learned we could disagree without shooting each other. Now, if the rest of the world could somehow catch up.

Eloquently put, Tedster thumb.gif

Here are a just few of those threads:

2 Passenger planes hit 2 world tower blgds in NYC

SOMEBODY CHECK ON DANSOUTH

Dan Is Fine...

What's really important - now?

What the World Needs Now

Should AES Cancel the NYC Convention?

Our Arabic-American Community......

Palestina is NOT celebrating?

Declaration Of War

MODERATOR SEZ: READ THIS NOW!!

Report from New York

FROM THE MODERATOR: ABOUT RETURNING TO MUSIC

For a look at what we were discussing just prior to September 11th, click here.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Today was also an important date for departed forum member RobT, who passed away on July 11, 2004.

Here's what Rob posted in response to Tedster on the first anniversary of 9/11:

Originally posted
by RobT:

Great words of wisdom from the Tedster.

Today's my birthday. Birthdays from a year ago on will never be the same. I wonder if folks who were born on or have birthdays in December during the year Pearl Harbor was attacked feel similar.

Nonetheless, I feel blessed to still be alive. I hope that healing and justice will prevail.

RobT celebrated one more birthday after that post. He would have turned 45 today. :(

Here's to the memory of our friend, Rob Thompson! thumb.gif

Best,

Geoff

• Members

:( This is all to sad :(

I remeber I was sitting at my PC working on a deal or something and the TV was on in the corner..

i remember hearing a news flash coming up..

I sat in my chair as the news reader said there was a terrible accident and a plane had hit one of the Towers.. My heart was in my throat... Then the realisation it wasnt a terrible accident when the live pictures hit me of the 2nd plane hiting the 2nd Tower..

I picked myself up and went 2 doors down to see if my firned Diane was ok...shes old you see and its her son and her grandson that were killed that day.

I knew them before they were lawyers working for Fox and she sat there not realising the full extent of what had happened...

It took her daughter litrally 10 minutes to drive at speed to us and that was it... we sat there trying to make calls to everyone and nothing..

It dawned on us as those towers fell, we had lost very special people so you see, we dont forget, we remember and we be there for eachother.

Its waht thos bastards wanted to send the world into a panic and we didnt, we embraced the memories of those we lost and we all became stronger in many ways that politicians and learned scholars will never know let alone understand.

I miss them both alot and yesterday I felt it hard compared to last year...

I say this to you all, it doesnt matter what we say or do to eachother, remember its the love we have now for each other that will prevail... These acts wont deter me let alone you but one thing we do have is memorys and its those that take us through life withour biaes or prejundice....we prove that everyday on these forums :)

In Memory guys.... always...

Shars

x

Archived