Best Cheap Telecaster?

housered

• Members

Get your car keys, drive to sam ash or guitar center, get the squier affinity telecaster (preferably in the honey finish).

best under $200 guitar ive ever played. amazing action and playability for such a cheap instrument.

looks amazing, just put in a nice 3 ply pickguard and you're all set. the pickups on it are pretty impressive. all in all i am happy as hell with mine.

I'll second that. Even though I'm modding mine (lipsticks, string-through, etc.) it was really dang nice right out of the box.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I played an Aerodyne the other other day. Nice Tele. IMO the neck was a little on the thin side. But its considered a Modern C? There was FINALLY a BAJA Tele at GC. To bad it wasn't a better offering. This one had too many issues. Awfull fret job, and the pick-guard was actually lifted almost to the top of the neck pup. The GC sales rep, swooped in as I was looking at the pick-guard. He said..{I could throw in a new pick-guard}. No-Thanks I'll pass on this one. Thing is with the equal CP-60 or CP-50 Stratocasters, GC will come down to $685. and let the Strat out the door with Tax at $710. With the Baja Tele? They really don't want to budge off the $799, price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The search is over. I have given up.

I was hoping to find either a Nashville style telecaster or a swamp ash bodied telecaster with a maple neck. String through was a criteria. I would have also considered something cool like a glossy black Japanese tele with gold hardware or something else with an unusual quality.

For $250, it wasn't meant to be. I gave it a good shot. I have followed a heck of a lot of eBay auctions and all is not lost, I have learned quite a bit about business psychology. In the end, I would say that I have gained. I do wish that I had found the guitar though.

• Members

I only buy from GC when its a deal like that. Last year at this time I bought my SG special. It was new but from 05' and it was a limited run with the sunset orange and platnium hardware (pickups, grovers, pickguard, bridge and tailpiece) looks killer to me. anyways. $419 with tax. Was less that an epi sg is what the sales guy told me. and it was NEW WITH GIG BAG.

• Members

I managed to find myself a (sort of) used Tribute ASAT Special (rosewood fingerboard) for $500 (cdn). When I say used, the guy who bought it, had it for 2 months, decided he liked it alot and traded it in for a G&L. My first electric and I love it. So much.

• Members

My funds are very limited. I have the type of job where one works long hours for little pay. It is a labor of love. I would rather not go into what I do, not because it is particularly impressive or secretive, but because some of you would be able to figure out who I am rather quickly. No, I am not famous or anything like that, there just aren't many people who do what I do.

Anyway, you can think of me as someone who lives on a fixed income. I don't have the kind of job where I can walk into someones office and ask for a raise. It just doesn't work like that in my profession.

Anyway, I have $250 to spend. In another few months, I might be able to manage $350. I can't afford most of the guitars that are being listed here. Even the Peavey Reactors finish at a price that is beyond what I can afford and they don't have the specs that I was looking for.

I was looking for a Nashville style telecaster or a swamp ash bodied telecaster with a maple neck. String through was a criteria. I also follwoed a few auctions on things like a cool, glossy black Japanese tele with gold hardware.

I spent many hours tracking ALL of telecaster type guitar auctions on eBay that started at a price that was within my range. I did so, off and on, for a few months. I started off wanting a PRS swamp ash special (my first thread) but I soon came to understand that that couldn't happen. I then started thinking about teles. I considered getting a strat but it isn't really what I want. I considered getting a poplar bodied tele with a rosewood fretboard but it isn't really want I want. I have learned that when you get something that you don't want in place of what you do want, you don't feel happy.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

• Members

$250-350 will buy a Fender Mexican Standard no problem. For cheaper try this search on ebay:

("tell city", jt-800, carlson, t-syle, dillion, tele, johnson, "del sol")

I like the Indiana Guitar Center telecaster. It is a string through. Sustain for days.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion but I have been through all of the tele related listings because I go through all of the electric guitar listings.

Many here find great deals. I figured that I should be able to find the guitar that I was looking for (described above) with what I have to spend.

I am many things buy lucky isn't one of them. Brute force searches didn't work either. I have something that could be described as faith and I think that now just isn't the time for me to have a tele. It ain't the end of the world. :)

• Members
Im eyeballin' this one everyday.... hopefully the funds will pull through this month, i hate being a jobless college student with gas.

jayjtltdlx.jpg

I like those as well, but after checking the HC review section.....they didn't sound too good. Doesn't stop me from looking at them though and thinking about one. The saving grace for me is they have rosewood fretboards, if they had one with maple, I'd be screwed, I'd have to get it.

• Members

I was hoping to find either a Nashville style telecaster or a swamp ash bodied telecaster with a maple neck. String through was a criteria. I would have also considered something cool like a glossy black Japanese tele with gold hardware or something else with an unusual quality.

For $250, it wasn't meant to be.

A Nashville tele for that price, you'd have to get REAL lucky. I was watching them for a long time, most seem to go for at least four, though I've come across a few for around 350. My local shop had one for that, I'd have bought, but it had a rosewood board.

Standard teles in that price range, they come along fairly regular. I just bought a '99 in near mint condition for 220.oo.

It sounds like you are focused on a Fender tele, so I won't say anything about any clones.

But here's one I think you really should consider - the new Squier vintage modifieds coming out - they have a three pup configuration like a Nashville except ones an hb instead of an sc), and you can get them new (soon) for 299. shipped.

• Members

For $250, it wasn't meant to be. I gave it a good shot. I have followed a heck of a lot of eBay auctions and all is not lost, I have learned quite a bit about business psychology. In the end, I would say that I have gained. I do wish that I had found the guitar though.

This will kick your ass and get it moving! I walked into GC with a $100.00 gift certificate and the PMA that I was going to buy a Telecaster tonight. I was set on a Squier Affinity butterscotch and thought, hmmm I wonder what they have used. Hanging at the top of the used guitar wall was an amber tele with a tortoise pickguard. I had them pull it down and it was a mint, unplayed Nashville. They were asking $350.00 and I offered $260.00. The sales-kid looks in the computer and says OK, $260.00 and there's a case that goes with it. The case was a molded hardshell and had the hang tags, original receipt and warranty papers too. PMA and a little luck.

• Members

Anyway, I have $250 to spend. In another few months, I might be able to manage $350. I can't afford most of the guitars that are being listed here. Even the Peavey Reactors finish at a price that is beyond what I can afford and they don't have the specs that I was looking for.

I was looking for a Nashville style telecaster or a swamp ash bodied telecaster with a maple neck. String through was a criteria. I also follwoed a few auctions on things like a cool, glossy black Japanese tele with gold hardware.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I know what it means to have a very limited budget for guitar related purchases. I lucked out and found a used tele that I love for a very reasonalbe price at a shop I walked into.

As for your search, it is obvious that you are going to have to either change your criteria a little or wait until you can afford a little more. Some of the Squier teles are well within your budget, and may have been mentioned already.

If it were me, I would wait for the new Squier vintage modified teles hit your local shops. The have the mini humbucker in the neck and Duncan designed stacked pick ups in the middle and bridge positions. They are string through and maple neck. It looks like they are going to be $300 new. It is a very intriguing guitar.

Otherwise, it is all about timing. Trying to find what you are looking for at your price can be frustrating. I know from experience. Good luck.

Archived