Best Cheap Telecaster?

housered

I'd say look at Squiers and MIM Fenders and if your of an adventurous mind, look for Traditions and Indiana guitars.

MY Tradition JR goes for about $200 to $250 on e-bay and it plays and sounds as good as some MIA's I've played.

Tradition03.jpg

I don't own an Indiana Tele but I played a couple and they were very tele. Hard to tell I wasn't playing a Fender.

http://www.shsaudio.com/tellcitystandard.htm

http://www.shsaudio.com/tellcitydlx.htm

http://www.guitarsandmore.com/?sec=product_list&sub_cat_id=12

They go for $149 to $159

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Depends on your cheap budget....

$200.00 or less cheap - or $400.00 or less cheap??

I the first instance - an SX or a Jay Turser. If you can find a Squier without fret end issues (most of the ones I have played had them), add then to the list.

In the second - a Tradition, used MIM Fender, Squier Pro Tone (used only).

• Members

I have a Squier Standard Black & Chrome Telecaster... $200 out the door. One of the rare Squiers, very well put together, 22 medium frets, upgraded alnico pickups.... I kept thinking I wanted to change something, but the more I play it, the more I'm happy with it just the way it is. It's even pretty.

276242.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by GarysBlues

Black Squier at the Pawn Shop in Town. Its like NEW. But the guy wants Deuce! He's NUTS really! He must have paid too much, cause he's not budging!! Its pretty straight though. Hows the pick-ups on the Standard?

The Fender Standard (MIM)? Or the Squier Standard?

I've had both, and the Squier Standard's pickups sound about the same as my MIM Standard's pickups did. The phrase that comes to mind lately is "good enough to get the job done". I think if I upgraded the pickups, the only person who would notice an improved sound quality is me.

• Members

I just purchased a Squire Affinity Tele last week for $169. It is my only imported guitar. I was VERY surprised at the quality fit and finish. Even the pickups sound great and are quiet. There was one major issue out of the box, that being the ends of the frets were sharp as hell. It literally rubbed hide off my index finger. I grabbed my files and solved the problem in about an hour. These imported squires are hit and miss on different issues out of the box, but if you know how to work on them they are a huge bargain that IMO can't be beat.

• Members

Get your car keys, drive to sam ash or guitar center, get the squier affinity telecaster (preferably in the honey finish).

best under $200 guitar ive ever played. amazing action and playability for such a cheap instrument.

looks amazing, just put in a nice 3 ply pickguard and you're all set. the pickups on it are pretty impressive. all in all i am happy as hell with mine.

teleandv8.jpg

I agree, I have the same guitar for testing my tele pups.

Plays great. All I needed to do was set it up the way I wanted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Aerodyne Tele

374666.jpg

Made in Japan, P-90 neck and a quiet SC in the bridge. At least as good, if not better, than MIA and rivals custom shop build. I didn't like the Aerodyne Strats and I hear the Aerodyne basses leave a bit to be desired, but the tele's are killer. I don't like tele's but I bought one of these. They're discontinued and MF has them on for $479 - I was able to talk a GC down to $415. Real Fender, real sweet tele. GC has around 74 left in their system and when they're gone, they're history.

• Members

Here's my thinking!..........Watch the price's NOW! The 06 Fenders have to go! The MIM as with EVERY YEAR will be knocked down $100 bucks. The 06 upgrades to the MIM Standard line were significant! They sell at $399. At $299, you can't get a better Telecaster! Thew Squie you are talking about above sells for $229. I seen one this week, And it needed fretwork. The MIM is the ticket!!

Then how come the NOS 2003's aren't $99?

And how come they don't *pay me* to take the 2001's? :confused:

• Members

I guess it depends on what cheap is. I have decided I want a G&L Tribute ASAT that comes in at around $400 new unless I can find a nice used one.

I may be letting go of the tele in my sig soon to help fund it.

Check out the G&L Tributes here...

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/gAndL.html#tributes

they still have a couple and I believe the selling them for 299....Cant get a better tele at that price than these..

• Members

Aerodyne Tele

374666.jpg

Made in Japan, P-90 neck and a quiet SC in the bridge. At least as good, if not better, than MIA and rivals custom shop build. I didn't like the Aerodyne Strats and I hear the Aerodyne basses leave a bit to be desired, but the tele's are killer. I don't like tele's but I bought one of these. They're discontinued and MF has them on for
$479
- I was able to talk a GC down to $415. Real Fender, real sweet tele. GC has around 74 left in their system and when they're gone, they're history.

You know I just looked at this model at my local dealer the other day. It is pretty cool, and very unconventional model too. But it got me to wondering, why doesn't Fender do more with P-90s? It has hardly any models with 'em. I think Agile makes more models with P-90s. I just finished playing my Agile Harm 1 w/P-90s and my Fender Tele, w/SC, and I actually prefer the P-90s tone for what I play, mostly rock and blues.

• Members

one of these days:

jt-lt-rw.jpg

unique yet vintage...kinda george harrison~y:thu:

I love mine. Granted, there is mystery wood between the rosewood veneers, but other than a few slightly rough fret ends and a couple of not-quite-straight screws holding the pickguard on, it's very nicely put together.

I figured I would need to change the pickups, but they are actually quite good. Loud (for a tele) and clear.

Archived