I'm currently getting my butt kicked...

• Members

I'm an old hand at the aheadache thing... oy. Anyway, the best solution I've found is the hot pepper thing. It's painful, but the pain causes a nice endorphin release which helps a lot. And it also tends to get the nose running, opening up the sinuses a bit.

Here's what I do: Get some nice hot sauce, doesn't have to be that nuclear stuff like Dave's Insanity. The "Sriracha" sauce in the clear squeeze bottle is plenty hot enough. Spread a bit on several crackers, and eat one or two to get that pepper burn going. After a few minutes when you feel able, eat another cracker with the hot sauce. You don't need to blow your head off, you just need to get your tongue burning a bit. Maybe another couple crackers when possible.

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

When the fever and sweating get bad, I do tend to pile on the blankets in an attempt to "break the fever and sweat it out". It sucks waking up in a cold, sweat soaked bed, but after a long fever, it's actually kind of a relief.
;)

Hey - it's not tax time yet - calm down! :D

• Members

Suck it up wuss. Ya gotta get tough, ya gotta get mean and when that don't work call your mommy. ;)

Then, when she doesn't answer 'cause she doesn't want to hear a bunch of whining either, grab a jug of Everclear & toss back a couple of shots. You can find the 150 proof weak ass stuff in California but not the good 190 proof. :eek:

Seriously Phil. Take care of yourself. I'm betting the fallout from the fires ain't helping you none.

• Members

Another food that compliments the anti-bacterial, anti-viral properties of garlic and peppers is onions. So anything with garlic, peppers, onions in it is going to be good for a cold, something like for instance salsa, or chinese food.

Hope you feel better Phil.

• Members

Back in 50's when I grew up in El Toro, we called Santa Ana, Santa Ana...Tustin, Irvine, etc...El Toro is now Lake Forest, Tustin seems to be baja Orange, and Irvine is all over the place.

I agree, Santana has been misappropriated...

FEEL BETTER PHIL,

• Members
Originally posted by TheWewus

Another food that compliments the anti-bacterial, anti-viral properties of garlic and peppers is onions. So anything with garlic, peppers, onions in it is going to be good for a cold, something like for instance salsa, or chinese food.

Hope you feel better Phil.

You're singing my song! I love garlic, peppers and onions!

Should be easy to come by for the Great, Barbecue-meister hisself, Philla-Dilla the Magnificient! :D

Of course I expect the benefits are severely diminished by cooking these foods, eh?

BTW - When did they let you back in the hen house, Wewus?

• Members

Originally posted by Robman2

Back in 50's when I grew up in El Toro, we called Santa Ana, Santa Ana...Tustin, Irvine, etc...El Toro is now Lake Forest, Tustin seems to be baja Orange, and Irvine is all over the place.

I agree, Santana has been misappropriated...

FEEL BETTER PHIL,

Well, we just called the winds "Santanas" [pronounced with the short flat A's of the transplanted midwesterners that most of my elders were] -- it was a lot more common to hear older folks refer to the town as "Santy Ana" -- it used to drive me nuts. Don't hear that much, these days. Although, of course, most of the current citizens of Santa Ana probably do pronounce the city name santana (with, of course, the soft "ah" sound that dominates Spanish pronunciation).

I think "Santanas" was the spelling the old Register used, too. Seems to me that everyone got 'proper' about calling them "Santa Anas" in the 60's. That said, I think if you go back, you'll probably find that "Santa Anas" was probably in wider use outside the OC area.

Heck, maybe calling them "Santanas" was more a Santa Ana thing. I know a lot of people didn't like the winds being associated with the town. There was still a lot of midwestern-small-town-style boosterism in Santa Ana when I was a kid. I could easily imagine that fitting into the Register's use of the colloquialism.

• Members

The term, loosly translated as Devil Wind.

Some other lore, My GG and his pal Whiting planted the grove now called LF to make it big as rail road tie-coons,

They didn't realize that area is sandstone, under hard pan clay, the trees quickly grew to about where they are toda, and the wood when hewn, twisted and cracked, completly ususable for ties.

He also made booze for the OC Sheriffs down his way during the prohibition era.

His business was a pool hall, butcher shop and barber shop, at the corner of El Toro Road, and the ATSF tracks.

There's a small model of old El Toro in the buildings they saved at the historical park El Serrano, up the road a bit from there.

Too bad I was young when the family sold the land, it would be a historical landmark and the best sports bar on the west coast.

Hell, I'd be living on Lido Isle.

Archived