those free IQ tests - do you believe your results?

• Members
Originally posted by 2180

Actual genius is very rare, if you were to have an 180 IQ, you would be 1 person in 4 million.

I wonder how would Albert Einstein and Alexander Pushkin fare in an IQ test, considering they were not good at math. Anyway, I really fail to see how solving some logical puzzles can be relevant in deciding who's genius and who's not.

• Members

The idea is that if you do good on logic puzzles and other tasks of abstract/conceptual thinking, that you would do better on a constellation of tasks measuring the "g-factor," so you'd probably plainly have more cognitive resources available to adapt to your environment.

Some have seemed surprised by their high scores on online tests and there's good reason to believe they are somewhat inflated- in a standardized testing situation, the administrator should be setting up an optimal situation for testees to perform optimally. The tickle test was apparently normed on folks who took their test online. That includes people who tried their best but also those who were rushed to finish, didn't take it seriously, distracted by IMs or others in the library or wherever they took it, etc. So many testees likely did not perform at their optimal level. This would bring down the overall mean of the normative scores and as a result inflate the scores of those who perform optimally. Nevertheless, scoring 150 still probably means you are a smart cookie!

• Members

Kind of makes you wonder if perhaps everyone has the same intelligence, only their minds and personalities are simply "motivated" differently. We've all heard the stories of the guys who figured out the Universe but couldn't quite learn to tie their own shoes, etc...

In medieval times for instance, that person would be the village idiot. They would still have a heap of a certain type of ntelligence but no outlet for it. Every accomplishment is made from standing on the shoulders of giants, but if they never even studied any reading/writing/arithmetic (much less going on to higher education) they would likely be just as unaware of their 'talent' as anyone else. And of course, the village idiot typically was the laughing stock of the community, lived a miserable life of servitude and abuse, and typically died prematurely from embattlements, disease, malnutrition or other things. (Spend a day with your average geek in High School and see how far we've come :p)

Of course, the village idiot never weds, never fosters any children, legit or otherwise, so if high 'intelligence' is in any way shape or form genetic, well i guess we've screwed our own pooch.

• Members

I work in a place with lots of scientists. I'd guess many of them have genius IQs. One day this notable German researcher came to me for advice on how to fix a flat tire. It was a weekend, nobody around, I'm a good guy, so I figured I'd help him out. We get to his rented car, and he pulls out the manual. The guy is clueless. There I am showing him how to change it, and he's not grasping it at all. While I'm changing his flat, he retreats to read the manual under a shady tree. Oh yeah, it was a steamy humid summer day, where the sweat just gets sucked out of your body.

And he's there reading the manual, asking me questions, telling me how hot it is. :mad:

After I was done, he barely acknowledged my help, and as he pulled away I'm thinking, "Yeah, some genius, can't even change a flat tire".

Then I realized that just maybe a genius doesn't have to; he just gets somebody else to change his flat tire. :o

• Members

Originally posted by phaeton

Kind of makes you wonder if perhaps everyone has the same intelligence, only their minds and personalities are simply "motivated" differently.

As a special education teacher of severely and profoundly developmentally disabled children, I can categorically say no!!!!!!!

• Members

As a special education teacher of severely and profoundly developmentally disabled children, I can categorically say no!!!!!!!

Yes... but how do you know? :)

How do you know that they wouldn't have some amazing ability in some scientific field that won't exist for another 500 years? Hmmm?

Or perhaps having that ability (and others), but having a disability that keeps it from the forefront, something that some picoelectromechanical interface of the future could tap into and allow to thrive?

Sounds like a Science Fiction Novel.. hmm...

Oh well, i'm rambling now. The older I get the dumber I get, it seems. :(

Greg Anderson says:

I think that ultimately, IQ tests measure how good you are at taking IQ tests.

Somebody ought to ban this jackass!!
:mad:

You know, I was going to respond further to this, but I recently found out that I am a phantom, a hoax, and that I do not exist, so what's the point? :(;):D

• Members

I'd imagine a large percentage of our posters would score high on these kinds of tests...I'd also imagine that a lot of us are here because we are, or at least we fancy ourselves to be, outsiders. We're not "normal," at least in a statistical sense. Otherwise, we'd have gotten a business degree and become a drone in a corporate anthill "like everybody else."

But in all my mental and spiritual explorations, my biggest discovery is this: An ounce of sincerity is worth a ton of cleverness.

Originally posted by Anderton

I think that ultimately, IQ tests measure how good you are at taking IQ tests.

:) Absolutely true Craig.

Too bad that pulling 160's and 170's on the Stanford-Binet isn't a marketable skill that is in high demand, with correspondingly high financial compensation associated with it, or I could just take IQ tests for a living and be rolling in the bucks. ;) Of course, I wouldn't find that nearly as satisfying on a personal level as doing what I do now. ;)

• Members

~~~~~~~~~~

Yes... but how do you
know
?
:)

How do you know that they wouldn't have some amazing ability in some scientific field that won't exist for another 500 years? Hmmm?

:D

Interesting you should say that since I sometimes tell people that my students are so incredibly intelligent and advanced that they have become pure energy and no longer bother with their pesky little corporeal selves..

Archived