NGD!! Gibson LP Studio. Is it better than a modded Epiphone?

_pete_

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

very nice. happy new guitar day!

the "part of a sticker that was peeled off" is where the round white "Made in Canada" sticker goes, so that you don't mistakenly assume that since it says "Gibson USA" that the case was actually made in the USA. wonder how it got peeled off though...

• Members

Thanks Pete, I love this kind of detail and am looking forward to the clips. GP recently ran a comparison between a $5000 dollar Gibson Custom Shop and a $400 dollar Epi Standard and though the Gibson won, the reviewer said he thought the difference was in the electronics and a pickup change in the Epi would get you 90% of the way there.

So I guess this means the Gibby's going back, no?

• Members

When I bought my Epi LP Custom in 1999, I sat in the store and compared it to an LP Studio, wife said I could buy which ever one I wanted. I chose the Epi and there are times I think I regret that decision, but that usually passes when I play it. Why I chose the Epi -- neck was a tad smaller, looked better, sound was 99% the same (agreed, more crunch on the Gibby but not much) and of course the cost. Like Pete, I've modded the {censored} out of mine and I love it. Sounds fantastic and plays great.

• Members

Nothing wrong with an Epi for what they cost. If you can't afford the real Gibson version, at least you still get a decent guitar with the Epiphone. Back when I started playing guitar, inexpensive guitars were just outright pieces-of-{censored}. Kids and others just starting out on beginning/mid-range guitars today don't realize how good they have it. My first guitar didn't even make good firewood...it cost my parents $15 at a garage sale, and looking back now I'd say that they paid $14 too much for it. I can't believe I played the piss out of that thing for a year and a half until my parents bought me a "real" guitar for my 16th birthday.

For the record, I like the looks of that Studio...the fretboard looks nice and dark, I like the look of that plain top, and the entire guitar has just got that "workingman's guitar" look and most-likely feel to it. I'd love to see a picture of the back of it though. Bottom line is that for $999 it's a heck of a deal.

• Members

Here's the sound clips.

This is each guitar through the exact same amp settings and volume. First is a clean Fender amp setting followed by a Marshall setting.

I just noodled a bit and tried to flip through the pickups. The volume and tone knobs on both guitars were at 10.

I'll let you figure out which guitar is which. They sound more alike through the distortion but a little different clean.

The playing is slop so have mercy on me.

Guitar #1

Guitar #2

• Members

For the record, The factory Brite Wire strings blow.

I just broke the B string at the tuner. First string I've broken in years!

I don't much like the feel of them either.

I wanted to keep the original strings on in case I send it back but that's out the window now.

• Members

That's a tough one. I liked both, and considering I am listening to these clips with crappy computer speakers, I really didn't think one was obviously better sounding than the other. I would guess Epi is #1 and Gibson #2.

Nice playing by theway, you're quite the shredder. I still like the Epi over the Gibson. I wouldn't blame you though for keeping the Gibson in the end. It is a nice color. The Epi looks more rugged to me. I like the knobs on it. Binding does make it look complete too. Seems like you prefer the Epi overall, but I think it will take more than a couple of days to see if you change your opinion about the Gibson. Or maybe not. My Epi LP weighs 8.3 lbs btw.

• Members

I don't know which one is which, but it sounded as if the second one articulated a little better and maybe you felt more comfortable pushing yourself on that track instead of the first.

My personal opinion is that I want it to be the Epiphone on the second, but the chips will fall where they will.

On second thought, I think another variable in all of this is that a guitar we are comfortable with and know the limitations of will most always sound better and play better than a new guitar.

Just my 2 cents,

Z

• Members

They both sound good. The first one seemed a little more subdued. It sounded like there was slightly more warmth and complexity to the tone on the second track, though it might be due to the overall volume difference. Either guitar can dish out the rock obviously, so I'd base your decision more on your gut feeling. Do you see yourself playing one or the other based on feel, tone, or looks? Maybe you could toss a coin, or keep them both.

• Members

I was gonna wait for more responses until the reveal but what the hell.

Let's see here. Comments on guitar #1 were:

#1 is Gibson

The 1st one sounds a lot like my Epi LP Custom

I dunno which is which, but I like the first clip better

I would guess Epi is #1

The first one seemed a little more subdued.

#1=Epi

Comments on guitar #2 were:

#2 Epi

#2 is the Gibson

Gibson #2.

I liked the sound of number 2 more, so I'll go gibby

the second one articulated a little better,I want it to be the Epiphone

more warmth and complexity to the tone on the second track

#2=Gibby

For the record, the volume and distortion level was untouched on each track. Both guitars were run through the exact same amp and settings and at the same exact volume level. The differences were solely from each guitar.

And the answer is:

#1 was the Gibson

#2 was the Epiphone

Very interesting comments here.

It seems like an Epi can get into Gibson territory.

My work here is done.

BTW, the Gibson case totally smokes the MF case that the Epi has. :)

• Members

If you get rid of either the 498 or the 490 let me know. I have a new Dimarzio Super D in black plus $$$ if interested. And try lowering the 498T. I tried that on a suggestion from another fellow member here and damn if that didnt make the thing sing.

Archived