Guitar build/ethics question

asdfjkl semi

• Members

So I've been working on this guitar for my brother for a couple of months. It's a surprise present for his birthday on the 23rd.

I started out with a half-way decent 4 piece body from a guitar he traded me for my drumkit a long time ago. I stripped and sanded all the paint, did a nice hand rubbed finish, then I layered some artwork on top of that. I didn't have a whole lot of money, but I wound up buying some graph-tech nice saddles, straplocks, a good five way switch and better pots, copper shielding, and a brand new fender neck for it. (Nothing against the warmoth's, but the ones I wanted were out of my budget and I didn't want to finish a neck myself). I decided to put in the old pickups from my MIM strat after potting them in wax.

The last part I ordered, Schaller locking tuners finally came in and now I'm starting to consider keeping these bad boys for my own axe. If I do that, he'll only wind up getting the regular Fender keys that are on my strat. I'm torn between trying to make him the best axe I could for what I had, and giving myself a nice little upgrade. Any suggestions?

• Members

I reckon because your asking, you have a conscience, and because of that, if you keep em, you know every time you look at them your gonna feel guilty (even though you shouldnt)

Hand em over, and get some more for yourself when you can afford em.
(imo)

• Members

I reckon because your asking, you have a conscience, and because of that, if you keep em, you know every time you look at them your gonna feel guilty (even though you shouldnt)

Hand em over, and get some more for yourself when you can afford em.

(imo)

Agreed. I WISH I had a brother, especially one I could bond with through music. Value that (which im sure you do, so should be true to yourself). If I were you, I'd give him the tuners.

• Members

Yeah, you guys are right. I'm gonna put them on his axe, and when I get another $60 or 70 bones, get myself a set.

I think Tezmond hit the nail on the head

if you keep em, you know every time you look at them your gonna feel guilty

Thanks, guys. I'll post some pics when it's all done. And maybe the look on his face when he gets it. :)

• Members
Yep. Definitely keep them.
:cool:

Haha, I was thinking about it pretty hard for a while.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Schallers mounted on the neck I bought for my bro:
IMG_6105.JPG
(They're brushed steel and have a matte finish, not chrome)

So I just potted the pickups tonight, and in cleaning them up afterwards I managed to break a pretty important wire off the neck P/U...
IMG_6109.JPG
IMG_6099.JPG
(I separated the winding from the ground!)

Does you guys know how to fix this, or do you have a spare neck pup you want to sell me? I can't get any more of the winding off because (a) all the windings are now saturated in wax and (b) this is the end that's beneath all the other windings.

• Members
Haha, I was thinking about it pretty hard for a while.

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Schallers mounted on the neck I bought for my bro:

(They're brushed steel and have a matte finish, not chrome)

So I just potted the pickups tonight, and in cleaning them up afterwards I managed to break a pretty important wire off the neck P/U...

(I separated the winding from the ground!)

Does you guys know how to fix this, or do you have a spare neck pup you want to sell me? I can't get any more of the winding off because (a) all the windings are now saturated in wax and (b) this is the end that's beneath all the other windings.

Use a little more solder to build a "bridge". It'll have a subtle affect on tone, but not one you'd notice wthout instrumentation.

• Members

it's probably coated in varnish.
VERY carefully scape your remaining end with a razor blade. Think scrape, not cut. so use the razor at a 90 degree angle to the wire and pull it towards the end. VERY carefully.

Then I would unsolder the wire that goes to the terminal that this end of the pup used to go to. You said ground, so unsolder the black wire for the eyelet. Then strip back some more of it's insulation. Then put it back thru the eyelet with the extra coming out the other side. bend it over towards the lead from the pup, making up the lost distance, and solder it to the pup wire.

This will leand some strength. Have an eye to where it needs to lie (lay?) to clear the pup cover. good luck!

Archived