Fogerty Rocks!

Kiwiburger

• Members

I saw John Fogerty last night (New Zealand) and was blown away. I thought about not going - because I don't like seeing performers who should be put out to pasture long ago.

But - I was gobsmacked at how young and fit he was. I mean, those CCR tunes are iconic and around 35 years old ... but John was bouncing around the stage like an 18yr old.

I was trying to work out how old he could be. I was thinking he must have been a teenager when he did the CCR stuff.

Today - I find out that he is 60. Amazing! And I also just found out that for the last 35 years John has had legal problems with his old label and hasn't been able to perform his own CCR songs.

No wonder he seemed so happy and full of energy. Aren't some record companies and laywers just so stupid?

Why would a sane business person tie up a creative iconic genius for years? They've sold the label to some sensible people, and Fogerty has re-signed with them and I expect they will make some money at last.

• Members

Way, way back in 1969 they had this little get-together called...Woodstock.:eek:

I was 18, just out of high school. Went up there with three of my friends. Parked about 10 miles away becasue that was as close as you could get and they had shut down the roads closer to Bethel. We got there late on Friday night so we just nodded in the van.

Saturday morning we started hiking. After a few miles it started to pour. We went back to the van, had a "Spam" sandwich that one guy had made. (Note: It was the absolute last time I ate that garbage!). After some time, the rain lessened, so we hiked up to the fairgrounds.

We were at the top of the ridge that formed a natural amphitheater going away from the stage. It rained; it poured; we were soaked; covered with mud, etc. Saw everybody that played from noon Saturday until about 2:00-3:00 AM on Sunday morning before trudging back to the van --- we're talking Santana, Melanie, Canned Heat (twice!), and so on. People have told me they saw me in the movie in the beginning but I never did spot myself.

It must have been around 1:00 AM Sunday morning when Creedence Clearwater Revival took the stage. It was one of the most amazing things I ever saw, in that every single person for as far as you could see suddenly got up on and stayed on his/her feet for the entire time that Creedence rocked! And they did rock!

After Creedence finished we headed back for the van, exhausted and amazed by the whole Woodstock thing. The music was great, to say the least. The second most featured item I remember was the MUD! There was no escaping it. The MUD ruled.

I went to all the festivals of the day in the East --- Watkins Glen, Poconos Raceway, etc. Some of the others had higher estimates of people attending but I can tell you this --- there had to be a million people at Woodstock; no other festival came close in numbers no matter what you've read. :freak:

• Members

IMO anyone over 30 playing rock and roll should be put out to pasture...

IMO - any under 30 playing rock and rock should be given a good spanking and be sent straight to bed with no story.

Some of the best rock performances i've seen in very recent years have been from old dinosaurs who've been around the block. The Who, REM, Deep Purple (yeah!), The Pretenders can still put on a great show.

There are plenty of young whiney navel gazers trying to sound like the older rockers and failing miserably. IMO.

• Members

Most people under 30 have no concept of real rockn roll. Like from when it was invented: Chuck Berry, The Rock N Roll Trio, Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins, Bo Diddley, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, The Everly Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, etc.

Nor have they heard the music that gave birth to r&r: Ike Turner, BB King, Muddy Waters, Big Joe Williams, Louis Jordan, Hank Williams, etc., etc...

How can one make good rock if one doesn't know what makes it up?

• Members

I saw so many of the old boys and girls play back in my 20s and 30s. This, for those of you who think over 30s are dead and done, is music. Most of the folks on this list are untouchable compared to some of the trite stuff today:

The Young Rascals --------------------- Sha Na Na

Bruce Springsteen --------------------- Nils Lofgren Band

Eagles --------------------------------- Glenn Frey (w/his band)

Poco ----------------------------------- Loggins and Messina

Albert King ---------------------------- Elton John

B.B. King ------------------------------- James Cotton Blues Band

Freddie King -------------------------- James Taylor

Santana ------------------------------- Doc Watson

CSN+Y ---------------------------------- Heart

Stills-Young ---------------------------- Twisted Sister (!!!???!!!)

Crosby-Nash -------------------------- Randall's Island

Manassas ------------------------------ Boz Scaggs

Quicksilver Messenger Service ------------- Beach Boys

Grateful Dead ------------------------- Jefferson Airplane

Jefferson Starship -------------------- Country Joe and the Fish

Buddy Guy ----------------------------- Eric Clapton

John Mayall ---------------------------- Jackson Browne

John David Souther ------------------ Souther-Hillman-Furay

America --------------------------------- Rolling Stones

The Who -------------------------------- Led Zeppelin

The Band -------------------------------- Bob Dylan

Melanie ---------------------------------- Canned Heat

Yes ------------------------------------ Three Dog Night

Emerson, Lake and Palmer --------------- Jim Croce

Creedence Clearwater Revival ----------- J. Fogerty (w/out Creedence)

Tom Waits ------------------------------- Leo Kottke (spelling?)

Allman Brothers (w+w/out Duane) -------- Jethro Tull

Taj Mahal

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head, but if I sat here for the duration the list would easily be double what it is.

First Concert----- The Young Rascals at 17 years old

Last Concert ---- Loggins and Messina this past August

(had seen them many years ago as well)

Regret Missing -- The great Everly Brothers

Noticeably absent from the list: The Beatles

I was 12th in line for the Concert For Bangladesh at a ticket outlet only to get screwed out of tickets by an uncontrolled stampede once the doors opened. Numbered stubs that were distributed before opening weren't honored.

The bands that I enjoyed the most had strong vocals and harmony.

If you've made it this far you deserve a GRAMMY! :bor::freak::wave:

• Members

Lucky, we just started covering "Who'll Stop the Rain ", which Fogarty says he wrote after Woodstock. He did a show on A&E last year that was wonderful. My best friend's wife called from Denver and told me to turn to A&E, as John Fogarty was doing a request show. His chops were right there and it seemed he used a different beautiful guitar for every other song. There were Teles and Pauls, Taylors and Strats, Rics and every high end axe you could imagine. I had a woody for days. It was mahogony, maple, koa, ebony and rosewood.

• Members

I think it would be great if our society wasn't so fixated on age and what people should and should not do at a particular age. We just love to put people in boxes based on their age. That is RIDICULOUS!

If youngsters can rock, let 'em rock. If geezers can rock, let 'em rock.

Archived