Todays' Guitar Gods can't compete!

coldshot2000

• Members

Judging from his appearance, this was back in the 1980's. Is it just me, or do todays' guitar heroes pale in comparison? IMHO the eighties was the best decade for guitar greats. Show me a guitarist today that commands the respect and POPULARITY that Eddie had in his prime. Check this out. Effortless!

How about Dime or Zakk

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, Setzer is a much better guitarist, so that makes sense.

Imo would give your comments more cred.

The term "better" at their level is nothing but subjective musings.

Setzer is truly world-class. How do I know this? Well, besides using my ears and seeing him perform with his orchestra, I learned Rock This Town & Stray Cat Strut off the CDs and play them just about every weekend. Those tunes gave me some problems at first but I got them. Great tunes that turn heads - no matter who the audience is. I really enjoy playing them. I'm working on 18 Miles To Memphis trying to get the lap steel part in regular tuning (unless I get one of those VG Strats).

Eddie, otoh, invented an entire style of playing. It's not his fault that everybody and their cousin Earl became obsessed and tried to be him. For better or worse, Eddie changed electric guitar a la Jimi. Brian hasn't. He's great, but he didn't inspire an entire generation of guitarists. People around here respond to and are more impressed with EVH's licks more than anybody elses', from my experience. Maybe it's a regional thing.

But let's put it this way - if I warm up on I'm the One or Feel Your Love before a gig than nothing else on the set list gives me any problems at all. And I cover everybody from Jimi, EC, Page, Eddie, & Lifeson, to SRV, Setzer, Gibbons, Iommi, Santana, Blackmore, Nugent, etc. etc. etc. pretty much n-f-n.

So I'm speaking from the pov of having taken the time to figure this stuff out. Not just listening to it and speculating.

As far as Finish What You Started goes, well, I can hybrid pick, chicken pick, and finger pick (I've been playing for 40 years) but Eddie takes it to a new level on that song. For you to say "It ain't that difficult" just lets me know that you've never learned it. I didn't think it was that hard either until I started playing it. I can learn it but it's a project. Just like "Cause We've Ended As Lovers.

Anyone who thinks Eddie is easy to cover or is a wanker either:

1. doesn't know what they're talking about

or

2. never bothered to learn anything by him because it's difficult

or

3. just doesn't like great hard rock guitar playing the way he does it

I'm not some kind of fan boy or something. I've always liked his style but I admire all kinds of folks in all kinds of music. He's not even my favorite guitarist of all time. I'm just saying that he's tougher to cover than anybody else in popular rock music. The only song that I learned that's as tough as some of his stuff is Crossroads by EC. SOB! And now I see EC licks in Eddie's playing.

Tell you what - sit down and figure Women In Love from intro right on thru to the end and tell me how easy that is.

I mean no disrespect. For all I know you could be good enough to whip right thru this stuff. But I don't think so and you know why? Because if you could you'd have to give him his props whether you like his style ot not.

And I am not bragging at all. There are local guys around here that blow me away. Big time. But I do take the time to really learn whatever songs I'm given to learn and this has made me appreciate everybody who plays. I never really liked AC/DC until I learned some of their tunes and saw the crowd reaction. Now I get it.

• Members
I wish they would have kept Roth. My personal favorite vocalist of all time.
:thu:

Yeah, Dave gets the edge on Sammy. I pretend like the Gary Cherone album doesn't exist. It's the only VH album I refused to buy. Once Eddie gets out of rehab, he should get back together with Dave, or go the Santana route and make an album with multible guest vocalists. That would be cool.

• Members

A lot of players you mentioned are country pickers...I don't really know much about the country music scene, but they do have decent players.

Santana? Since when?

Petty mabye.

Still it is not as common to see guitar players as it used to be. More american idol crap than anything else.

The country scence has been known for having "decent" players? Are you drunk or nuts. And you never commented on Pete Stroud. I know lots of people who have gone to Henley and Sheryl concerts JUST to hear him(and see his wicked gear) But, I guess if they don't play fluffy butt-metal, it doesn't count.

• Members
Imo would give your comments more cred.

The term "better" at their level is nothing but subjective musings.

Setzer is truly world-class. How do I know this? Well, besides using my ears and seeing him perform with his orchestra, I learned Rock This Town & Stray Cat Strut off the CDs and play them just about every weekend. Those tunes gave me some problems at first but I got them. Great tunes that turn heads - no matter who the audience is. I really enjoy playing them. I'm working on 18 Miles To Memphis trying to get the lap steel part in regular tuning (unless I get one of those VG Strats).

Eddie, otoh, invented an entire style of playing. It's not his fault that everybody and their cousin Earl became obsessed and tried to be him. For better or worse, Eddie changed electric guitar a la Jimi. Brian hasn't. He's great, but he didn't inspire an entire generation of guitarists. People around here respond to and are more impressed with EVH's licks more than anybody elses', from my experience. Maybe it's a regional thing.

But let's put it this way - if I warm up on I'm the One or Feel Your Love before a gig than nothing else on the set list gives me any problems at all. And I cover everybody from Jimi, EC, Page, Eddie, & Lifeson, to SRV, Setzer, Gibbons, Iommi, Santana, Blackmore, Nugent, etc. etc. etc. pretty much n-f-n.

So I'm speaking from the pov of having taken the time to figure this stuff out. Not just listening to it and speculating.

As far as Finish What You Started goes, well, I can hybrid pick, chicken pick, and finger pick (I've been playing for 40 years) but Eddie takes it to a new level on that song. For you to say "It ain't that difficult" just lets me know that you've never learned it. I didn't think it was that hard either until I started playing it. I can learn it but it's a project. Just like "Cause We've Ended As Lovers.

Anyone who thinks Eddie is easy to cover or is a wanker either:

1. doesn't know what they're talking about

or

2. never bothered to learn anything by him because it's difficult

or

3. just doesn't like great hard rock guitar playing the way he does it

I'm not some kind of fan boy or something. I've always liked his style but I admire all kinds of folks in all kinds of music. He's not even my favorite guitarist of all time. I'm just saying that he's tougher to cover than anybody else in popular rock music. The only song that I learned that's as tough as some of his stuff is Crossroads by EC. SOB! And now I see EC licks in Eddie's playing.

Tell you what - sit down and figure Women In Love from intro right on thru to the end and tell me how easy that is.

I mean no disrespect. For all I know you could be good enough to whip right thru this stuff. But I don't think so and you know why? Because if you could you'd have to give him his props whether you like his style ot not.

And I am not bragging at all. There are local guys around here that blow me away. Big time. But I do take the time to really learn whatever songs I'm given to learn and this has made me appreciate everybody who plays. I never really liked AC/DC until I learned some of their tunes and saw the crowd reaction. Now I get it.

Really, his playing on Finish What You Started isn't exactly tough for someone who has played that type of music most of his life. Believe me, there is a lot of stuff out there that was far harder than that for me to get a handle on. BTW, it is easily my favorite VH song. My guess is that you haven't done a lot of the Nashville scene, in person or just as a fan. And that is the only song I specified, so why argue about other ones that I have no opinion on or interest in? And yes, I enjoy playing CROSSROADS live and letting it rip a little.

• Members
Judging from his appearance, this was back in the 1980's. Is it just me, or do todays' guitar heroes pale in comparison? IMHO the eighties was the best decade for guitar greats. Show me a guitarist today that commands the respect and POPULARITY that Eddie had in his prime. Check this out. Effortless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDUYIkq975Y

I know this will probably incite some flames, (:p ) but I have to say I much prefer todays guitarists to '80s guitarists. Sure. There were shredders by the {censored}pile in the '80s. Tons of technical skill...Yet I find all the shred stuff seriously lacking in the creativity department. You have guys that can shred at a million miles an hour, and blaze through arpeggios and scales, yet I'd bet that if you told them to play some slow blues that they'd fail miserably.

Why? Because they're technical players. A creative person can play slow and keep people entertained. A shredder needs to make up for their lack of creativity with a freak show in the form of sheer speed.

Of course, this is all my opinion. :wave:

• Members
I know this will probably incite some flames, (
:p
) but I have to say I much prefer todays guitarists to '80s guitarists. Sure. There were shredders by the {censored}pile in the '80s. Tons of technical skill...Yet I find all the shred stuff seriously lacking in the creativity department. You have guys that can shred at a million miles an hour, and blaze through arpeggios and scales, yet I'd bet that if you told them to play some slow blues that they'd fail miserably.

Why? Because they're technical players. A creative person can play slow and keep people entertained. A shredder needs to make up for their lack of creativity with a freak show in the form of sheer speed.

Of course, this is all my opinion.
:wave:

Of course, I have to compensate for my lack of speed with feel, so it goes both ways.

• Members
Really, his playing on Finish What You Started isn't exactly tough for someone who has played that type of music most of his life. Believe me, there is a lot of stuff out there that was far harder than that for me to get a handle on. BTW, it is easily my favorite VH song. My guess is that you haven't done a lot of the Nashville scene, in person or just as a fan. And that is the only song I specified, so why argue about other ones that I have no opinion on or interest in? And yes, I enjoy playing CROSSROADS live and letting it rip a little.

OK. Fair enough. I didn't know that you were primarily a country player. I guess you picked one (so to speak) that was in your comfort zone. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses. And that particular song is sort an anomoly for him.

Get back to me when you can do Women In Love, Feel Your Love, I'm the One, Mean Streets, etc. My guess is that you haven't learned them.

I know, I know - you're not interested in them. Just give any one of them a shot. There's a lot more than tapping going on there. If you want to learn tapping then learn Eruption or Hot For Teacher.

Since you're a country guy, ask Brad Paisley what he thinks about Eddie's chops. Next time you're in Nashville.

I'd still like to hear you play Finish tho..... just saying.

Anybody who slags Eddie's playing, whether they like his personality or his music or not, well, let's just say I question how much they really know. Sort of like the guys who say that Jimi was sloppy. Or the goofs who say YeeHaw! when you mention Skynyrd. I know it's all opinion. But there's a difference between opinion based on knowledge and opinion based on visceral reaction to the player's style. Just because a person doesn't particularly like something, that doesn't make it bad.

I mean, I'm not a huge country fan but there are a lot of country players who blow my mind. Even when I was a R&R kid I was in awe of their abilities. And you won't hear me slagging them. Ever.

I guess I'm at the point in my playing where the more I learn, the less apt I am to critisize or be dismissive.

And again, please don't take offense. We just both have strong opinions and we both have played for a long time. I bet you're a hell of a player. I'm just trying to get you to open your mind a little. :cool:

• Members
OK, and this is not a troll, but what exactly did VH "invent"?
:confused:

Well he was the first to make tapping popular, though hardly the first, (even in the mainstream to do it).... perhaps he was just the first to OVER-DO it.....

I'm not quite certain what Ed invented.... "shredders" had Blackmore and Uli Jon Roth to thank, hard rock players had Page, Iommi, and a whole lot of other great 70's guitar legends....

So aside from being popular, I am really not quite sure what Ed invented:confused:

• Moderators

Well he was the first to make tapping popular, though hardly the first, (even in the mainstream to do it).... perhaps he was just the first to OVER-DO it.....

I'm not quite certain what Ed invented.... "shredders" had Blackmore and Uli Jon Roth to thank, hard rock players had Page, Iommi, and a whole lot of other great 70's guitar legends....

So aside from being popular, I am really not quite sure what Ed invented:confused:

Echoes my knowledge exactly, I think Blackmore hit the proverbial nail on the head when asked about VH, when he said, he's an ok guitarist, although unoriginal but possibly one of the best quantity songwriters since Cole Porter. But as you say, Roth, Blackmore, Schenker had shred/tap nailed before VH.

• Members

Errrr that'd be the 80s between 1968 and 1983? And I think Steve Vai could just about cope with "Eddie"

Definitely - He'd eat him for breakfast (and probably would have done at 16, judging by his virtuoso skills when he joined Zappa). I'd love to see a duel of Malmsteen vs VH - it would be quite amusing :p. Eddie's something of a legend, and an influence, but too many people "over-elevate" him.

• Members

Ed is one of the most prolific song writers of the last 30 years. The fact that he can tear it up with the best of them on guitar as well just makes him that much more of an anomaly. As a guitar player I would most enjoy being someone of Ed's caliber, top notch musician that has the ability to write song's millions of people enjoy. If given a choice between having a musical career like Ed's or one like Albert Lee I doubt many on this site would pick Albert Lee.

You may not like his music but that doesn't make him a bad guitar player. For better or worse the man influenced more guitarists then anyone in my life time (34).

• Members
OK, and this is not a troll, but what exactly did VH "invent"?
:confused:

Only an entirely different and distinct style that influenced an entire generation of aspiring guitarists and appealed to great masses of people.
I appreciate all the players mentioned here. I've seen most of them.
Blackmore is one of my favorites and certainly right up there with Eddie. They have a lot in common.
1. They were able to put incredible solos into radio-friendly rock songs.
2. They both say incredibly stupid and negative things about other musicians.

I learned Highway Star last night so that I can perform it with a friend's band the next time I'm not playing and go to see them. Great song, great harmony solo. Not as difficult as a lot of Eddie's licks.

And his tone, while excellent, is pretty much the same on every album.
Eddie changed things up and got a wide variety of tones and effects.

A lot is subjective and there is no accounting for individual tastes.

But all I know is that when I heard VHI for the first time my reaction was - it's all studio tricks, there's no way he can perform this stuff live. HA!

I've been to hundreds of concerts in my life and have seen just about all the greats. So I've seen some amazing players.

I saw him in Mobile, AL. and got right up to the stage with a "let's see what you can do" attitude.

It was the most overwhelming guitar performance I've ever seen. I have never been stunned like that by anyone before or since. I had a camera with me (I was a pro photog. at the time) and I forgot that I had a camera until the end of the show.

I was 10 feet away from him, watched his entire performance, and did not pick up a single lick. I could not tell what he was doing at all. And I've been stealing licks since I was a kid. I left there after watching him and didn't even know that he was tapping the fretboard. (I saw him later on TV and realized what he was doing)

And like I said - I've seen them all. Yngwie couldn't hold a candle to him. Sorry. Seen them both up close. No where near the stage presence or showmanship either.

I wasn't the only one who was totally blown away that night. Me and 3 other guitarists rode together to the show that night from Pensacola talking {censored}.

We rode home in stunned silence. Every once in awhile someone would say "What the {censored} was he........?"
"How did he.....?"

We left on Black Sabbath. I love Black Sabbath. Always have. But they couldn't match the energy level.

We weren't the only ones to leave early that night either.

And if you really want to get into it, Eddie also came up with the first superstrat. So he invented a style of guitar also. Ugliest thing I ever saw as far as guitars go - empty pu cavity with exposed wires, funky paint job, etc. I didn't realize that he came up with a prototype because nobody made anything like that at the time.

And again, all these other guys - YM, JS, SV, whoever - they're all virtuosos. But most people have no clue who they are. Everybody knows who Eddie is. Just like Jimi. Because they wrote great pop/rock songs. A lot of people can play. Writing hit songs? Well, that's the part that makes you a household name.

• Members
Yngwie couldn't hold a candle to him. Sorry. Seen them both up close. No where near the stage presence or showmanship either.

We're talking about the same guy here, right? Yngwie is all over the stage, flinging his guitar around while playing flawless solos and riffs. If that's not showmanship and stage presence, I don't know what is.

• Members
We're talking about the same guy here, right? Yngwie is all over the stage, flinging his guitar around while playing flawless solos and riffs. If that's not showmanship and stage presence, I don't know what is.

OK. Fair enough. I know better than to judge by only one performance. But he didn't do any of that stuff the night I saw him. He stood stock still staring at his fretboard.
Of course, he may have still been dazed from being punched in the mouth by his road manager about an hour before showtime. In front of everybody who was there at soundcheck. :D

• Members
OK. Fair enough. I know better than to judge by only one performance. But he didn't do any of that stuff the night I saw him. He stood stock still staring at his fretboard.

Of course, he may have still been dazed from being punched in the mouth by his road manager about an hour before showtime. In front of everybody who was there at soundcheck.
:D

Ouch. Yeah, that may have something to do with it. Every Malmsteen video I have, he's really in command of the show, doing all the Blackmore moves. His playing is also perfect. I have an Alctrazz bootleg from 1984 that contains probably his best playing. Great tone, varied licks, not too overpowering. Awesome sound quality as well, sounds like it could've been an official live album.

I also have tons of early Van Halen bootlegs, even some prior to Eddie discovering the two-handed tapping technique. Lotsa great stuff there. Love Eddie's playing, one of the first guys I listened to when I started playing guitar.

Archived