Happy New Korina Guitar Day for ME!....

baimun

• Members

After a week and a half of pacing back and forth like a little kid waiting for Santa Claus... my Korina Luczak guitar is finally here!

Judging by the mess in the background, and that the guy let a $1700 hand made one-off go for $500 on ebay, I was expecting the worst.

kor1.jpg

It arrived in a low rent, dirty, beat up pawn shop guitar case, and the guitar had some signifigant grime on the headstock.

I damn near threw the guitar in the air lifting it out of the case... I swear thing thing can't weigh more than 5 pounds. :freak: The wood grain is even more stunning in reality than in the pics.

Carve and neck contour are almost identical to my 20th Anniversary PRS other than the neck feels a bit thicker. Sperzel locking tuners, graphtech bridge and what appears to be an early Earvana nut with tiny set screws. I normally keep my action very low, but this is almost TOO LOW for me. It doesn't buzz or fret out, but it's so low (with these light strings) that I can barely get the meat of my fingers under the strings to bend.

There's quite a few scratches, but nothing that won't either buff out or, since the guitar is finished in Nitro lacquer, fill in nicely.

It also has the lightest of light, jangly strings on it... so I'm going to clean it up, put some proper strings on it, remove the EMG pickups and put some Seymour Duncans in... and then give a complete complete review. :thu:

• Members
Damn, $500???
:eek:
:eek:

The EMG's are probably worth about $150 just by themselves....and you get a handmade Korina axe
:love:

That's what I was thinking when I bid... I figured I could easily swing $500 for an unknown guitar just for the wood alone... and once I get back $150 or so on the Zack Wylde pickups that are in it, I effectively could go $650 or so on the bidding.

After getting the info from the Luthier about it's construction, I felt like I got a won a guitar lottery. :)

Korina (or Limba) has tonal properties that are mid way between Mahogany and Koa... but it's lighter than either. Most well known Korina guitars are the 58 Gibson V and the Explorer.

• Members

I was joking that I must be supporting somebody's crack habit, because there's no way this guitar should have sold for less than a grand or grand and a half.

Took it to the guitar store at lunch... plugged into a fender twin and went to town.

I can't believe how smooth the bends are.... it's so weird how different guitars feel "stiff" or "loose"... this is definitely the latter.

It also exemplifies why I can't wait to get the EMG's out and put the Seymour Duncan's in. The battery was low.. so if you turned the volume past 7 the pickups would start to fart out (not enough juice) or turn the tone past 7 it would get thin and weak (low voltage). Back them both up to half way and I got a better idea of how it's going to eventually sound.

My buddy who works at the store has a Jazz/Fusion gig Friday night and really wants to play it if I can get the duncans put in by then. (His normal rig is a PRS Swamp Ash/PRS Hollow Spruce/Eric Johnson Strat into a Mesa Lonestar head with a Vintage 30 loaded cab.

• Members

I am so jealous! What a fantastic deal. Easily could be a $2000 guitar or even $3000 if you had Ed Roamn build it. I had a special search for korina on e-bay but haven't looked because I have too many guitars as it is. You got a steal!!!

shesky

Archived