How many of you are able jazz players?

Jkater

• Members

I'm hoping to be able to call myself an able Jazz guitarist in the future.

I'm learning the ropes and doing as much listening as I can. I'm a fairly competent player technically, but learning the chordal knowledge (substitutions, standard progressions, comping techniques), learning how to speak Jazz improv, and increasing my general know how in music theory is where I am.

I'm the cliche guitarist who started on rock, discovered blues, and then discovered jazz.

• Members

Able? :mad: You had to throw that in there, eh?

I sit in with a couple of jazz session nights every once in a while. One is a little on the funk side (suprising number of Tower of Power fans out here), while the other tends to be more experimental. I prefer the latter.

I can hold my own. I tend to get polite applause from the audience that`s listening, and nods from my fellow musicians that say: "it`s the thought that counts"...

• Members

I'm learning the ropes and doing as much listening as I can. I'm a fairly competent player technically, but learning the chordal knowledge (substitutions, standard progressions, comping techniques), learning how to speak Jazz improv, and increasing my general know how in music theory is where I am.

I'm the cliche guitarist who started on rock, discovered blues, and then discovered jazz.

Thats me as well. I'm in the process right now of taking a song, figuring out everything I can with my limited knowledge. Figuring out how to improvise over it all over the fretboard and then rewriting the song in a different key and pretty much starting the process over.

I'm thinking after I do a few songs in 3 or 4 keys each I should have a much better understanding of music theory and jazz than I do now.

What I'm saying is... ask again in 5 years.

• Members

Not me. I am tremendously lucky, because there's a jazz group that plays in my town every Thursday night. They've been playing every week for over 4 years. They are incredible.

I go most weeks and sit and watch and listen. To me, it's like some kind of black magic. I don't have a clue. I don't understand the music at all. But I like it.

• Members

Yup, me too. So far i'm an unable jazz player, except those times where I can extrapolate on my jump-blues knowledge. As soon as we get into the really heavy/heady stuff, I'm lost (but learning)

• Members

The thing I notice when I read the replies here is that Jazz players seem more humble than their shredder or rocker counterparts. And no doubt, many who have been modest here have very good skills.

One more thing I could say is that every time a thread about jazz show up, some dude reply the advice to play "wrong" notes and pretend it was on purpose. It may be just a funny joke but it show the understanding that some have (or dont have, should I say) about the Jazz idiom.

• Members

I had these two jazz guitar teachers in high school. I was a jazz snob.

Then I thought I'd like to play music that was easier for people to hear and joined a country rock band.

Then I became a solo acoustic act.

Now I'm too old to put much over.

But you're never too old for jazz.

• Members

When I joined this forum some time ago, I was playing (learning) a lot of Jazz. I was teamed with a real Jazzer who is a saxophone player. As I was living in Germany then and speaking only german, I chose the user name "Jazzkatz" which means Jazzcat. Then I realised that I was really only a student of this genre and not (yet) a real jazzer.I decided to change my username to something less "pretentious" and found JKater which also means jazzcat (or more precisely JCat).

My thing in Jazz playing is comping. I am technically quite able and I have become pretty efficient, if I may say, through a lot of practice, at reading charts (the so-called "jazz chords"). Where I must be very humble is that I have not created anything new as such. I have a good ear and have used it to create a good vocabulary but none of it is really mine. Nevertheless, it works for me and those, better skilled at creating, who play with me.

• Members

'The thing I notice when I read the replies here is that Jazz players seem more humble than their shredder or rocker counterparts. And no doubt, many who have been modest here have very good skills.'

Well, not necessarily. I've met some really arrogant arseholes who think they are superior because they play jazz, but they are mostly horn players.:p

But in general, people who seriously get into jazz are humbled by the breadth of the music and the absolute creative genious and virtuosity of the innovators who came before them. Pops, Prez, Bird, 'Trane, Miles, Wes, Cannonball, etc,etc.

I rest my case...:cool:

Archived