Brand new, never sold 1965 SG Jr. on Ebay!

Hoddy

• Members

I don't get it. It was a beginner guitar when it was released. If you ask me, the quality on it looks like an Epiphone. Unbound neck, thick finish, and average wood grain. Sure, it says "Gibson" on the headstock and is vintage, but it still doesn't take away the fact that it's a beginner guitar.

• Members

I don't get it. It was a beginner guitar when it was released. If you ask me, the quality on it looks like an Epiphone. Unbound neck, thick finish, and average wood grain. Sure, it says "Gibson" on the headstock and is vintage, but it still doesn't take away the fact that it's a beginner guitar.

It won't be bought for playing, it will be put away for another 42 years or so until the next guy is willing to spend 100 times as much as this buyer is going to pay for it :D

• Members

Have you ever played one? I've owned a couple of them and believe me, they're no Epiphone...tone to die for.:cool:

• Members

I had a '66 SG junior and I kick myself to this day for getting rid of it...it was an AWESOME guitar.

And comparing an original near mint nitro finished Gibson from the days when they were real quality with a modern poly finished Epi is just...daft.

It's just a shame no one ever loved it enough to actually play the thing....

• Members

Have you ever played one? I've owned a couple of them and believe me, they're no Epiphone...tone to die for.
:cool:

Unfortunately, no.

But, something tells me that an SG Classic for ~$900 new would sound about the same and be more versatile. I'm sure that these vintage beginner guitars are a lot better than todays beginner guitars (Epi LP/SG specials, Squiers, etc), but to my eyes, the fit and finish on that guitar looks to be about the same as the fit and finish on an Epi G400 I saw the other day. :o

• Members

I noticed that,never seen one like it before. Anyone here have one or can shed some light on it?

One of my SG jrs had one on it, they were pretty common on those and SG specials. They weren't that good and lots of owners just used the wraparound bridge and bypassed the tailpiece.

• Members

Unfortunately, no.

But, something tells me that an SG Classic for ~$900 new would sound about the same and be more versatile. I'm sure that these vintage beginner guitars are a lot better than todays beginner guitars (Epi LP/SG specials, Squiers, etc), but to my eyes, the fit and finish on that guitar looks to be about the same as the fit and finish on an Epi G400 I saw the other day.
:o

The difference being that the Gibson had a nitro finish and a long neck tenon...something that adds to the tone and sustain and something that the Epi doesn't have. I had lots of Gibsons back in the 60s', a couple of SG jrs and a couple of Specials...the fretwork on them was impeccable...something that isn't always true with todays Epis. You have to remember, those guitars were pretty much handmade one at a time.

• Members

I take it youve played the guitar in question. Because those seem like very educated estimates of the guitar's quality.

• Members

The difference being that the Gibson had a nitro finish and a long neck tenon...something that adds to the tone and sustain and something that the Epi doesn't have. I had lots of Gibsons back in the 60s', a couple of SG jrs and a couple of Specials...the fretwork on them was impeccable...something that isn't always true with todays Epis. You have to remember, those guitars were pretty much handmade one at a time.

True...I'm sure the wood was quite a bit higher grade as well.

Sad that even today high end guitars are made with a CNC machine and painted by a robotic spray can...

• Members

They usually cost a fortune now, they used to be dirt cheap, hence the "Jr." Still, there amazing though. I'd kill to have one of those vintage SG Specials w/P-90's

You can get a '67 like this for a little over $1000.

My dad got me this for Christmas a couple years ago for $1100.

sgblk.jpg

Archived