Early Yngwie - a masterpiece performance!

Cold Gin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

or this video...

You guys have to realize that this was being done when people thought EVH and Angus were fast guitarists. Then Yngwie showed up and he was so much faster than anybody else that everybody was playing in slow motion.

Hate him for getting fat and having an attitude, but at least give him the respect he deserves for being one helluva guitarist

• Members

Yngwie doesn't have anything over Blackmore, other than skill, which even then isn't by that much.

His technique is light years beyond Blackmore's, but that's not the point as he does not sound like Ritchie Blackmore. Yes, a lot of his early songs sounded like Rainbow, and some of the melodies he used in his playing, but the playing itself? Nope.

Yngwie has more in common with Uli Jon Roth as a player, but there's still tons of difference between the two.

• Members

or this video...

You guys have to realize that this was being done when people thought EVH and Angus were fast guitarists. Then Yngwie showed up and he was so much faster than anybody else that everybody was playing in slow motion.

Hate him for getting fat and having an attitude, but at least give him the respect he deserves for being one helluva guitarist

Mahavishnu John McLaughlin was around more than a decade before any of these guys.

Yngwie's "concerti" are horrifying abuses of an orchestra for the sake of the arrongance of a megalomaniacal affected pseudo-rococo soloist. Schmalz-y kitch-y second-rate B-movie film score kind of stuff. JMO.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2S2mRY1QeY4

• Members

or this video...

George Benson predates these guys and was burning up bebop tunes long before Yngwie started sweeping. You want to talk about fast? Listen to him blow through Joy Spring at 220.

Clean.

I think Yngwie does deserve respect. He worked hard to do what he does and was/is at the forefront of it. I am not a fan but its all good.

• Members

and my favorite yngwie video... godamn, but he is light years beyond everybody...

Well musical taste is subjective. I'm glad you like it. I am fascinated for a minute or two at his technical ability, but become bored with it after that. Certainly isn't something I would want to listen all the way through or really ever again.

• Members

or this video...

Dude, im 34 years old, I know exactly what people thought when they first heard of Yngwie. He was compared favorably to Eddie Van Halen (since that was the only "fast" guitar player most people could name). After the first album none of us gave a crap about the dude, he's a one trick pony. He's an amazing player but he belongs in a circus, all his songs sound the same to most American ears.

Oh, and Angus was never considered a "fast" guitarist.

I thought we were over this "who's fastist" argument, at least I thought it ended over twenty years ago.

• Members

malmsteen was the most revolutionary guitarrist, period.

I doubt even 3% of this board would count him as one of their influences. If anything he is the end of that era (shred), you could not get any more fast and you could not have better technique (for that type of music). That's about all im gonna give that guy.

Here is a list of "revolutionary" guitar players, im basing this on them being the beginning of a specific. This is in no specific order:

1. Django

2. Charlie Christian

3. Paco

4. Hendrix

5. Segovia

You see, all these guys changed what people thought it meant to be a guitar player, not just some people but a HUGE majority. Im sure Malmsteen did that for SOME people, but for most of us that knew our {censored} when he first came out he wasn't that big of a deal. This list could be very long, and you could take Paco off, but in reality what we know about guitar has everything to do with a handful of guys like these.

I didn't list Van Halen because to me he's just an offshoot of Hendrix (though Eddie is my favorite guitar player). And I would say that Malmsteen is an offshoot of Eddie (though they are the same age).

• Members

I'll admit that he is fast and somewhere between sloppy and clean on any given day. But he certainly has speed. I thought I would hate him when I saw him at G3 but he was very good and his tone was the best I'd ever heard him have. When I see him play, even today, I'm amazed how quick he plays as well as his obvious ability. I still think Eric Johnson is a much better guitarist though. Eric has much more taste, feeling, and emotion and plays fast enough and only when appropriate.

I personally think Yngvie is arrogant, but I'll never say the man can't play.

And for those who haven't seen it, you have to see the Yngvie Super Amazing Guitar God Lesson. It's old but still makes me chuckle when I see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tuLEmWccM

-Mc

p.s. Who first started using scalloped frets?

• Members

I didn't list Van Halen because to me he's just an offshoot of Hendrix (though Eddie is my favorite guitar player). And I would say that Malmsteen is an offshoot of Eddie (though they are the same age).

I would say that both of these can't be considered agreeable. Eddie was the next big player after Hendrix to revolutionize rock guitar playing, and he had his own unique style. Malmsteen had developed his style almost fully by the time Van Halen released their first material, and bears little resemblance to Eddie.

But I certainly agree that the statement concerning Malmsteen's revolutionary stature is laughable. He was probably the guy after EVH who further developed rock guitar, and the way people approached the instrument, although he wasn't as prominent. After Yngwie came Satch and Vai, at least in the hard rock community.

• Members

Well musical taste is subjective. I'm glad you like it. I am fascinated for a minute or two at his technical ability, but become bored with it after that. Certainly isn't something I would want to listen all the way through or really ever again.

Opinions do vary. I think the same thing about a lot of jazz musicians who certainly have a technical ability to play their instruments, but please don't expect me to actually listen to it.

• Members

Mahavishnu John McLaughlin was around more than a decade before any of these guys.

Yngwie's "concerti" are horrifying abuses of an orchestra for the sake of the arrongance of a megalomaniacal affected pseudo-rococo soloist. Schmalz-y kitch-y second-rate B-movie film score kind of stuff. JMO.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2S2mRY1QeY4

John McLaughlin? You compare a jazz fusion and indian classical music guitar player with a neoclassical Metal gutiarist? In a sense you are giving cred to Yngwie by comparing him with John McLaughlin who is one of the most technically gifted gutarists of them all. Yngwie is the ONLY rock/metal guitarist that can be compared with the likes of John McLaughlin, not musically but technically. Musically, you can not compare them, they play different stuff.

Yeh right..I guess the only reason why the Orchestra let him record his stuff is because he is an "arrogant megalomanian pseudo-rococo solist". :lol:

And you got it wrong, he is not an arrogant and megalomanian rococo solist but more an arrogant and megalomanian baroque solist. You yanks just don't "get" classical music. :p

Archived