Early Yngwie - a masterpiece performance!

Cold Gin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

John McLaughlin? You compare a jazz fusion and indian classical music guitar player with a neoclassical Metal gutiarist? In a sense you are giving cred to Yngwie by comparing him with John McLaughlin who is one of the most technically gifted gutarists of them all. Yngwie is the ONLY rock/metal guitarist that can be compared with the likes of John McLaughlin, not musically but technically. Musically, you can not compare them, they play different stuff.

Yeh right..I guess the only reason why the Orchestra let him record his stuff is because he is an "arrogant megalomanian pseudo-rococo solist".
:lol:

And you got it wrong, he is not an arrogant and megalomanian rococo solist but more an arrogant and megalomanian
baroque
solist. You yanks just don't "get" classical music.
:p

Sorry, but the sleeves are rococo.:rolleyes:

• Members

Thats what makes yngwie far and above my favorite shredder; He doesnt just blindly run scales up and down like say Michael Angelo Batio, hes got an awesome sense of phrasing even while playing at lightspeed.
:thu:

Here's my favorite Wingy Vid;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RNPryFZ-4&mode=related&search=

As for sounding like Blackmore; yngwie always said hes got a huge Blackmore influence, so meh.

that's gotta be the most self-indulgent bull{censored} I have heard in a long time... Good Lord, so much technique and so little talent and common sense.

• Members

That's like saying "umm..dude look he plays the blues scale umm he sounds exactly like BB King".

Yngwie at the age of 16 (!) could give Blackmore guitar lessons and teach him a couple of things believe me. Listen to the tracks in Genesis, that was before that tape that reached USA and Yngwie got discoverd. Yngwie was 15 or 16 when he recorded Genesis. What did Blackmore do at that age? The man is just creepy, if he is not a genius I don't know what a genius is:eek:

...fast fingers..cool....:bor:

• Members

snoring-GrandpaSimpson.jpg

Lots of old guys here..
:D

i honestly cant see why anyone can see anything worth listening too in such 'music'...at music fairs you get real fast guitarist demoing amps and stuff for various companies and its fun to WATCH for a few minutes and think...'whoa..hes {censored}ing fast'...but theres null musical content that i can see...

• Members

You yanks just don't "get" classical music.

That's a gross generalization. I love classical music, and I think if Yngwie did more with a backing orchestra like he did in that video, I'd be more of a fan.

• Members

6. Chet Atkins

7. Robert Johnson

8. Les Paul...

I was about to disagree regarding Les Paul but after thinking about it for a few seconds I completely agree with you. A dude with chops that thought completely outside the box regarding technology of that era . Thanks for the other two as well, I wish I would have posted them. :D

I hate lists but it would be nice to get organized and compile a real list based on all our opinions (from this site). Have a couple of old timers run the thing, let the rest of us come up with our top 10-20. Specify which one of the top 10-20 most influenced us (they get extra points for being influental). Let the old dudes enter their two cents and compile the data we gave them, produce the list.

If it wasnt for this site I would have never guessed how much of an influence John Frusciante has had over the last 15 years.

• Members

If it wasnt for this site I would have never guessed how much of an influence John Frusciante has had over the last 15 years.

I didn't know he'd had any, to be honest with you. And this is not a troll post, since I actually love the band and his playing. It's just that I've never heard a guitarist play and thought to myself "There's a guy who was influenced by JF"... I don't even remember ever reading about a famous guitarist who named him as an influence. Then again I am a bit out of the loop in terms of "modern" music these days.

• Members

Listen to the solo particularily. This should convince all that Yngwie was without peer already in his early twenties. No wonder he has such a huge ego..geniuses are allowed to have it.
:cool:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5oli8rM90Ek

Meh!

Anyone else not particularly missing the 80's. The only thing remarkable about that decade was Wayne Gretzky. Otherwise I just think of the 80s as "The Time of Reagan." Dark days indeed, and the music sucked.

I didn't realize that,at one time, Yngwie was thin.

OK, I just don't get it, I'll admit it.

• Members

i honestly cant see why anyone can see anything worth listening too in such 'music'...at music fairs you get real fast guitarist demoing amps and stuff for various companies and its fun to WATCH for a few minutes and think...'whoa..hes {censored}ing fast'...but theres null musical content that i can see...

Your loss.

• Members

Meh!

Anyone else not particularly missing the 80's. The only thing remarkable about that decade was Wayne Gretzky. Otherwise I just think of the 80s as "The Time of Reagan." Dark days indeed, and the music sucked.

I miss the 80s. skintight pants, no AIDS except in san francisco gay bath houses, lots of great bar bands (and lots of terrible bar bands), lots of drugs... lots and lots of drugs...

• Members

I didn't know he'd had any, to be honest with you. And this is not a troll post, since I actually love the band and his playing. It's just that I've never heard a guitarist play and thought to myself "There's a guy who was influenced by JF"... I don't even remember ever reading about a famous guitarist who named him as an influence. Then again I am a bit out of the loop in terms of "modern" music these days.

I was talking about people on this site listing him as an influence. But many of the new bands interviewed in guitar magazines list him as an influence as well. Also, there have been more then a few threads related to him and I was suprised at the amount of love shown for the guy. I like him as well but I just never realized so many people felt the same, if it wasn't for this place you would never know that.

• Members

I was talking about people on this site listing him as an influence. But many of the new bands interviewed in guitar magazines list him as an influence as well. Also, there have been more then a few threads related to him and I was suprised at the amount of love shown for the guy. I like him as well but I just never realized so many people felt the same, if it wasn't for this place you would never know that.

Influences can be good or bad...:wave:

• Members

Meh!

I grew up in the 80's and i don't miss it. You will find that many people my age (34) were glad to see the 80's go while anyone slightly older (36 and up) wish it could have lasted longer. Kinda like the Seatle thing, I was 18 when that hit and it seemed like a breath of fresh air. But I had friends who were a little older that feel and continue to feel as if it ruined all their fun (which boggles my mind honestly).

I do tend to lump the 80's in with all that hair metal {censored} and that's wrong. During that time The Police, U2, Van Halen, AC/DC, etc. created some of the most lasting rock music of the last 40 years.

Archived