Apogee Ensemble: the FireFace killer?

Brittanylips

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it depends on the price and how well-integrated it really is. I've seen some snapshots that seem to indicate that you have to go into the preferences to trim the pres. If it were set up so that you could trim the pres through the Logic Mixer or Environment windows, that seems like it might be better. Through the prefs, it seems maybe even less convenient than simply calling up the RME mixer from the dock.

In otherwords, I'm definitely intrigued, but I'm not ditching my Fireface yet. More info needed.

--Mark

• Members

Here's what's said about it in the Logic Pro 7.2 Crossgrade info sheet:

Integrated support for new Apogee Ensemble interface

Logic Pro 7.2 offers integrated support for the new Ensemble Firewire audio interface solution from Apogee Electronics, providing superb Apogee sound quality, mix-and-match expandability, and breakthrough pricing. Multiple parameters

• Members

Looks very promising.

I wonder if you could connect 2 of them together or just with

a Fireface.

Will it have the same quality as the other Apogee gear ?

What's the price ?

Could I use it with a G4 ? ( I guess so )

I wonder.

More info ... anybody ?

BLips, I still have the bitter aftertaste of being a unappreciated Logic PC orphan lingering in my mouth... I used that as my main program for a very long time - starting with Notator on an Atari back in the late '80's, and upgrading along the way through all the Logic upgrades, only to be unceremoniousy dumped along with the other 1/3rd of their user base who happened to be running on PC's. It will be a long time - if ever - before Apple lures me into using Logic again. It was a big step just getting me to buy a couple of iPods - one for me, and one for my wife. ;)

But the new Apogee does look like a cool product. Hopefully they will come out with something similar for the PC users of the world. Considering Apple's move to Intel processors, I see little reason why Apogee couldn't do so fairly easily.

• Members

I hear it's $2k.

Although being able to control everything directly from the DAW is really nice, I like some level of control and metering on the unit itself.

If I ever buy into logic, might have to give this unit a go, I hear Apogee is top notch with their pre's and converters.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

BLips, I still have the bitter aftertaste of being a unappreciated Logic PC orphan lingering in my mouth... I used that as my main program for a very long time - starting with Notator on an Atari back in the late '80's, and upgrading along the way through all the Logic upgrades, only to be unceremoniousy dumped along with the other 1/3rd of their user base who happened to be running on PC's. It will be a long time - if ever - before Apple lures me into using Logic again. It was a big step just getting me to buy a couple of iPods - one for me, and one for my wife.
;)

I feel your pain!

As you know, Apple's plan (like everything Apple) involves hardware/software integration, which they could not achieve by continuing to support Logic on the PC. Frankly, they have yet to achieve that integration of Logic on the Mac, but are making progress (and this is a step in that direction).

And hey, if you're a 2 iPod family, perhaps there's a possibility of luring you into buying one of Apple's forthcoming computer-entertainment systems (anticipated later this year) that will coddle your iPods and run Logic. Just try resisting a bite from one of them apples. ;)

-PL&B

• Members

Originally posted by mandoman

I hear it's $2k.

Although being able to control everything directly from the DAW is really nice, I like some level of control and metering on the unit itself.

If I ever buy into logic, might have to give this unit a go, I hear Apogee is top notch with their pre's and converters.

$2k is what the Apogee guy said as well.

I am using Apogee Rosetta 800 converters, and can't say enough nice things about the sound quality. Never used their mic preamps.

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

$2k is what the Apogee guy said as well.

I am using Apogee Rosetta 800 converters, and can't say enough nice things about the sound quality. Never used their mic preamps.

When Apogee came out with the Trak2, there was skepticism about their ability to produce a mic pre on par with their converters. However, they got some expert expert help, and the pres in the Trak2 are surprisingly awesome, and compare favorably with some high-end classics.

Reportedly, the guy who built the pres for the new Ensemble is the same guy who built the pres for the Trak2, and has mumbled that the new ones in the Ensemble are even better.

-Peace, Love, and Blips

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

BLips, I still have the bitter aftertaste of being a unappreciated Logic PC orphan lingering in my mouth...

C'mon Phil... still???

That was about 3 years ago. Are you still using the same computer you had 3 years ago?

There's no reason a person can't have a PC and a Mac. I'd guess you already have more than one computer.

Didn't you see Apple and Microsoft (Go Seahawks) sitting next to each other at dinner Friday? Can't we all just get along? ;)

• Members

There are 2 reasons I predict it will be a great addition to, but NOT a killer of the FireFace.

1) Price. The Apogee will probably be priced at 2 to 3 times the Fireface, and the Fireface isn't cheap.

2) Integration with Logic, but not other apps. Not everyone is thrilled with the all integrated approach, especially those like myself who are unfortunately married to Logic's competitor.

• Members

Originally posted by amplayer

There are 2 reasons I predict it will be a great addition to, but NOT a killer of the FireFace.

1) Price. The Apogee will probably be priced at 2 to 3 times the Fireface, and the Fireface isn't cheap.

2) Integration with Logic, but not other apps. Not everyone is thrilled with the all integrated approach, especially those like myself who are unfortunately married to Logic's competitor.

The Apogee is $1999, and will work with any other OSX audio program that supports CoreAudio, including DP, Live, Reason, etc. etc... (basically all of them except PT). It will use a class compliant OSX driver.

B.G. - Apple

Compatibility with any CoreAudio software applications

• Members

Originally posted by steadyb

The Apogee is $1999, and will work with any other OSX audio program that supports CoreAudio, including DP, Live, Reason, etc. etc... (basically
all of them
except PT). It will use a class compliant OSX driver.

B.G. - Apple

If $1999, I stand corrected. Where did you find that price?

I am aware it will work with CoreAudio, but will not have the level of integration with other DAW software that it will with Logic.

• Members

I am aware it will work with CoreAudio, but will not have the level of integration with other DAW software that it will with Logic.

It will have no less integration than any other firewire device does. But it will be the only one with Apogee converters and mic preamps.

Apogee

• Members

Given Apogee's prices, that's a reasonable guess. However, the reason why the Ensemble will cost only slightly more than the FF, and untypically little for Apogee (given what's in this thing) may have to do with Apple

The existence of something like this is so important to Apple's development of Logic on the Mac, it's possible that Apple may actually have subsidized its R&D. If it were an Apogee product alone, it is hard to imagine this low of a price.

This is only a guess, I have no direct knowledge of an Apple stake in it. But i wouldn't be surprised.

Where the FF has the advantage seems to me in its flexibility. The FF still has way more inputs and outputs, and is very much a swiss army knife of an interface.

-PL&B

• Members

excerpted

Originally posted by Brittanylips

The existence of something like this is so important to Apple's development of Logic on the Mac, it's possible that Apple may actually have subsidized its R&D. If it were an Apogee product alone, it is hard to imagine this low of a price.

This is only a guess, I have no direct knowledge of an Apple stake in it. But i wouldn't be surprised.

I don't see a country of origin on the back panel. And it apparently has an international power supply. Anybody hear anything?

This would probably be a high margin item for Apple Store placements. I wouldn't be surprised either.

• Members

Originally posted by steadyb:

The Apogee is $1999, and will work with any other OSX audio program that supports CoreAudio, including DP, Live, Reason, etc. etc... (basically
all of them
except PT). It will use a class compliant OSX driver.

Even though Pro Tools doesn't support CoreAudio, I would imagine it should work fine with Ensemble if the Apogee unit were to be used with it like a Rosetta 800 - as a converter for, say, a Digi 002. Any word on that, steadyb?

If so, I see one in my future

• Members

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

Even though Pro Tools doesn't support CoreAudio, I would imagine it should work fine with Ensemble if the Apogee unit were to be used with it like a Rosetta 800 - as a converter for, say, a Digi 002. Any word on that,
steadyb
?

Well, it has lightpipe an spdif, so I suppose you might be able to go into the 002 digitally. But since it isn't quite out yet, that's just a guess.

• Members

Originally posted by Geoff Grace

Even though Pro Tools doesn't support CoreAudio, I would imagine it should work fine with Ensemble if the Apogee unit were to be used with it like a Rosetta 800 - as a converter for, say, a Digi 002. Any word on that,
steadyb
?

If so, I see one in my future

Archived