Anyone using Mac Mini for serious recording?

offramp

• Members

My G4 died last night; second time in just under a year. Looks like it'll be the processor, again.

Kinda fed up with this particular machine. Looking at options; wondering if any of you are doing some serious work on the Mini?

I'm running DP 4.12 on X.3.9, with a MOTU 896. To date, I don't think I've exceeded a little over 30 tracks with plug-ins. Don't know if that's the exception or the rule for me just yet.

I hafta admit it'd be really cool to have that little stack sitting behind my LCD, contributing to a much cleaner setup. I also hafta admit that relying totally on Firewire for ALL my data flow is unnerving.

So...what's your scoop?

I dunno bud... it seems a bit underpowered for that sort of thing. Have you considered a pizza box? The new iMacs look promising. My folks just bought the brand neqw one, and Songrytr has the first generation 20" model and really likes it. AAMOF, his wife has a Mini, so I'm sure he could give you a better comparison analysis of the relative speed and suitability for recording than I can.

BTW, I'm not trying to ignore you - I'm waiting for the client's okay before I can tell you all about the stuff I'm doing for the client in Colorado. :)

• Members

I've kinda wondered about this too. I mean, if you have a G4 and are getting stuff done, wouldn't a Mac Mini be fine even though it is not as fast as some of its Mac counterparts?

So far, I've been running audio from external firewire drives and not having a problem with it on a G4 (1.5MHz) with OS 9.2.2 and OS X.

Obviously, the Mac Mini is not completely ideal for audio, but it seems to me that it could work. Yes? No? :D

• Members

The Included HD is a 4200rpm drive,so you'll have to get an external fw Drive or pay extra for a faster internal drive,and also pay to have enough Ram(I think it ships with 256 basic). Even with the extra's your fairly under powered for the money and will probably have problems opening exsisting G4 projects. An i-Mac or used G4 are probably your only solutions,or hold up a bank and get a G5 or a new Mattell.

• Members

See...now...the bank thing has been crossing my mind often, lately. About every other week in the paper there's another "How NOT to do this" story, so I'm getting some good pointers.

Kinda looking at the iMac's, as well. Knowing I'd have to get externals for my (currently) internal drives was putting me off of that; yet, here I was eyeing the Mini, as there are external cases available to match that I could put my existing drives in.

Pushes me back to the iMac. BUT...that STILL leaves me dependent on Firewire for ALL data flow. Current machine is/WAS a G4 MDD 1.25 Ghz. All drives internal, save for one 10G 2.5" that was the original HD for my Pismo laptop.

Keeping an eye on eBay.

• Members
Originally posted by offramp

My G4 died last night; second time in just under a year. Looks like it'll be the processor, again.

I kind of overlooked that. There's really no way any Proc should die unless it's overheating,and it's only overheating for 3 possible reasons,either it's being overclocked or the heatsink/fan combo was/is not sufficient,or wasn't mounted properly. If you know for sure it's the Proc and not the PSU or something else you may want to consider another Proc replacement,but this time with a better heatsink/fan replacement as well and make sure it is mounted properly and it's not being overclocked. That would cost you a lot less and buy you time for the upgrade you really want instead of an interm one.

• Members

No overclocking. Heatsink is the original. I took a LOT of time to make sure that the proc was properly gooped with transfer compound.

Usually, when heat issues occur, there's bizarre behaviour exhibited prior--my Powerbook flipped out a few years ago, shortly after I bumped the RAM to 1G. It was pretty funny--but there was no warning, at all. Everything just stopped.

• Members

Heatsink is the original.

I remember when some friends of mine were complaining that they thought their new G4's seemed like they were overclocked to them and they were having issues,not saying that's the case here,but getting a new proc(for resale at least)and a better heatsink and fan might solve your problem.

when heat issues occur, there's bizarre behaviour exhibited prior--

Not always,trust me.

my Powerbook flipped out a few years ago, shortly after I bumped the RAM to 1G. It was pretty funny--but there was no warning, at all. Everything just
stopped

Ditto. Either way,your going to have to replace the proc just to resell it anyway ,and good heatsinks and quality fans are fairly cheap. At the very least it should buy you more time,if not completey solve the problem. I forgot what the Mac equivalent to Bios is,but if you do replace the proc/heatsink/fan it might be a good idea to check the temps now and then,in fact a good test would be to compare the temps with your old fan compared to your new one if you go that way to see if there's a disparity. If there is,a new fan/heatsink will probably solve the problem. I could see maybe one defective proc burning out,it's rare but it happens,but 2 in the same machine? That tells me it's heat problem.

• Members

I have a mini and a powerbook, the mini is basically a repackaged iBook. It basically does what my powerbook can do.

I'm currently using logic Express 7, and DP4.1, no problems with sessions of 32-48 24bit stereo tracks. I use virtual instruments exclusively. Depending on what plugs I'm using I'll freeze a few tracks if the cpu load approaches 50%.

All my audio sits on an external 7200 rpm firewire drive.

I also use this machine for web development, DVD authoring, and video editing.

it's not the most powerful machine, but I've haven't maxed it out yet. As far as macs go it's a moderate powered machine, anything with a G5 will smoke it.

It's already paid for itself with a couple of DVD projects I did on it.

Here are some interesting tests that Sweetwater did, they were able to record 80 48KHz/24 bit tracks, with a mini using 4 828mkIIs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/motu/

Also can be used in a Logic firewire node.

:cool:

• Members

Went ahead and got a used processor from my local Mac guy. $289...a bit steep, IMHO, but better than waiting for eBay, etc. Plus, I help out a small business.

Running TTP on it right now, directory stuff.

gdoub, nice to know the mini is doing that for you. Really, the only issue I have with the mini is relying on Firewire for everything.

As for the heat issue...

I really can't imagine it. One fan or another is always running on this machine. It sits in a open-ish space, wood floor, on G-risers. If there's a piece of software I can use to monitor temps, I'll give it a shot.

• Members

Went ahead and got a used processor from my local Mac guy. $289...

Outta curiosity, what kind of processor did you purchase (Apple? Sonnet? Mercury Extreme? Something else?) And what did you have before (both originally and then your replacement, if applicable). Thanks!

• Members

As for the heat issue...

I really can't imagine it. One fan or another is always running on this machine. It sits in a open-ish space, wood floor, on G-risers. If there's a piece of software I can use to monitor temps, I'll give it a shot.

The fan on the proc itself may not have been powerful enough RPM-wise . Apple makes mistakes too sometimes.

• Members

With the new IMac having the dual core Intel CPU, it makes sense to go to a 20" model, load it up with a gig of RAM, a big HD and an additional, external HD (no expansion inside the unit itself) and you are all set.

The Mac mini is good if you aren't doing anything CPU or HD intensive - things like the internet or word processing, not for audio or video.

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Outta curiosity, what kind of processor did you purchase (Apple? Sonnet? Mercury Extreme? Something else?) And what did you have before (both originally and then your replacement, if applicable). Thanks!

Original Apple all the way. All three times.

Won't do Sonnet. (Just like I won't do Western Digital--Blisterin' Digiloss--for drives. Had one too many bad experiences.)

I also have the knack for finding the bizarre, transitional Macs that no one supports/develops for to the level that they do others, and diving into them. FIrst Mac?...7300/200. Next?..B&W G3, rev. 1....next? G4 1.25 SP MDD.

I should have been an X-Wing pilot.

• Members

Originally posted by Alndln2

The fan on the proc itself may not have been powerful enough RPM-wise . Apple makes mistakes too sometimes.

You should know--right now--that I am an Apple enthusiast...not zealot.

I'll leave it at that, and trust you get the message.:thu:

• Members

as some one that has listened to l the laptop stories ...:cry:

I don't think my trust issues will allow me to invest that much money in a platform / device with so many problems the PC the good folks at Perfect Solutions assembled for me has run flawlessly, it runs Reason Sonar and ever vsti I wanna use with out pause.

I just can not take the chance of any of those stories becoming part of my computer music history. I would love to fire up reason in the tube or waiting to see the doctor but....:eek:

• Members

When I got my laptop I was thinking I'd finally get a chance to move around to do some recording... I have a MOTU 828mkII for an interface.

I packed it all up exactly one time... and by the time my two backpacks were overstuffed with $3000 worth of computer, interface, mics, etc -- and I still had to put together my music gear -- I thought, where's that MiniDisk and Sony stereo mic?

Back to the issues at hand... I'm impressed by the apparent capabilities of gdoubleyou's Mac Mini. That's a level of performance I wouldn't have expected from a fairly modest machine. Good stuff.

Archived