Best place to buy amp tubes online?

Tweedledee

• Members

I know this probably should be posted in the amp forum, but we all know what usually happens to threads over there...

I'm looking to retube my Peavey Classic 50. It sounds fine clean, but on the dirty channel it has a bit of "fartiness" that's been slowly getting more pronounced over the past couple of months. I know very little about amps, but I'm assuming that means I have a preamp tube that's going bad.

I've had the amp for a little over a year and the previous owner, who had it for 3 years, had never changed the tubes. So I figure I'll just replace them all and get a fresh start.

So where have you had the best luck buying tubes online? I want somewhere that I can call, tell them my amp and how I like my tone, then have them just send me what I need.

Also, which tubes do you prefer? JJ? EH? Sovtek?

And do I need to rebias? I heard that the Classic series amps are self-biasing. Is that correct?

Thanks!

• Members

I have used Eurotubes, with great results. fast email replys, fast shipping and the guy will tell you what you need. I think they only stock JJs though.

edit:

hes also got full retube kits available (basically he just groups what you need, but he offers differrent describtions according to what sound you are looking for)

Heres the ones for C50s

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=33

• Members

I like JJ Tesla power tubes but I find that the JJ preamp tubes seem a bit too dark and muddy for my taste. I tend to go for Electro Harmonix or Ei Elites when it comes to preamp tubes. The Eurotube guy is cool, but he only sells JJ's. Lately I've been getting my tubes from the guys below. I've had no problem with with of them:

http://www.tubedepot.com/

or

http://www.thetubestore.com/index.html

• Members

I have used Eurotubes, with great results. fast email replys, fast shipping and the guy will tell you what you need. I think they only stock JJs though.

edit:

hes also got full retube kits available (basically he just groups what you need, but he offers differrent describtions according to what sound you are looking for)

Heres the ones for C50s

yeah/...... I've had the same experience with Eurotubes

• Members

edit:

Heres the ones for C50s

+1

• Members

edit:

Heres the ones for C50s

+1 for Eurotubes.

• Members

dougstubes.com

Doug is the man. In four years buying from him I've NEVER had a bad tube.

I've bought from Doug and the service was great. Also consider kcanostubes.com. He's another good online dealer too. Both guys even visit and post on these boards.

Archived