Went out to my favorite shop and ordered a Gretsch G5120...

woodsmandan

• Members

There's a big difference between a true hollow body (floating bridge) and a SEMI hollowbody (solid block connecting the front to back which the tune-a-matic type bridge is connected to.) People seem to gloss over this point when selecting a guitar but it really makes a huge difference in terms of sound, feedback characteristics...etc. I find it hilarious that people pay so much attention to things like ebony fingerboards versus rosewood fingerboards in terms of tone....but ignore MAJOR stuff like this.

• Members

Ok, I'm down to this :

- Wait until december and get the orange one from my favorite, helpful little shop.

- Go to Montreal's mean big stores and get a black or a burst now...

Orange: that classic Gretsch looks...

g5120orange.jpg

Burst...unusual for a Gretsch, but more unique looking...

g5120burst.jpg

Ahhh...classy black, a Gretsch in tux !

g5120black.jpg

I can't decide !!! Help me !!!
:D

Those are beautiful guitars, but I'd think I'd go for the orange:)

If you don't mind me asking, what are they asking for this guitar in Montreal?

Here in Toronto, I found at couple at different shops priced around $800 CDN, which is steep, considering they sell for $600 US, and the CDN dollar close to par with the US greenback now...

• Members

Those are beautiful guitars, but I'd think I'd go for the orange:)

If you don't mind me asking, what are they asking for this guitar in Montreal?

Here in Toronto, I found at couple at different shops priced around $800 CDN, which is steep, considering they sell for $600 US, and the CDN dollar close to par with the US greenback now...

At Steeve's and Italmelodie, they go for 640$CDN for black and 670$CDN for burst and orange, but no one has the orange in stock.

• Members

Is the one you're looking for?

It's warpdrive Music on eBay:

That's the 5129 with Dearmond pickups. They're very much like Dynasonics and have a great sound. I have the 5127, same guitar but in powder blue instead of red.

Dan, any luck when you called John at Cream City/Warpdrive or Joel at Shanghai?

~Blackbelt

• Members

That's the 5129 with Dearmond pickups. They're very much like Dynasonics and have a great sound. I have the 5127, same guitar but in powder blue instead of red.

Dan, any luck when you called John at Cream City/Warpdrive or Joel at Shanghai?

~Blackbelt

I haven't got the chance to call them yet...I have been pulling 12-15 hours days all week...I'll sure try to talk to them over the week-end or monday, as I have, finally, a day off.

• Members

Hey, how do those Dearmond pickups sound?

I like them a lot. They're very similar to the Dynasonics in my 6120 DSW. I think the Dynasonics sound crisper, but the Dearmonds are a suitable choice for a similar sound.

I know of a lot of folks on the Gretschpages who planned on swapping out the pickups in their 512X but were pleasantly surprised by the sound of the stock Dearmonds.

~Blackbelt

• Members

There's a big difference between a true hollow body (floating bridge) and a SEMI hollowbody (solid block connecting the front to back which the tune-a-matic type bridge is connected to.) People seem to gloss over this point when selecting a guitar but it really makes a huge difference in terms of sound, feedback characteristics...etc. I find it hilarious that people pay so much attention to things like ebony fingerboards versus rosewood fingerboards in terms of tone....but ignore MAJOR stuff like this.

Boy, ain't that the troof.

• Members

Thanks to this post, and Ratae C. for suggesting it, I went out and played this Gretsch 5120 yesterday. Too convenient, because this store is literally right next to my office. And they just happened to have one in stock, orange. A bit pricier than someof the online places, but I could probably haggle or get some free stuff. Plus they do setups for free for 3 months.

But I really liked this guitar. I thought it had a really nice warm, jangly tone, different that anything else I own (strat, Tele, LP, SG, Harm) which is exactly what I am after, different tone. It looks great too. Rather large, but I could get past that pretty quickly. I see why you want one. As soon as I sell my Epi Custom LP, I am getting one of these.

• Members

It's weird...I have a 6120, a 6119 and a 5238, yet...I still GAS for one of the 512X series (ideally gold or red)...they are just nice guitars and those pickups are great. I'd want the one with the B6 instead of the B7 though...can't remember if that's the early version or the later version....they changed it at some point.

Archived