Went out to my favorite shop and ordered a Gretsch G5120...

woodsmandan

• Members

...but they are backordered until december...DECEMBER !!!...what a downer..

I'm in Quebec, Musiciansfriend or other US web dealers wont ship it out here and I don't like E-Bay, so I guess I'm screwed...

So what should I do ??? Wait or get something else ? The shop had a nice Electromatic Pro Jet in stock, cheaper than the G5120...silver sparkle...it was nice but a little on the flashy side for me...

Damn, I wanted a G5120...:cry:...who wants to sell me one ?;)

5120orng_m.jpg

• Members

Check with John M. at Cream City Music in Milwaukee (also known as warpdrivemusic.com on eBay). They'll smoke MF's prices anyway. Also check with Joel at Shanghai Music in Oklahoma. Joel will also be much lower than MF's prices.

Both are large Gretsch dealers and straight up honest to deal with.

~Blackbelt

• Members

Check with John M. at Cream City Music in Milwaukee (also known as warpdrivemusic.com on eBay). They'll smoke MF's prices anyway. Also check with Joel at Shanghai Music in Oklahoma. Joel will also be much lower than MF's prices.

~Blackbelt

Thanks, I'll call them...who knows...:thu:

• Members

I bought an Agile Cool Cat Prestige for 450.00 bucks and just slapped on a pair of High Sensitivity Filtertrons. Cost me 600 bucks and it plays and sounds way better than the Gretsch White Falcon I owned for 10 years and sold on Ebay for $2,400.

DSC04828.jpg

DSC04827.jpg

• Members

i may be wrong about this but if you ordered a new one it won't look exactly like the one you've got pictured there. it'll be the new style 5120 with the slightly smaller f holes and the single bar bigsby. still an excellent guitar. i have one and i love it.

• Moderators

~Blackbelt

I've dealt quite a bit with Warp Drive Music, getting stuff albeit small bits to the UK.....BRILLIANT guys.

• Members

if you're in Quebec, you're not that far from the US. Take a drive down. I live in Maine and I go to Quebec regularly and it's not that far
:)

As much as it would be fun to spend a day or two driving down the Maine coastal roads, it would increase dramatically the cost of that cheap axe...the same if I order it from the US I believe...

But searching the main stores in Montreal, I found some black and sunburst ones...the black is particularly beautiful. I had my mind fixed on the orange, but I might be tempted by the black...

• Members

Just be glad all you have to do is wait for a bit. I love Gretsches, but I can't afford the upscale versions, and as far as I can find out they don't do a single left hander in the Electromatic line. Actually, I've yet to find anyone that does a guitar in those big semi and hollow Gretsch styles left handed that doesn't cost the earth. :( Surely I can't be the only lefty who'd love one? There's got to be a market for at least a 5120 in lefty.

• Members

If they've got open tuners the chances are they're Grover Sta-tites in which case they're very very nice tuners.

No idea, Gretsch web page says only "Chrome-Plated Die-cast Tuners". I think they'd mention if they used name brand tuners.

• Members

Ok, I'm down to this :

- Wait until december and get the orange one from my favorite, helpful little shop.

- Go to Montreal's mean big stores and get a black or a burst now...

Orange: that classic Gretsch looks...

g5120orange.jpg

Burst...unusual for a Gretsch, but more unique looking...

g5120burst.jpg

Ahhh...classy black, a Gretsch in tux !

g5120black.jpg

I can't decide !!! Help me !!!:D

• Members

If you're going to go used, try to get one from the first batch... Those had closed tuners and all around better hardware as far as I know.

I was put off by the open back tuners at first. I was thinkinking it would probably need an upgrade. But after living with it for a while I'm pleasnatly surprised. The tuners do their job and tuning stability is good. I'm going to keep them.

• Members

That's a sweet looking cool cat, guitarcapo.

Are those normal sized filtertrons? Did you have to build a brace or anything to mount them?

Yea. they're normal sized. I really like the sound of Filtertrons but I hate paying thousands for a guitar so I often retrofit them in other guitars. If it's a solid body it's usually just a matter of screwing them into the base of the pickup and covering up the route mismatch with the pickup rings:

2.jpg

junior.jpg

For hollowbodies it's a matter of fixing a bar of hardwood under the pickup that the Flitertron's screws mount to. Then you simply screw the humbucker ring's adjustment screws into the same piece of wood to raise and lower the pickup. If you use just the right size drill, the screws go into the wood and hold really well. I used the original hunbucker rings on that guitar. They're exactly the right width from side to side, but slightly large fron head to tail.

It doesn't look bad enough that I'm planning on ordering the Filtertron pickup rings. They would be a touch more flush against the pickup but they would involve drilling new holes and adding wood for the screws to anchor in iside the route etc. This guitar is done.

DSC04827.jpg

Archived