What affects tone more, pickups or amplifier?

Gravity

• Members

Between these two options, what do you think has a greater effect on tone?

From my experience, the amplifier has the most dramatic affect.

The amplifier is the cake.

But once you get the right amplifier, finding the right pickup to compliment said guitar through said amplifier is the icing on the cake.

How about you?

• Members

But once you get the right amplifier, finding the right pickup to compliment said guitar through said amplifier is the icing on the cake.

How about you?

yeah, amp for sure...otherwise we would all have great tone for the price of a new pickup:lol:

a good amp is essential for good tone.

• Members

The amp. The guitar amp is like the body of your entire guitar setup. Compromise that and you will lose the main component which brings your pickups, effect pedals, and guitar all together. It is crucial to choose a good amp. Do visit http://guitareffectssecrets.andy-ng.com/13/guitar-amp-explained/ to learn more about the many types of amp available...

• Members

+1 and i for one, refuse to take part in this trollathon, i'll watch though

:snax:

No, no trolling here.

I just see lots of threads from people asking about pickup swaps only to find out that they are playing through a so-so amp.

I stated my opinion. I just wanted to see what others thought.

• Members

I'd say amp, but one interesting thought came to my head. Exempting crap small practice amps with uber-gain and rubbery sounding cleans, single coils vs. hums might have a pretty drastic effect on your sound.

That said, nothing a little shindiggery on your volume and tone knobs and your EQ can't work it's way around.

• Members

How about you?

Fingers. :wave:

• Members

The amp.

No matter what pickups you have, the amps character will still show through.

A good example;

Just because you have EMG's, it won't turn your Fender Twin Reverb into a metal amp. At least, not without help from a pedal or two. :wave:

• Members

Quick test: play a Strat and a 335 through a Twin. They'll sound exactly the same because the main tonal signature you'll hear will be that of the Twin.

Then play the same two guitars through a Marshall. They'll also sound exactly the same because the main tonal signature you'll hear will be the Marshall's.

Right?

Or ... uhhh ...

Go on, enlighten me.

• Members

To state the obvious first - there's always going to be a fair bit of tonal difference between, say a humbucker and a Strat single coil.

But...

In my experience of different amps and different Strat pickups, the amp has a far, far bigger impact on overall tone than the brand of pickup - even taking into account the fact that some have more/fewer windings than others, use different types of magnet, employ a noiseless design, etc, etc...

There really isn't that much to a traditional pickup, all things considered - it's a fairly simple device (pickup manufacturers want us to believe differently, of course ;)). With amps you have to consider the various permutations of: pre-amp design, power-amp design, type of components, type/brand of tubes, size/type of speakers, cabinet wood, cabinet size, etc, etc...

Quantitatively speaking, changing pickups from one brand to another makes about the same difference as changing the amp's tubes from one brand to another. Now, swap the whole amp and you're talking big changes..... :cool:

• Members

To state the obvious first - there's always going to be a fair bit of tonal difference between, say a humbucker and a Strat single coil.

But...

In my experience of different amps and different
Strat
pickups, the amp has a far,
far
bigger impact on overall tone than the brand of pickup - even taking into account the fact that some have more/fewer windings than others, use different types of magnet, employ a noiseless design, etc, etc...

There really isn't that much to a traditional pickup, all things considered - it's a fairly simple device (pickup manufacturers want us to believe differently, of course
;)
). With amps you have to consider the various permutations of: pre-amp design, power-amp design, type of components, type/brand of tubes, size/type of speakers, cabinet wood, cabinet size, etc, etc...

Quantitatively speaking, changing pickups from one brand to another makes about the same difference as changing the amp's tubes from one brand to another. Now, swap the whole amp and you're talking big changes.....
:cool:

This whole argument - 'amp' vs 'pickup' - is based on a flawed premise, as Alec points out above. An amp is a complex assembly of many interacting factors (you can radically alter an amp's sound and response by changing speakers or tubes), whereas the PU is only one aspect of another complex assembly: the guitar, in which wood, electronic components, construction methods, hardware and finish all play their part.

If we reframe the question to 'amp vs guitar', it gets a lot more sensible. Muddy Waters was once quoted as saying that even if he forgot his guitar and had to borrow one at the gig, he'd still have his sound as long as his Super Reverb was there.

So let's propose two hypothetical scenarios:

1) You're summoned to a jam or recording but your car breaks down and you have to use public transport. You can schlep your guitar (and a pedal or two) but you have to leave your amp. You phone ahead, and you're told that (if it's a live gig) someone will loan you an amp and (if it's a session) that the studio has Amplitube, GuitarRig or some such available for you to use.

2) You're booked for a gig/session, but for family/soclal/dayjob reasons you have to originate from somewhere other than wherever your gear is. You arrange with a friend that he'll pick up your stuff and move it to the job, and you'll meet him on the set. Unfortunately, when you get there, you discover that he misunderstood, thought you already had your guitar with you, and he's only brought your amp. Luckily, the studio has a guitar there or, if it's a gig, the guitar player in the other band is willing to loan you his spare.

In which of these situations would you rather NOT find yourself?

Archived