Pickup Height and famous players.

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

I've tended to notice that a lot of famous players have an extremely low pickup height.

If you look at pictures of Jimmy Page or Alex Lifeson......the pickups in their guitars are around the height of the pickup rings or lower.:eek:

All of my guitars are the opposite.:confused:

WTF? I don't get it? :confused::cry:

• Members

Thats because Les Pauls were made correctly back then and you didnt have to jack the pickups up all the way to account for a screwed up neck angle.

You can also see some examples in the new Guitar Player.

That must be it......because Strats, Teles, Lps.....etc.....all of them I've had to crank the pickups up pretty good to get it right.

• Members

It probably wasn't a conscious decision; the neck angle is pretty random nowadays.

Seems that way to me too.

Production Gibson TOM bridge heights are all over the place for the same action from "waay up in the air" to "oops, I've run out of downwards adjustment."

• Members
I've tended to notice that a lot of famous players have an extremely low pickup height.

If you look at pictures of Jimmy Page or Alex Lifeson......the pickups in their guitars are around the height of the pickup rings or lower.
:eek:

All of my guitars are the opposite.
:confused:

WTF? I don't get it?
:confused::cry:

Just about every HB guitar I've ever bought, the first thing I did was to lower the pickups and set the poles. What's not to get? Set them how you like them. Lower definitely gives you better articulation/note separation in most cases(to a point, anyway)

• Members

Just about every HB guitar I've ever bought, the first thing I did was to lower the pickups and set the poles. What's not to get? Set them how you like them. Lower definitely gives you better articulation/note separation in most cases(to a point, anyway)

But you're sacrificing output.

Archived