Painted/high gloss necks are crap!!

soliloquy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah - while I wouldn't say a Painted neckback is "crap" - I DO prefer a more satin-ey feeling neckback. (I posted about what to do in a thread just recently... had some good advice:

oh yeah, i forgot about that thread when the search function disappeared. I have all different necks (glossy, satin, oiled, etc), and it's not too big a deal for me, but i do like to apply Meguiar's #7 polish to the glossy necks and then carnauba wax to make them really slippery.

and the guy who says wash hands was right on. I wash my hands like crazy before i touch my guitars, and wipe em down well after.

• Members

they say "tru-oil necks feel the best. i guess you can really shine those up too.

nitro finish gloss necks feel sticky for a while. you can rub a brown paper bag on the back of a nitro neck and it makes it super slick. dont ask me how, but it does.

i personally love gloss poly necks. if they feel sticky, that means i need to wash my hands. after doing so, i have no problems.

and note that i live in a very hot, humid climate where this is a big problem when playing guitar. average overall temp is 84 and average humidity is 80%

• Members

i dont really see the point of having a guitar's specs saying, rather boasting 'maple neck' when it has a disgusting high gloss finish on em that makes it very hard to slid up and down the neck....

unless you have VERY dry hands, and your dead skin starts to fall off like snow flakes, high gloss necks suck...

anyone else with me?

and they pretty much the only reason i dont wanna get a high end guitar. if i would end up sanding down the paint on the neck, that may {censored} up the guitar....and i dont trust myself.

what do you do to work around it? or do you actually like high gloss necks?

I've got 2 guitars with oil/wax finished necks and one with a solid high gloss finish... i can safely say that to me it makes very little difference. I have a very slight preference for unfinished necks, but I certainly wouldn't be put off by a guitar that didn't have one.

Why are you trying to grip the neck as you slide/change position? If you need to shift position - just lift your thumb off the neck :thu:

• Members

A guitar without a high-gloss neck feels... cheap. For me personally, high-gloss is also much more comfortable

Musicman guitars all have oil/wax finished necks... hardly cheap. the Peavey USA wolfgangs have/had oil/wax finished necks. Most bolt on neck guitars have a solid matt finish... and plenty of those are quite expensive.

I've only really seen high gloss solid finishes used extensively on set and thru-neck guitars (and really cheap bolt-ons, but that's really just a coat of paint to hide the crap wood underneath).

• Members

while i would rather have a satin finished neck, i wouldnt have an issue buying a high gloss neck. It has nothing to do with playability, i just like to feel the grain a bit. just a personal preference.

Yeh that's how I feel, it's a cosmetic and a 'feel' thing. Neither of which really has anything to do with playability.

• Members

...high gloss finish on 'em that makes it very hard to slid up and down the neck....

Just put a good quality polish on the back of the neck and it will be very fast. Unfinished necks tend to warp and the fretboard can come up and off of the neck.

• Members

I don't like oil-finish simply because necks with that get to looking dirty very quickly. Otherwise, I'm not much fussy. I prefer satin on cheaper guitars where the gloss tedns to be thickly applied and have that plasticky feel (though I've also played satin neck that are very cheap and plasticky too). I did think it might bug me when I got my Epi LP with a glossy neck, but it doesn't. As long as the individual guitar feels good, I don't much care. I guess though if i was having my "money no object" Strat or Tele made by the custom shop, it'd be a highest gloss possible on the fingerboard, with a satin finish to the back of the neck.

• Members

I think you'll find that cheap gutiars with gloss finishes on the necks are too sticky.

I thought i didnt perticularly like painted necks till i played my firs Ran, as long as i wipe it down its fine i tend not to sweat loads so I dont gunk up the finish and make it sticky....

• Members

High Gloss can be very nice. Some folks however have odd chemistry in their hands which causes oils's and sweat to make a glue/film if you will on the neck.

Keep a rag handy and wipe it down constantly if your gonna buy high gloss neck'd guitars.

I actually play much better on a slick neck rather than an unfinished.

• Members

i dont really see the point of having a guitar's specs saying, rather boasting 'maple neck' when it has a disgusting high gloss finish on em that makes it very hard to slid up and down the neck....

unless you have VERY dry hands, and your dead skin starts to fall off like snow flakes, high gloss necks suck...

anyone else with me?

and they pretty much the only reason i dont wanna get a high end guitar. if i would end up sanding down the paint on the neck, that may {censored} up the guitar....and i dont trust myself.

what do you do to work around it? or do you actually like high gloss necks?

I'm with you 100%

• Members

Really depends on my mood. Some days I prefer one over the other (hence why I steel wooled one of my necks). I do like the prestige necks a lot though, and will probably get a guitar with one of those next.

Archived