Painted/high gloss necks are crap!!

soliloquy

• Members

i dont really see the point of having a guitar's specs saying, rather boasting 'maple neck' when it has a disgusting high gloss finish on em that makes it very hard to slid up and down the neck....

unless you have VERY dry hands, and your dead skin starts to fall off like snow flakes, high gloss necks suck...

anyone else with me?

and they pretty much the only reason i dont wanna get a high end guitar. if i would end up sanding down the paint on the neck, that may {censored} up the guitar....and i dont trust myself.

what do you do to work around it? or do you actually like high gloss necks?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

try an unfinished neck...or if you have a very cheap neck, try sanding it down...or go to a store, find a guitar with either an unfinished neck, or a satin painted neck, and you'll see, or should see the difference....

humm..unless you work out without gloves, i dont really understand how high gloss necks dont bother people :S

• Members

Not all high end guitars have super glossy necks, one of the bragging points of Ibanez's best Prestige necks is that they've got a finish that is sanded very thin and smooth. If you don't like gloss, look for a satin-type finish.

On the other hand, my G&L has a glossy neck and this doesn't bother me at all. And a bit of a finish is good for the neck, it protects the wood.

• Members

i dont really see the point of having a guitar's specs saying, rather boasting 'maple neck' when it has a disgusting high gloss finish on em that makes it very hard to slid up and down the neck....

unless you have VERY dry hands, and your dead skin starts to fall off like snow flakes, high gloss necks suck...

anyone else with me?

and they pretty much the only reason i dont wanna get a high end guitar. if i would end up sanding down the paint on the neck, that may {censored} up the guitar....and i dont trust myself.

what do you do to work around it? or do you actually like high gloss necks?

I LOVE gloss necks. All my Gibsons are high gloss. The Carvin C66 superstrat I just ordered - I paid extra for the high gloss finish, in lieu of the satin tung oil finish. So, its just you :p ... high gloss rules !!

• Members

Different strokes.

I'm with you on gloss necks, so don't feel you're alone. The one thing keeping me from buying the Squier VM SSH Tele is that glossy neck. It's also kept me from pulling the trigger on the set-neck Reverends.

No biggie, I'll probably just wander across the aisle to the Squier Custom II Tele instead.

• Members

Ernie Ball necks are nice ... I own an Ibanez Prestige, the finish is sort of "in the middle" on the spectrum of glossiness to rawness. Its what I prefer now.

I used to have a Schecter C-1 Classic and I sanded the neck down to expose the bare maple ( crazy, I know ), and it did give me the feel I wanted, but after long hours of sweaty playing, the wood becomes a bit damp and cool. Looking back on it I should have put tung oil on it or something.

• Members

Different strokes.

I'm with you on gloss necks, so don't feel you're alone. The one thing keeping me from buying the Squier VM SSH Tele is that glossy neck. It's also kept me from pulling the trigger on the set-neck Reverends.

No biggie, I'll probably just wander across the aisle to the Squier Custom II Tele instead.

when my buddy and i started playing guitar, we both got VERY {censored}ty guitars...well, mine was better than his coz it was a 'SAGA' guitar kit that i put together. his was a squire stratocaster.

since i'm more hands on, and never happy with what the market gives me, i grabbed a steal wool(as suppose to a sand paper) and went at it with my guitar neck. so the gloss was still there, just a lil scratched up. he did the same with his, and it works fine....

thats one thing i like about squirs. they are cheap, so you torture em

• Members

I hapen to like high gloss necks. Different strokes.

But, you can give a gloss neck the "satin" treatment by rubbing it with some fine steel wool. That will take some take some of the "stickiness" out of the finish.

• Members

you can buy satin finish necks from warmoth and other custom guitar companies

some fenders have satin finish necks

so do some ibanezs

so do some esps

you can find lots of high end guitars with satin finish neck (the zakk wylde gibson lp)

i also like the satin finish, a much faster feel

however my hands sweat so much that it doesnt really matter after thirty seconds

• Members

since i'm more hands on, and never happy with what the market gives me, i grabbed a steal wool(as suppose to a sand paper) and went at it with my guitar neck. so the gloss was still there, just a lil scratched up. he did the same with his, and it works fine....

thats one thing i like about squirs. they are cheap, so you torture em

True, and true. I did the same to my Epi bolt-on Jr w/P-90. And Squiers are pretty dang common, little resale value... so I may just have at 'er.

:D

Archived