'Sticky' neck on Les Paul

Tom Shambollix

• Members

Recently acquired my dream, a gorgeous LP Standard (Iced Tea, lovely flame, 50s neck). Plays very nicely, and the Burstbucker Pros are wonderful sweet but powerful p'ups. I absolutely love it and its relegated my other (lesser) guitars down the queue. But - a small niggle - the neck feels 'sticky', especially on the back. I have sweaty hands when playing, and I guess the nitro finish contributes to my perception of stickiness. Is there a neat trick to overcome this .... or do I just have to play and play the thing until it stops? I don't mind doing that at all, but if there's a 'quick fix' (short of sanding the back of the neck - I ain't doing that).

• Members

Leaving it out definitely helps. I bought a Les Paul this year that was a "case queen" and the neck was sticky on it even though it was a 2001 :freak:

After about a month of leaving it out and playing it regularly, all that is gone now.

• Members

Leaving it out definitely helps. I bought a Les Paul this year that was a "case queen" and the neck was sticky on it even though it was a 2001
:freak:

After about a month of leaving it out and playing it regularly, all that is gone now.

+1

My '03 is still very sticky but I believe it's spent most of its time in the case. I'm going to try to leave it out but not on a stand. I've heard that the nitro can interact with those rubber pad thingies on stands and can damage the finish. I guess I could put an old t-shirt or something between the guitar and the rubber...

• Members

371285.jpg

I would not use anything on the neck ,,,, i did that with a new nitro guitar and was sorry I did it .... no damage from it ,, but it didnt help the situation, the nitro is green ,,, just play the thing ,,in time it will go away. rat

• Members

Pretty simple solution:

1) Man up.

2) Sand back of neck with sandpaper.

Problem solved in less than 10 minutes...
:thu:

Correct. Although if done poorly, it wouldn't look too hot. :freak:

This is why Zakk Wylde Les Pauls come with a raw neck, teh sticky neck syndrome sucks. None of my guitars have painted necks, although I have played some Gibsons with rather thickly painted necks. I can't handle sticky necks. :wave:

• Members
I would not use anything on the neck ,,,, i did that with a new nitro guitar and was sorry I did it .... no damage from it ,, but it didnt help the situation, the nitro is green ,,, just play the thing ,,in time it will go away. rat

I had the same problem he had when my LP was new. I used the 65 on the back of the neck, problem instantly solved. It couldn't have been simpler.

• Members

When I got my les paul the neck felt really sticky. I just got used to it after a while. I played an old les paul deluxe and it was worn perfectly. A 59 profile with a good broken in finish is amazing. For any guitars that I build I use a tru oil finish. Really really smooth. Just keep playin it, after its broken in good it'll play great.

Archived