Original Floyd Rose trems versus "Licensed By"... Comparison with Pics.

baimun

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Okay, this is a lil OT but I recently put an 80's Kramer Focus 6000 neck on an 80's USA BC Rich ST-III body and strung her up. The next day I take the guitar out the gig bag and the high E has slipped out from under the retainer bar and is floating in the air. Does anyone know where I can buy a slightly longer-than-normal string retainer bar? (By the way, I don't know if the retainer bar on the kramer neck was original or not)

May have just snagged in the gigbag?
:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i'm just wondering...what exactly is 'low profile'?

i used to think low-pro is just a cheaper quality guitar when compared to the original...but some people like to argue with that and say that low-pros are better than the originals or what not...

like jackson has a few floyd rose type bridges. one with the fine tuners to the rear of the bridge, and the locking nuts un front. while others are the normal floyd roses with the fine tuners comming first, and then the locking nuts at the rear...and one of them is a 'pro' while the other isnt....

i got a floyd rose on my peavey vortex ex, and i love it!

• Members

^ i think so, yeah. they put schallers on caparisons etc. which are high-priced guitars. Plus schaller make the originals too (though the schaller one looks and feels very slightly different). So, er, yeah, the schaller is one of the "good" ones.

^^ low profile means it sits lower in the body, and the fine tuners sit behind the string clamps, out of the way. it's no indication of quality, it's a term for the style of the trem.

• Members

^^ low profile means it sits lower in the body, and the fine tuners sit behind the string clamps, out of the way. it's no indication of quality, it's a term for the style of the trem.

ahh...that makes sense

so whats the benefit of having a floyd rose sitting higher or lower when comparing to the body?

• Members

^ just personal preference, basically. the "original" style ones sit up a bit more, the low profile ones are more sleek. But it's personal preference, many prefer the original style ones, many prefer the low profile ones, many simply don't care...

Archived