mini-amp or practice amp for USA Fat Telecaster???

Misha III

• Members

Hi!

I need a practice amp, a small one that will be easily portable and will sound good with my new USA (edit) Telecaster...

***Warning*** I don't like heavy metal!!! So, i'm not going to need a big distorsion sound!

I like blues, classic rock, pop, funk and I plan on buying a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe but for now, I'm just interested in geting a small and lightweight practice amp that I will be able to carry easily. I want the best sounding little amp possible, at bedroom volume. I prefer tube over SS!

Also, it might be good if I could use it at home with my Vox Tonelab, but it's not so important because I know that small amps doesn't have a lot of features usually. I want to stay focused on the sound quality and the portability!

What are your suggestions!

• Members

Roland Micro Cube. Sounds good, very portable.

If you are set on a tube amp, look for one that is 1 or 2 watts TOPS. There is no way that even a 5 watt tube amp cranked is going to be anything like bedroom volume. If you're not going to get the tube amo tone, you might as well have the light weight, heaphone jack, and ability to run off batteries of the MicroCube (oir the similar Vox DA5).

• Members

You're definitely not going to want a tube amp to lug around for 20 minutes walking to work and what not.

Asides from the two mentioned above (MicroCube, DA5), there's also the Pignose 7-100 which doesn't have any effects (which I personally don't mind). And the Crate Profiler 5 (quite new, haven't really tried it myself).

Or you could always just play through your computer with programs like Amplitube, Guitar Rig, etc.

• Members

Just get a Roland Mirco cube. They sound good and you could just lock it in your desk.
:thu:

:thu::thu:

I've own three Mesa's, a Reverend and a Marshall 4x12 cab. But I do a lot of practicing on my little Roland MicroCube. I've got two, one for home, one for work.

• Members

Commuting every day If you happen to drop a small tube amp you'll be pissed. A Micro Cube would bounce and just pick it up. There made to take a little tumbling around. Get a nice little tube amp for home use.

Good point.

Come to think of it, You know what makes a pretty neat little headphone / practice amp for cheap. A used ZOOM 505 type pedal. You can get them for like $25.

• Members

In my previous office I had this that I plugged my tele into. Runs on a 9v, clean and dirty channels, and a headphone jack. Perfect for low volume wanking behind closed doors. Plus the added bonus of major cool points while sitting on the desk. No need for it anymore, see my sig if interested.

Note, duct tape is for size comparison only.

100_0534.jpg

• Members

If it has to be tube, then the Champion 600 is really the only qualifying choice in regards to weight, sound and volume.

Otherwise the MicroCube is really good and versatile, or the new mini POD may be worth looking into if you just play by yourself.

• Members

I went back home with my new Tele...

I don't know what i was thinking when I said it was a Fat tele, actually, I've got a Squier Fat Telecaster Vintage modified already, but my new Tele is the usual USA Telecaster, I took the 2-Color Sunburst, maple neck!!

It's beautiful and it sounds awesome with my tonelab! I love it! I also love the setup they did for me on it!

I also came back with a Fender Frontman 15R! SS!!! (Only fools don't change their mind!) It's nice for the price. I don't really like the Micro-Cube (Sorry!) I think it sounds good with humbuckers but not with single coil pickups at least, not with the guitar I had at the time! I want something that sounds "Fender". Also, I needed something really quickly because I do 12 hours overtime tomorrow. I'll have to be at the office but will have nearly nothing to do!

If I find something better, I could still exchange the Frontman for another amp, I guess but right now, it's ok!

Finally MY USA Tele! It's the first time of my life I have such a good guitar!

:wave:

Archived