Whats the facination with Strats?

dizzydog

• Members

I just dont get it. Went out and bought one last year, real nice one non Mexico.

Just so boring. No Floyd, same ole Pickguard as they used in the 60s, No bucker.

What gives? Is it the name or what?

i guess the big question is, can this be played on a LP or nice JAckson?

I think so. Just not by me :D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe it's an age/maturation thing for some people.

Strats are classic, not old school....they're familiar, not outdated....They're kind of like the right woman...eventually (if you're aware enough to notice), all the things you thought you wanted in one kind of chick go out the door, and you realize the value of a good woman and suddenly it all makes sense and you feel that sense of appreciation that you just can't find anywhere else.

Geezus. I'm going to make myself barf:blah:

• Members

You'll understand one day. Everybody does with Strats.

It's kind of like trying to explain to an eight year old boy how he's going to want to spend a LOT of time with the cute little six-year old girl who lives next to him in a few years, instead of trying to gross her out all the time. Sure, he doesn't understand at eight years old...but you'd better believe he understands it at 14!

Some things, you only understand when you get there. This is one.

• Members

I just dont get it. Went out and bought one last year, real nice one non Mexico.

Just so boring. No Floyd, same ole Pickguard as they used in the 60s, No bucker.

What gives? Is it the name or what?

i guess the big question is, can this be played on a LP or nice JAckson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyqgjCKm9nQ&mode=related&search=

I think so. Just not by me
:D

For one...I hate Floyds.....

For two...they have a sound that nothing else quite matches, IMO.

For three...they just look fantastic

For four...the just "fit" better than LPs and other stuff, at least for me. I like the neck on my strat much better than my LP, and the body fit me well, plus I actually like the controls a lot.

I could go on, but that's the main reasons.

• Members

I've been dipping a lot into Blues lately, I own a WildKat and a Fender American Strat... Even though the WildKat gives me that feedback of the hollow body and the warmer P90 tones for Blues, Jazz and Samba... I just adore playing them on the Strat. It just feels so much more comfortable... almost like being 'inside' the guitar body. It's so inviting, almost sensual. Am I digressing? Oopps..

I've always loved all the guitars I've owned and parted with.. Now my Strat I can't fathom parting with it. It's as if it were an extension of me.

• Members

A guitar doesn't need a floyd and humbuckers to be valid. Different tools for different jobs. I have both in my Ibanez and its great, my strat is more traditional and is equally great.

If you want to bash out some satch, don't pick up a single coil strat. If you want to play some shimerring blues, its just the thing

• Members

I think Gilmour could play that on a guitar besides that strat. Given his other equipment and the only thing different being the guitar.

Probably be hard to tell if you only heard the audio.

Best exemple is the solo on "another brick...", played with a Gibson LP with P90's. Ask most people who don't know it, they "hear" a strat ;) .

But we're talking about a guitar player who's use of many effects (with very good taste) is well-known so it's a little bit OT.

• Members

I don't like the tone. To much "chuck" and "wood" sound. I prefer the "metallic" "brittle" "Glass" tone of a tele. The only thing I like about strats is the trem. I hope to design a Tele with a strat trem one day.

Good luck with that! Much of the tonal difference you point out is specifically due to the trem, and to the bridges of the respective guitars. The Tele's bridge PU is bolted to a YUGE slab of metal over which the strings pass before they're anchored at the back of a solid body. The springs of the Strat trem necessitate the removal of a major chunk of wood from the body behind the PUs and, even if the trem is screwed down and blocked off, the springs add a slight but significant natural reverb to the sound. These different construction methods create different sounds, which is why both guitars are so distinctive despite their family resemblence.

With his expensive and shortlived Ltd Edition signature Strat, Jerry Donahue attempted to get around this with a specially-wound Strat bridge PU mounted a little further from the bridge than standard: all part of his project to create a Strat which turned into a Tele when you hit the bridge PU. (This was intended to match his sig Tele -- now reincarnated as the Peavey Omniac -- which tried, very successfully, to turn into a Strat when you flipped to the neck PU.)

Maybe you should audition the VG Strat, roll the modelling dial to the 'Tele' setting and see if it takes you where you want to go.

• Members

You'll understand one day. Everybody does with Strats.

It's kind of like trying to explain to an eight year old boy how he's going to want to spend a LOT of time with the cute little six-year old girl who lives next to him in a few years, instead of trying to gross her out all the time. Sure, he doesn't understand at eight years old...but you'd better believe he understands it at 14!

Some things, you only understand when you get there. This is one.

when I was 14 I didn't want to hang out with 12 year old girls, it was the older ones

• Members

Good luck with that! Much of the tonal difference you point out is specifically due to the trem, and to the bridges of the respective guitars. The Tele's bridge PU is bolted to a YUGE slab of metal over which the strings pass before they're anchored at the back of a solid body. The springs of the Strat trem necessitate the removal of a major chunk of wood from the body behind the PUs and, even if the trem is screwed down and blocked off, the springs add a slight but significant natural reverb to the sound. These different construction methods create different sounds, which is why both guitars are so distinctive despite their family resemblence.

With his expensive and shortlived Ltd Edition signature Strat, Jerry Donahue attempted to get around this with a specially-wound Strat bridge PU mounted a little further from the bridge than standard: all part of his project to create a Strat which turned into a Tele when you hit the bridge PU. (This was intended to match his sig Tele -- now reincarnated as the Peavey Omniac -- which tried, very successfully, to turn into a Strat when you flipped to the neck PU.)

Maybe you should audition the VG Strat, roll the modelling dial to the 'Tele' setting and see if it takes you where you want to go.

I've already gone through it in my head and realized this. So I just decided to throw a 'bucker in there (the p-90 sounding DiMarzio Bluesbucker) and a strat trem with Esquire-style wiring. Different, yes. I could easily try to copy EVH and make it a Strat, but I'm not really comfortable with any shape other than a Tele. I did a Kisekae mock-up but the color scheme is a little unorthidox, and most people here would probably puke.

• Members

Also, a couple years ago, I could see what the fascination was with strats. The sound, the feel etc.

I bought one but then I realized that I just didn't play that style of music (blues) despite how much I liked it. So I figured I'd wait a few years for when I get into that sorta stuff and then I'll get another.

Archived