Guitars with P-90 pickups

Tone Deaf

• Members

I've been looking for a nice midrange guitar with P-90 pickups, and am having a hell of a time even finding one.

As pretty much a diehard Fender/Gibson guy, I checked out the Gibson faded double cutaway. The guitar sounded good, but I was not impressed with the quality of the guitar itself. The damned thing wouldn't stay in tune and it just really seemed slapped together.

So what other options have you all seen? Both Hamer and PRS make one, but the Hamer (Studio P-90) is a little more than I want to pay. I don't want an Epiphone. Does Gibson make any Les Pauls with P-90s anymore? I did see that the Reverend Daredevil fits the description of what I'm looking for but I have never seen or played one.

I'd prefer to spend under $1000 because this most definitely won't be my main guitar. I'd just like to have a guitar with P-90s laying around when I want that sound, but I don't want a $100 POS either. Any opinions would be welcome.

• Members

fender makes the TC-90

that gets alot of love here from the people that have one.

its a hollow body-set neck, double cut telecaster, with 2 P-90s, everyone Ive played sounded and played great.

they run about 500-600 I think, and they are nice guitars, familiar, yet different.

• Members

TC-90 is what came to mind for me too.

But of you're willing to open your mind up beyond Fender/Gibson there are a great many choices out there.

Yeah, I'm open to other options, which is the reason for the post. I don't really want to go with the SG Junior as I alread have an SG Special. The TC-90 looks interesting, although I've never seen one in a store. I keep find myself checking out the Reverend website. Anyone have a Daredevil or Reverend in general? Where are they made and how's the quality?

• Members

Yeah, I'm open to other options, which is the reason for the post. I don't really want to go with the SG Junior as I alread have an SG Special. The TC-90 looks interesting, although I've never seen one in a store. I keep find myself checking out the Reverend website. Anyone have a Daredevil or Reverend in general? Where are they made and how's the quality?

I have an SG junior that i have basically replaced with w Reverend Daredevil 290.

The Reverend is a great value. It's an import, but the build quality is top notch for an import.

• Members

gotsme a tc90

I'd recommend it.

also a

Squier Tele Custom II

Gibson SG Classic

Gibson SG Junior Special (w P-100s)

Gibson SG Junior (single P-90)

Wilson Brothers VM-75

Gibson Studio w BFG (P-90 neck BB-3 bridge)

By Thursday I'll also have the Gibson LP Classic Custom P-90

Those Reverends do look tempting, I should get one so I can have 9 90s. :D

:freak:

warhawk_2_390_toba.jpg

roundhouse_290_toba.jpg

Either of those two make my heart go pitter pat. :love:

• Members

You really owe it to yourself to try one of these SG Classics. I just played one this weekend and I was really impressed. FWIW, I A/B'd it against a PRS Soapbar II SE and it was no contest. SG Classic by a knockout.

I played that PRS over the weekend and it was pretty uninspiring. Dull and plucky sounding. Not alive at all.

• Members

P7130003.jpg

Hondro,

That a beauty. It looks just like the SG "special" (I think it may have been a 'deluxe') that I had back in the early '70s. I've owned many (I mean many) guitars over the years and that little SG was just the sweetest sounding axe I think I ever owned. It suffered a serious 'concrete kiss', broke the neck. I had it repaired, but it was just never the same. Eventually traded it off on something.

Is that a fairly recent model? I might have to track one of those down and fondle it a little. :D

Archived