Really Fast Players: How do you hold your guitars?

bdecorsey

• Members

This is a quesiton for the guys for whom speed is an important or at least significant focuse for their practicing/playing.

How do you hold your guitars in order to fascilitate the fastest playing?

Do you anchor the heel of your hand or your pinky? Which leg do you rest the guitar on? How high up on your body do you need it?

• Members

This is a quesiton for the guys for whom speed is an important or at least significant focuse for their practicing/playing.

How do you hold your guitars in order to fascilitate the fastest playing?

Do you anchor the heel of your hand or your pinky? Which leg do you rest the guitar on? How high up on your body do you need it?

I'm definately not the fastest player in the world and there are guys here that can play circles around me..

But I've found that the classical position is best for me to comfortably play at a fast pace up and down the neck. When standing up, guitars that are V shaped are the most comfortable for me because the neck stays up really high just like a classical guitar. It's easier for me to keep my thumb on the back of the neck that way...Regular strat style guitars always slow me down a bit at certain places on the fretboard because my thumb starts to wander.

Just my experience...others are certainly different. I've seen guys shred on just about anything.

• Members

I'm not a super-shredder (yet) but playing speedily is a goal for me. As it stands I can play reasonably fast. I anchor both the heel of my hand and my pinky, very lightly of course. I rest my guitar on my left leg (classical style) with a footrest. When standing up I try to get my guitar to rest at the same height as it does when I am sitting, which is nerdishly high.

However, you should do whatever you find best facilitates fast playing for you. Lots of players anchor (YJM, Petrucci) and I'm a lost don't.

• Members

I focus on playing fast. I sling my guitars a bit higher but not so it's looks dorky (with no disrespect to early Beatles who had them up to their chins), bottom of forearm resting on body while R hand hovers, I never sit. I gotta bop to the groove or I don't feel it and I can't do that sitting. What good is speed without emotion?

• Members

I ain't the fastest guy around by any means but I have my occasional bursts...

Way back in the day when I was working on getting faster I would set my strap so my guitar was at the same level sitting or standing. I didn't anchor but I did keep the knuckle of my pinky sliding against the pickguard or the strings. I still have a pretty big callouse there.

Today I wear my guitar much lower and there's really not much thought behind it, I just put it where it's comfortable. I'm not that concerned with speed anymore.

Archived