Picks,what size do you use? Metal or Plastic?

bluesrock70's

• Members

I've been playing Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9's on my electrics for many years. What is the advantage of the thicker strings? I've never really thought about it. I just got a set once and liked them and the rest was history. If I can gain sound by having thicker strings, I'll give it a go.

And very seldom do I use picks, but when I do it's the blue Tortex.

• Members

I have always used .38mm plastic, 9's on strings and sometimes 10's. Am I loosing a lot of tone?
:confused:

Thicker strings to my ears, give a better tone, but there are plenty of great players who have used 9's or 10's and sounded awesome.

.38mm is a pretty thin pick. I don't know about what kind of music you're playing, but if anything, I'd think they'd effect your single note playing more than anything. Light picks are just way to flexible for me to build up any real speed with. Great for strumming, but terrible for leads.

After reading the article on the Dunlop Jazz III's in Guitar One mag, I decided to give them a try. They are definitely different than you standard pick, and I've grown to quite like them. I always have choked up pretty high on my picks so the size doesn't both me, and it's pretty easy to tuck if you want to do some hybrid picking. A little harder to get used to if you play rhythm though. Not much to work with, ya know?

The attack is very percussive, and seems to add some sustain as well to your tone as well. All in all, I'm quite happy with 11's and the Jazz III's. I had been using the Dunlop Tortex 78mm before that and I like them still as well though.

• Members

I have been going with my fingers and thumb for some time now.

But I use FENDER Extra Heavy, regular shape. but Tortoise Shell. I really think I get the best Tone with them. I also have a Brass Dunlop that sounds great but it go's through strings to fast.

For the longest time I used the Fender Heavy 351's I think theri ID # is. At any rate they are BIG and all three corners could be used as a pick. Understand what I'm refferring to? I had heard that was all Santana used and I tried them and liked them. Well when I was using the picks all the time. I always used the round edge for chords. So the pointier edge ws really getting less and less use. Oh well...........just my Two Cents.

• Members

I've used the black Jazz IIIs for years. Lately I've come to favour the slightly snappier sound of the small drop shaped Fender picks, mostly Heavy or Mediums.

I mainly use 11-49 D'Addarios, but I just got a new axe that came with 13s, and I kinda like it

• Members

Plastic - medium to heavy or whatever I find on the floor or can borrow if I'm out.

Electric Strings - Hybrids - 10's on the wound, 9's on the solid - rather have bendable and painless playing than mega tone.. at leat right now while building my speed and cleaning up my lead playing.

Archived