Bridge pickup for Les Paul

guitarbilly74

• Members

I have a Les Paul Standard Faded on order from AMS, it should be here next week. I already know I will need to replace the bridge pickup because I do not like the tone of the Burstbucker Pro.. especially with heavy distortion.

I was wondering what would be a good pickup for that guitar, my favorite pickup is the Duncan Custom Custom but I use it on a strat-style guitar. I wonder if this pickup would work on the LP or would it be too muddy?? What about the JB? The tone I am looking for is a thick, creamy lead tone a la Gary Moore, John Sykes etc....

I appreciate any input on the subject and if you have some clips, please post them too!

Thanks!!

:thu:

• Members

Give it a chance before you jump to conclusions. I had a set of Burstbucker Pros on my Les Paul Classic and they sounded very Gary Moore-ish. Some of those original PAF's had AlNiCo V magnets (Gibson just kind of assembled them from whatever magnets were available). I ended up putting the BB's on my SG Standard and I think that they are perfect for a darker sounding guitar.

I ended up with a Duncan Seth Lover 55 on one of my Les Pauls and a Duncan Pearly Gates on my other LP Classic. Here's a clip--the clean parts are the Duncan Jazz neck pickup; then I kick the volume up for the Pearly Gates both thru a Marshall handwired 18 watter.

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffrey.bauer/jazzpearly.mp3

• Members

Give it a chance before you jump to conclusions. I had a set of Burstbucker Pros on my Les Paul Classic and they sounded very Gary Moore-ish. Some of those original PAF's had AlNiCo V magnets (Gibson just kind of assembled them from whatever magnets were available). I ended up putting the BB's on my SG Standard and I think that they are perfect for a darker sounding guitar.

I ended up with a Duncan Seth Lover 55 on one of my Les Pauls and a Duncan Pearly Gates on my other LP Classic. Here's a clip--the clean parts are the Duncan Jazz neck pickup; then I kick the volume up for the Pearly Gates both thru a Marshall handwired 18 watter.

I already tried these pickups a couple of times and I didn't like them, but you're right, I will give them a try through my rig when I get the guitar.

edit: btw, I really liked the tone you're getting on your clip. I will definitely consider the Pearly Gates (plus I LOVE Rev. G's tone!)

• Members

Yes, he's using the Pros, the stock BBs are unpotted and not suitable for live stuff at the gain and volume he sometimes uses

He uses a lot of gain live.

My BB Pros are not wax potted (they are actually BB 5's). I bought them before Gibson started potting them in 2002 or 3.

• Members

I'm going to put Rio Grande's in mine. A BBQ Bucker at the bridge and a Genuine Texas at the neck. Great pups check them out.

I bought three BBQ's at one time once to put in some of my gigging guitars, thinking I would like them. Didn't care for them at all. Not quite as bad a a JB, but pretty spikey in the upper mids. Not a very full/wide response.

• Members
I have a Les Paul Standard Faded on order from AMS, it should be here next week. I already know I will need to replace the bridge pickup because I do not like the tone of the Burstbucker Pro.. especially with heavy distortion.

I was wondering what would be a good pickup for that guitar, my favorite pickup is the Duncan Custom Custom but I use it on a strat-style guitar. I wonder if this pickup would work on the LP or would it be too muddy?? What about the JB? The tone I am looking for is a thick, creamy lead tone a la Gary Moore, John Sykes etc....

I appreciate any input on the subject and if you have some clips, please post them too!

Thanks!!

:thu:

The stock pickup or a 498 should be perfect for that stuff. Anything in a potted slightly heated PAF type should get you in the area. Pearly Gates rolled back a hair are as good as it gets for those tones.

• Members

hey dude, if you dont want the burstbucker that comes stock in your guitar, i'd be happy to swap it for the Seymour Duncan JB that came stock in mine. It's nickel covered, 4 conducter wire, and i've had the guitar for about a month. interested??

Yes, maybe we can do that. I will give the stock pickup a try first though, but if I don't like them I will probably swap it.

Archived