Guitar Fetish Horror Stories

jjpistols

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe because it's his Farging guitar, and he WANTED to...
:freak:

I think I know the answer and didn't need to ask the question.

He's embarrassed and ashamed to play a guitar that has squier on the headstock so he had to get a fender decal.

• Members

You guys make way too big a deal of all this.

You get pissed when there is a fake Gibsun on a musicland crap lp copy

You get pissed when someone changes the Squier to Fender.

Actuallly I take the Squier 51 off of the 51 headstock because it is a very one dimensional looking logo. And it comes off easilly.

Nobody's trying to fool anybody. It's a 51 anyway, the most recognizable guitar in quite a while.

• Members

I got a set of Liverpools and absolutely hated them.
:o

Not only that, but I'm almost positive they were mislabeled with regards to which one was the neck and which one was the bridge.

I purchased two set of pups along with some other stuff and had them shipped all the way to Santiago Chile. You can imagine the shipping costs!

The pups weren't that bad, especially for the price paid and definetly better than the pups that come on imports from the factory.

The problem was that instead of sending a SET of pups (it was either Dream 90s or 180s, I can't remember), they sent me two NECK pups. A small problem that I guess could happen to any company but what pissed me off was that after I contacted them, they said it WAS a set but mislabled. Bull{censored}. Exact same readings on both pups. They didn't offer to correct their mistake either. I wanted to keep trying their pups but that's it, no more GFS for me.

• Members

He's embarrassed and ashamed to play a guitar that has squier on the headstock so he had to get a fender decal.

I'm thinking the only person it would fool is you. But I don't think that's surprising...

Larry

• Members

I own two Squier '51s...the one that you see in the picture above, and this one:

Squier51-1.jpg

I gig every Wednesday night using the Sunburst.

However, to satisfy your presumptions about why I would put a Fender logo on it, here's a very simple answer for you: aesthetics. I think that the black Squier logo on the stock '51s looks very crude and garish, and I find the Fender logo looks far more elegant and appealing. Very much the same way that I think the string spacers look cheap, and upgraded them...and the pickup rings...and the pickguard. However, for all the cheap and crude components that are used, they are great playing guitars, and a wonderful platform for modifications. I took modifying it about as far as I could, and found it very fun, and very educational.

As I stated in a separate thread, I am dead set against putting a Fender logo on a non-Fender, and then selling it as an authentic Fender. However, I have no problem with someone modifying their guitar to their particular tastes, as long as they a) don't sell it, or b) disclose it for what it is.

I have no intentions on selling this one, and had it built that way for my own enjoyment. That is enough for me, and since I own it, it should be enough for you as well...

• Members

You guys make way too big a deal of all this.

You get pissed when there is a fake Gibsun on a musicland crap lp copy

You get pissed when someone changes the Squier to Fender.

Actuallly I take the Squier 51 off of the 51 headstock because it is a very one dimensional looking logo. And it comes off easilly.

Nobody's trying to fool anybody. It's a 51 anyway, the most recognizable guitar in quite a while.

+1. I don't think that anyone is going to confuse the guitar that I posted with a $4,000 Fender Custom Shop model...

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I ordered one of their old Duncan Invader pickup copies, can't remember what they called them, i think it was the Crusader. I have to say that pickup was really {censored}ty. It squealed like a stuck pig. I returned it and got my money back. Jay was good about returning my money.

Since then I have ordered a set of the Premium Texas single coils and a set of the Premium II Alnico single coils and I have to admit they are great sounding pickups and I am very happy with them. I am also very happy with the service that GFS has provided to me.

I also just ordered a Xavier XV600 and I hope it meets my expectations.

• Members

The allen screws ends for adjusting the height of the saddles on my Squier '51 replacement bridge are scratchier against the side of my palm than the stock screws were.
:eek:

200px-Brando_apoc.jpg

"THE HORROR!

(but it does load a lot easier and doesn't buzz like the stock saddles did:thu: )

Why did you order a replacement bridge? I think the stock bridge on the Squier 51 is just fine.

• Members

Yea, My MIM HSS had that problem. Nothing my metal filer couldn't take care of.

On the 51's the thing I do on ALL of them is shim the neck to get a slightly higher neck angle- This allows the screws on the replacement bridge to sit flush and increases sustain drastically.

I use 2-3 pieces of fiberglas window screen- A few pieces of Maple veneer work great also- and I always squeeze a little white glue in the screw holes when I reattach those necks- I don't trust the wood on those...

Try it for yourself and see if it doesn't improve the guitar guitar a bit.

Jay

Archived