With a good set of pickups can a Korean Squire rival a MIM Strat or even a MIA Strat?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Hey what up guys. I'm heading back up north to visit home in like two weeks. I've been looking for a really really good price on a used Gibson LP Studio but haven't found the right one yet. Anyways I'm getting antsy and want something new to play. So I figured I'd pickup the laying around pieces of my old Squire Affinity and just put some pickups in it and kinda hold myself over until I get the LP.

Anyways I'm gonna put some GFS pickups in it, just haven't decided which ones yet. I wanted to get your guys' opinions on what I can expect from my Squire with a good set of pickups. Can it sound as good as my fixed up MIM? or could it sound as good as an American Strat? Realistically what can I expect from it? If I can't expect much (which if that's the case I hope someone let's me know) then I'll settle for the GFS 40 dollar pre-wired pickguard just to get the gutiar working again.

Any help would be great!

• Members

I've played MIJ and MIM squiers that were sweet as hell... some of the older ones really hold thier own with anything out there. I guess the same as any MIJ or MIM fender. If they're built in the same factory does it really matter if the name printed on the headstock is squier or fender?

• Members

My (1996) Korean Squier Strat's original tuning machines were sub-par, as far as I'm concerned. They tuned the guitar, and didn't slip, but felt very cheap.

I have swapped them out with a set on non-locking tuners, from my local Carvin shop (they might be Gotoh, but are not marked). These feel much better to me.

The neck it's self is fine, but I did a fret-mill/crown/polish. When I got the guitar the frets did not look good (I don't know it someone had done a bad fret-mill, or if it came from the factory like that.

The original pickup selector was cheap, and malfunctioning, so I changed it to a Fender switch.

The pots haven't given me any trouble.

The body is plywood, and you can see the laminations in the arm-bevel area (though the paint). That bothers me. It really does not look good in the neck-pocket, where the plywood has been carved. I would not buy another plywood guitar (yes, I've heard the arguments for plywood--it's just an aesthetic thing for me).

I have kept the original ceramic magnet pickups, but I don't think they are potted, because they are so microphonic (I only play through headphones, so it's not too big of a deal, but you can sure hear it when I knock my pick against the middle pickup).

I changed the jack to a SwitchCraft.

I would have no problem buying another (at the right price), if it had a solid wood body.

• Members

^

Oh, and I like the bridge saddles, which are the "chunky" cast type (not the stamped-steel type).

But, the tremolo/string block is as small as it could be made (and still perform it's job), and it's made of the cheapest "pot-metal". It has chipped while I was working on it.

• Members

You should be able to get the sound close to or better than a MIM Strat but that's not saying much because MIM Strats IMO are some of the {censored}tiest sounding guitars out there. At least that's the impression I got from mine.

I can't say for sure about any of the GFS pre-loaded pickguards because I haven't heard any personally. I'd actually be surprised if you could get close to the sound of a MIA Strat with one. As for the guitar itself, MIA Strats are much better built than most MIM players realize. They are better in literally every aspect and that does contribute to tone to some degree.

• Members

I think investing in the $40 prewired pickguard set is the way to go. It should sound decent. I don't know if it will rival anything, but all you want is a decent sounding guitar at this point, right? It doesn't makes sense to spend a lot on an Affinity Squier, especially if you sell it later on, you won't recoup your costs. So if a good LP is what you're after, save your money, get the GFS set, install, be happy, and give us a full report soon. :thu:

• Members

I think investing in the $40 prewired pickguard set is the way to go. It should sound decent. I don't know if it will rival anything, but all you want is a decent sounding guitar at this point, right? It doesn't makes sense to spend a lot on an Affinity Squier, especially if you sell it later on, you won't recoup your costs. So if a good LP is what you're after, save your money, get the GFS set, install, be happy, and give us a full report soon.
:thu:

That is very good advice.

There's another way to go though if you want. Get the best pups you can (Fender CS, Fralin, BG, etc.) and replace other parts over time.

Get a good bridge with a steel block, then later a Warmoth body, and after that a top notch neck.

You can slowly evolve the guitar into a custom shop killer over time as your budget allows.

• Members

Hey what up guys. I'm heading back up north to visit home in like two weeks. I've been looking for a really really good price on a used Gibson LP Studio but haven't found the right one yet. Anyways I'm getting antsy and want something new to play. So I figured I'd pickup the laying around pieces of my old Squire Affinity and just put some pickups in it and kinda hold myself over until I get the LP.

Anyways I'm gonna put some GFS pickups in it, just haven't decided which ones yet. I wanted to get your guys' opinions on what I can expect from my Squire with a good set of pickups. Can it sound as good as my fixed up MIM? or could it sound as good as an American Strat? Realistically what can I expect from it? If I can't expect much (which if that's the case I hope someone let's me know) then I'll settle for the GFS 40 dollar pre-wired pickguard just to get the gutiar working again.

Any help would be great!

A friend of mine who has a squire instaled seymour duncan pickups. Including the ones Murray uses. I plYED WITH THE GUITAR AND IT WAS A DIFFERENT INSTRUMENT :) No noise, maiden sound and in genrally pretty satisfying as a backup guitar.

• Members

Any help would be great!

I noticed in your sig you already have a MIM, your Affinity can be as good or better than the MIM by changing the pickups and electronics. Since you alreadfy have the H-S-S on the MIM you might try H-H, GFS is a good source to start. Anyways, will be fun and make you a good backup :thu:

• Members

I have a Squier 51 that I did some stuff to (Earvana nut, Graph-tech saddles, DiMarzio EJ bridge pickup), and it is now a very nice guitar that I play all the time, and the $$ I spent on it was less than what I spent on many of the used MIM fender guitars I own. I've been planning to get a fancier pickguard for it, and a higher-end neck single-coil, and it will be completely tricked-out.

:love:

• Members

The GFS prewired pickguards don't have GFS pickups. They are pretty average sounding. I'd just get a cheap pickguard and toss a decent humbucker in the bridge.

They're not GFS pickups? What are they? Since they're not GFS are they worth it for the price or should I just start scavaging through ebay to get a good deal on something for my Squire?

Can anyone suggest a cheap set of pickups that would significantly improve the sound of my Squire?...the key word being "cheap." And to be honest since I just want the Squire running again I don't care if people suggest vintage sounding, or modern sounding, or whatever. Just a cheap set of pickups that would significantly improve my Squire regardless of genre. Thanks guys! and a huge thanks for the heads up from batotman!

• Members

They're not GFS pickups? What are they? Since they're not GFS are they worth it for the price or should I just start scavaging through ebay to get a good deal on something for my Squire?

Can anyone suggest a cheap set of pickups that would significantly improve the sound of my Squire?...the key word being "cheap." And to be honest since I just want the Squire running again I don't care if people suggest vintage sounding, or modern sounding, or whatever. Just a cheap set of pickups that would significantly improve my Squire regardless of genre. Thanks guys! and a huge thanks for the heads up from batotman!

I thought they were before i bought them. But read the ad, no mention of GFS pickups. They are no names. They're not terrible but you know what I'm saying.

• Members

it's hit and miss. as far as sound goes, some squires are alder just like an mim and some mia's so a good gutting of the electronics is all you will need to get the sound. it's the build quality that becomes an issue. some squires are built well while others are just plain {censored}ed up. that's where the issues are with them, imo. bottom line is for the cost of the pickups and the guts (and if you really want to get serious a fret job or new neck) you may as well get a new mim or a used mia or something.

• Members
For what it's worth- We just redesigned all of the pre-wired guards- So much so that we now brand the humbuckers in the HSS and HH configs as "GFS" pickups- True all still ceramic- which you would expect for the price- But I thin you really can't go wrong with these- especially for the price- Those of you who have bought one recently from us perhaps you can compare them to the other versions on the market- I think we come out on top on this one.

Jay

Archived