how come nobody can play the drums anymore?

• Members

Originally posted by RockViolin

Easy pickins at this point MP. Take it easy...see ya in the funny papers.

Hey I didn't have a lot to work with there

(you didn't smile even a little teeny bit?)

...is this thing on...what are you an audience or an oil painting?!?!

• Members

729.jpg

Those look like Terry Bozzio's drums.

Anyway, let me clarify.

If I put a band together , yes I would want to be competitive. 3-5 members max. Our local clubs here won't pay more.

I want a REAL BASS PLAYER.

A REAL DRUMMER...ME

A real Guitar Player who plays LEAD or RHYTHM.

A Keyboard player.

Now if the Keyboard player wants me to groove to a 20 piece CYBER LATIN PERCUSSION SECTION that he has already programmed for the OCCASIONAL song, yes I have no problem with it, because it will add big to the sound. BUT NOT FOR EVERY SONG Or if he wants to throw in a PROGRAMMED 5 piece horn section or a whole PROGRAMMED string section once in a while,,NO PROBLEM. BUT NOT FOR EVERY SONG It will add big to our sound.

But replacing a real drummer with a drumbox FOR A WHOLE 4-5 HOUR GIG will put the audience to sleep...or should I say in a trance?

By the same token, I wouldn't replace a BASS PLAYER with an automated BASS machine except in an extreme emergency.

Dan

• Members

Drummers are the hardest person to find when forming a band. Most drummers that are any good already have 3-4 other gigs going on, and aren't willing to practice or learn songs. So if you want a drummer who is dedicated to your band, they will usually be of very poor quality, either in ability or socially.

My last band was a cover band that was just starting to work every weekend (paying gigs). The drummer told us he would no longer practice with the band, or learn new material, but would play the gigs. Considering that he was the one who couldn't remember the songs, he needed the most practice. After a couple of months of looking for a new drummer, I broke the band up. :(

Maybe you could take on some young students and teach them to drum, so there may be more drummers in the future. :)

• Members

I'm lucky, my best friend is a drummer, and we started our band together.

He's an average drummer at best, but he knows the songs, doesn't overplay, sings as much as the rest of us, and is fun to hang out with. The best thing about him is he doesn't overplay. Singing helps with that.

:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

how's this for give and take...a guy I know and jam w/ occasionally plays a chris squire ric bass, and pretty damned good, decided he wanted to become a drummer at 44 years old...bought a great kit, cuz he's got it like that and wants to play out gigs (as a drummer. he'll probably be good in a year or so but wants to 'bang on the drums all day..." NOW. Thing is. he lives in a beautiful old restored Queen Anne victorian house, the basement has exposed stone walls and he has his kit set up in the round turreted area of the basement...looks like the Cavern Club in Liverpool, he's also a real handy guy, the new bassist said," a stage would be nice" and within two days the drummer built, wired, and set up this beautiful practice area, great practice venue, the guy is funny, generous to a fault without being grauitous, and it's a great place to hang and drink beer, but the botoom line is he , well ,sucks on the drums and refuses to go back to the bass. We all play out on ocassion and are willing to let it fly as a group and let him drum ,even though the chemistry just ain't there... the bar we play at is local and it's all our old fart friends, they won't mind, but they probably won't dance... but it's all about the music right?

• Members

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley

I don`t care if you are Ringo, this guy is creating another artform.

Same artform, different brush.

I had one of those HR-16's... After about 30 minutes of doing that on those HARD PLASTIC "PADS" your fingertips start to hurt.

I got into the habit of putting a washcloth over the buttons, but it would change the feel. I wonder if he's done anything to the surface of the pads....?

Archived