New Xavieres

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

I found the neck on my SJM to be a real pain in the ass -- sticky/tacky on the back, crap frets, etc. Just didn't jibe with it.

Like I said, if the neck on this guitar is anything like the one on my SJM, I'm done with it.

But I'm gonna stay optimistic and imagine it'll be one of the best necks I've ever played.

I have the Ash Tele -- and the neck is amazingly nice... even forgetting it's a $120 guitar. I have every confidence that the neck you get will be no where NEAR what it seems you have experienced with your SJM. With that being said -- The 3 SX guitars (none an SJM) I have had all have necks that most people would be pleased to play on...

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The prototype from the SX factory might have made a decent cheap guitar for someone but it's nowhere near what the Xaviere feels like. I'm not an expert on finishes and methods of making a semi-hollow guitar but if you're asking me, do the specs that Jay used affect tone, playability and overall play-worthiness of a guitar, I'd have to give a resounding yes. You won't find his finish on a sub $200 guitar unless it's a used guitar. You don't find his electronics on sub $200 guitars. You will not find pickups of his quality on sub 200 guitars.

That's not to say that these guitars will be everybody's favorite. Last night after I changed strings on my Artcore and played it for a bit, I mused that I got this for almost half the store price of it because it was used. I had to ask myself, what kind of guitarist parts with such an excellent instrument. Beautiful tone, looks and great playability. The answer, is it doesn't really matter. I have it now.

I think this is a good point. Would going with a more traditional tele bridge/pup config be not feasible in this price range?

You're gonna be surprised at the twang and spank this tele can produce as is!!

Although, the bridge may be as much a visual appeal consideration. I expect, if there are the daring modders out there, that the mods I'll be seeing will be along the visual. Pickguards, traditional tele bridges, etc.

• Members

But creamsicle huh????

Yes! It would be sooo sweet. No one makes a guitar in that color, it'd be so original, yet it still has that vintage vibe and is just a cool color in general. There are already quite a few people that like the color.

Look how cool they would be.

orangexavieretbr6.jpg

orangexaviere2bm2.jpg

It would be kickass.

• Members

Yes! It would be sooo sweet. No one makes a guitar in that color, it'd be so original, yet it still has that vintage vibe and is just a cool color in general. There are already quite a few people that like the color.

Look how cool they would be.

orangexavieretbr6.jpg

It would be kickass.

Oh my beloved ice cream bar... How I love to lick your creamy center :love:

• Members

You're gonna be surprised at the twang and spank this tele can produce as is!!

Although, the bridge may be as much a visual appeal consideration. I expect, if there are the daring modders out there, that the mods I'll be seeing will be along the visual. Pickguards, traditional tele bridges, etc.

Given the construction, how daring will modders have to be?

• Members

Yeah you guys must be reading my mind-

Shoreline gold, Shell Pink, Fiesta red, Sherwood green- ya know- Fender colors.

I think the Pink won't sell frankly- I wouldn't mind doing something industrial like steel grey with satin chrome hardware-

We're shipping a ton this week so lets see what everybody think once they have them in their hands. You know from th epics they look like everything else- but I think once you handle them you'll see how unique this kind of body construction reacts- I'm blown away but the guitar business has not been very receptive to "NEW"- it likes the same thing over and over again- so we're rolling the dice a little.

But really- from all of the comments here- I think you guys will "get" it.

Consider this my vote for a 600 in sherwood green with a rosewood neck and 2 (or 3) cream p-90's.

I ordered my 700 In midnight copperflake on friday and I'm hoping that it is one of the guitars being shipped today.

BTW Jay, any thought to offering pickguards? There has been discussion and mockups on another forum on this topic. I would really like one for my 700 to protect the finish and the lack of one steered me away from ordering a 600 as well.

• Members

Consider this my vote for a 600 in sherwood green with a rosewood neck and 2 (or 3) cream p-90's.

I ordered my 700 In midnight copperflake on friday and I'm hoping that it is one of the guitars being shipped today.

BTW Jay, any thought to offering pickguards? There has been discussion and mockups on another forum on this topic. I would really like one for my 700 to protect the finish and the lack of one steered me away from ordering a 600 as well.

You can use our standard LP pickguards on the 700's- And as far as protecting the finsh?? Come on- on guitars in this price range just play the {censored} out of em- why worry??

Not loking to do standard teles and strats any time soon frankly- Too many $99 guitars out there- tough to compete.

Jay

OK!! WTFF is a creamsicle?
:confused:

Creamsicle is a brand name, also owned by Unilever, for a frozen dessert which resembles an ice pop, with a center composed of vanilla ice cream, and an exterior layer of flavored ice frozen around a wooden or plastic stick.

creamsicle%20copy.jpg

yum!!

You can use our standard LP pickguards on the 700's- And as far as protecting the finsh?? Come on- on guitars in this price range just play the {censored} out of em- why worry??

Not loking to do standard teles and strats any time soon frankly- Too many $99 guitars out there- tough to compete.

Jay

It's a tough durable finish!!

• Members

you wouldn't have to call it pink. you could call it "coral." :p

looks like creamsicle is the favorite though. could be cool if not crazily overdone and too "fluorescent" looking.

shoreline gold would probably also be a winner. or sherwood green with those cream P90s -- :love:

a model with traditional tele bridge and pickups might be cool, but it could "dilute" the line and not really fit in with the others. plus it would probably be more difficult to produce and still look okay since it would require a pickguard to look traditional, which would add to the cost. the appeal of these to me was the simplicity of the thinline body with the 2P90s and not a lot of extra crap on it. if i wanted a real tele-styel thinline tele, i'd probably just get a squier, or agile or turser or something like that to have the binding.

can't wait to get mine -- ordered on friday nite, hope that means it's in the first batch. :D

Archived