must... build... one... more.... ARCHTOP!

ajcoholic

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

OK trust me I am chomping at the bit to get it going. Every day I walk past the top and back in my shoip and am itching to get it going.

I am actually working this weekend, I write a monthly column for RC modeling magazine (Fly RC - its the 2nd largest RC Airplane mag in the US) and I am working on my review for this month (I test runa nd review engines for them). Since my amp is done, as soon as this review is submitted I am clear fto work on the archtop.

But I have one thing to say to some of you guys I consider friends... I need to tell someone! I just bought my GF an engagement ring. Lets just say I could have picked up about 3 US PRS's for what I spent (but she's worth it) and next day we are travelling out of town to go relax for a bit. We are going to go to Tiffany's in Toronto, ON where I got the ring because she thinks I bought her some earings for a late Christmas gift. Little does she know what I have planned.... :D

So next weekend I am away but I hope to start carving this week... need to relax my nerves a little!

Keep you posted trust me...

AJC

• Members

OK trust me I am chomping at the bit to get it going. Every day I walk past the top and back in my shoip and am itching to get it going.

I am actually working this weekend, I write a monthly column for RC modeling magazine (Fly RC - its the 2nd largest RC Airplane mag in the US) and I am working on my review for this month (I test runa nd review engines for them). Since my amp is done, as soon as this review is submitted I am clear fto work on the archtop.

But I have one thing to say to some of you guys I consider friends... I need to tell someone! I just bought my GF an engagement ring. Lets just say I could have picked up about 3 US PRS's for what I spent (but she's worth it) and next day we are travelling out of town to go relax for a bit. We are going to go to Tiffany's in Toronto, ON where I got the ring because she thinks I bought her some earings for a late Christmas gift. Little does she know what I have planned....
:D

So next weekend I am away but I hope to start carving this week... need to relax my nerves a little!

Keep you posted trust me...

AJC

Congratulations!

Sincerely,

Ye Olde Married Guy

• Members
.... I just bought my GF an engagement ring. Lets just say I could have picked up about 3 US PRS's for what I spent ....

AJC

I just pray to God my wife is not reading this.

She would make me sell all my guitars and buy her something like this. AJ you are a nice guy... but we know that already don't we.

:wave:

• Members
I've been married, the novelty wears off.

But I'm happy for you Andy! Wouldn't you {censored} if she said "I was hoping for a guitar":D
:wave:

Well, I too have some experience in that dept. as this is #2 for me. #1 wasnt quite what I would say a fun experience. But this one is, well, just about a dream come true. She is one in a million, indeed! :D

And would you believe that when I told her I bought her a pair of earings (which of course is a fib) she told me why did I waste money on that and I should have bought myself a nice guitar instead?! No joke! She is a keeper!:thu:

AJC

• Members

Well, I too have some experience in that dept. as this is #2 for me. #1 wasnt quite what I would say a fun experience. But this one is, well, just about a dream come true. She is one in a million, indeed!
:D

And would you believe that when I told her I bought her a pair of earings (which of course is a fib) she told me why did I waste money on that and I should have bought myself a nice guitar instead?! No joke! She is a keeper!
:thu:

AJC

Make her a nice guitar, then ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

OK, its been a while - but I did build two amps, and a guitar for Alchemist so forgive me (plus there's that thing called a job that gets in the way... :) )

Tonight I FINALLY started... at least I feel its now under way.

I made up the body form from 3/4" fir plywood. I made a holding jig for the plates to carve them, and I cut out the top and started carving with the pullshave.

I cut out patterns that will help me carve the top from 1/4" hardboard (according to the patterns in Bob's book).

I spent about an hour after the stuff was prepared actually carving. I am trying to take my time and do a good job. I think another few hours of carving will finish off the outside (then the inside is done).

Here are some pics! So get off my back now... will you! ;):D

AJC

sandingbodyform.jpg
topblank.jpg
toproughcut.jpg
topinholdingfixture.jpg

• Members

Thats all for tonight... maybe more tomorrow.

The spruce carves like butter. The pull shave is very comfortable to use but I have it set fairly aggressive. I will have to lessen the cut to do my final shaves later on. I will probably leave the grinder alone for this one... :)

AJC

Archived